Scott McTominay - Page 35 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scott McTominay

Chripper

6 minutes ago, Scot1 said:

It does, with the inclusion of Patterson and Hanley and Cooper showing that they can play at a decent level, we can go 4-3-3 and get the best out of the players within the squad 

Our central defenders can't play in a pairing at this level. We've had two decades worth of evidence to back that up.

Guest Scot1
Just now, Taylor1996 said:

Our central defenders can't play in a pairing at this level. We've had two decades worth of evidence to back that up.

I think the Centre halves are still the weakest area of the team, but Cooper is playing in a decent Leeds team, Hanley is back in the Premiership, Gallagher always has a good game in a Scotland shirt, Hendry and McKenna are hopefully going to improve. 
But I think the point has come where the benefits outweigh the risk, if we switch to 4-3-3. Especially at home against the Czechs and an ageing Croatia.

1 minute ago, Scot1 said:

I think the Centre halves are still the weakest area of the team, but Cooper is playing in a decent Leeds team, Hanley is back in the Premiership, Gallagher always has a good game in a Scotland shirt, Hendry and McKenna are hopefully going to improve. 
But I think the point has come where the benefits outweigh the risk, if we switch to 4-3-3. Especially at home against the Czechs and an ageing Croatia.

The reason we're at Euro 2020 is because we ditched the back four. To even think about playing with a back four is tantamount to suicide.

Guest Scot1
1 minute ago, Taylor1996 said:

The reason we're at Euro 2020 is because we ditched the back four. To even think about playing with a back four is tantamount to suicide.

Things change, the squad is getting stronger, I’d only go to a back 4 if Tierney is in midfield. If not I think we’d be too easy to go through centrally. 
I think we can afford to take the chance against the Czechs and Croatians. Maybe have to revert to a 3-4-2-1 against England, but would have to see how we played 4-3-3 first. 

3 minutes ago, Scot1 said:

Things change, the squad is getting stronger, I’d only go to a back 4 if Tierney is in midfield. If not I think we’d be too easy to go through centrally. 
I think we can afford to take the chance against the Czechs and Croatians. Maybe have to revert to a 3-4-2-1 against England, but would have to see how we played 4-3-3 first. 

Fair enough.

The only way that I would even contemplate playing with a four is if we had two center backs who played for top teams. In the 90s we had Colin Hendry, EPL champion, and yet even then we struggled with a four. But we're even worse now.

Edited by Taylor1996

Guest Scot1

Gk

Patterson Hanley/Gallagher Cooper Robbo

McTominay Gilmour/McGregor Tierney 

Fraser/ Turnbull Dykes McGinn

Something along those lines.

Fraser /Turnbull and McGinn can rotate easily enough

honestly how good and balanced does that team look.

Youd also be playing McTominay is his correct role within the midfield as a box-box midfielder, Robbo as a left/back. Everyone in his natural position except Tierney who I think would adjust and excel in midfield quickly. 
That’s why the squad screams 4-3-3 to me

Edited by Scot1

3 hours ago, Taylor1996 said:

Fair enough.

The only way that I would even contemplate playing with a four is if we had two center backs who played for top teams. In the 90s we had Colin Hendry, EPL champion, and yet even then we struggled with a four. But we're even worse now.

In the qualifiers for Euro 96 and WC 98 we played 20 games and conceded 6 goals in total, 3 in each campaign.

You call that struggling?

4 minutes ago, daviebee said:

In the qualifiers for Euro 96 and WC 98 we played 20 games and conceded 6 goals in total, 3 in each campaign.

You call that struggling?

At Euro 96 we played with a 4 in the first two matches. 1 point. Against the Swiss we played a three and smashed them... by a goal.

With all due respect to our current centerbacks (that McTominay and Tierney are ahead of in the rankings) neither of them are Hendry, Calderwood, Weir, McLaren, Whyte, etc.

On 5/28/2021 at 7:41 PM, duncan II said:

Fucking gash statement.

On 5/28/2021 at 8:41 PM, Texas Pete said:

I think he’s on the wind up. Either that or he’s pished. 

Nope he's been shite for a year at least. Not as good as made out to be.