Scott McTominay - Page 24 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scott McTominay

Chripper

37 minutes ago, ceudmilefailte said:

Grant Hanley has been outstanding all season playing on the right hand side of the Norwich defence. To me it's a no brainer. 

For me, Hanley is competing with Gallagher for the central centre back position. Don’t think he’s good enough on the ball to step forward with the ball to anywhere near McTominay’s quality. 

Although, all our right sided defenders are poor in that department. Would be interesting to see who Clarke thinks in 2nd choice in that position. Might be Palmer? 

1 minute ago, Super_Scotlandfan said:

For me, Hanley is competing with Gallagher for the central centre back position. Don’t think he’s good enough on the ball to step forward with the ball to anywhere near McTominay’s quality. 

Although, all our right sided defenders are poor in that department. Would be interesting to see who Clarke thinks in 2nd choice in that position. Might be Palmer? 

Could be Jack Hendry soon the way he’s playing in Belgium

10 hours ago, romanticscot said:

I've just had an idea regarding McTominay that I'd like to debate.

McTominay needs to be our starting 11, he is too good to leave out, having him in defence has positives such as he is athleticism allows him to carry the ball up and give us options further up as his distribution is strong, however we can agree he is not a defender but he is tall, like pretty much the whole squad he makes mistakes but in defence if he makes a mistake it can result in losing goals. So, I was thinking is there anyone else right footed preferably that might be a midfielder who can play in defence and allow McTominay to take one of the midfield spots and for me the answer is yes - Ryan Jack. Ryan has shown himself IMO to also warrant a start, he is a different type of player and our pattern of play would change but defensively I think it would be an upgrade and on the counter we have McTominay further up.

This is based on my preference to have a 3 left footers and 2 rights(or vice versa) in our back 5. Other alternative is Grant Hanley and we lose Jack or McTominay, OR move Gallagher to the right of the three and put Cooper in the middle of the three. 

It's an idea.

First and foremost, Steve Clarke should use the three World Cup qualifiers (if they go ahead) to push Scott into midfield.

As far as the three center backs. There's no hard and fast rule that says a right footer should play RCB. Atalanta tore up Serie A last season, and they're doing well this season, with three right footed center backs.

Play our best central defenders, no matter the footedness. I wouldn't experiment with another midfielder in defence, for the simply reason only Jack has the defensive credentials to play there. I'd play Jack in the center of midfield with McTominay and McGinn. 

Our pool of center backs: McKenna, Tierney, Cooper, Gallagher, Hanley, Hendry, Porteous.

It's not bad.

As far as right wingback goes. That's the beauty of using wingbacks, you can drop a midfielder in that position, like we did with Craig Burley.

8 hours ago, Taylor1996 said:

It's an idea.

First and foremost, Steve Clarke should use the three World Cup qualifiers (if they go ahead) to push Scott into midfield.

As far as the three center backs. There's no hard and fast rule that says a right footer should play RCB. Atalanta tore up Serie A last season, and they're doing well this season, with three right footed center backs.

Play our best central defenders, no matter the footedness. I wouldn't experiment with another midfielder in defence, for the simply reason only Jack has the defensive credentials to play there. I'd play Jack in the center of midfield with McTominay and McGinn. 

Our pool of center backs: McKenna, Tierney, Cooper, Gallagher, Hanley, Hendry, Porteous.

It's not bad.

As far as right wingback goes. That's the beauty of using wingbacks, you can drop a midfielder in that position, like we did with Craig Burley.

Would like to see Armstrong at right wing back

3 hours ago, er yir macaroon said:

I remember suggesting this a while back. A potential downside is losing O’Donnell’s height. It could be compensated for if Hendry came in RCB and McTominay moved into midfield. 

Wiki has them as the same height.

Id say Hanley is before Hendry for rcb.

6 hours ago, er yir macaroon said:

If you look at the line ups for the anthems, O’Donnell is almost as tall as McTominay. I admit I was quite surprised. Armstrong is also quite a bit shorter than he appears when there is no one next to him.

SOD is also quite handy with the long throw; not sure if we have too many of those in the squad.

9 hours ago, SkyBlueScot said:

That is brilliant. I watched it at the time and said "if Pogba or Bruno did that the United fans would be purring"

It's amazing to think that there is still an element of Manchester United fans that don't rate him. Meanwhile, I think 100% (or close) of people here adors him... Even though he's technically playing in a new position for him.

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/scott-mctominay-manchester-united-scotland-23332265.amp

“Scott reminds me of Darren. He’s got the same attitude, he’s helpful to people and time is nothing to him.

“He’s kept on working at it and you couldn’t meet a nicer boy.

I remember Jose Mourinho saying the same.

• 3 weeks later...

Every time this boy is let of the leash he is outstanding! Has to be used box to box for us he is absolutely brilliant when he plays that position. He shouldn't be shackled in defence or in a holding role for United or for Scotland he is far better than that! He can do it all in Midfield, great passer, wins tackles, covers every blade if grass, gets forward, scores goals, the boy can do it all! He's our Stevie Gerrard!

There's a valid argument to be made for Scott McTominay to be played up front.

He spent a chunk of his youth career at United playing as a striker. He's the cleanest striker all the ball that we have. He's the best finisher we have. He's tall. He's a great passer. He's composed. He's massive. He's good in the air. He has great technical ability.

Throughout his career, and youth career, he's played all through the middle.

I'd trust him to play as a striker.

A few years ago the very notion of a Scotland player playing "out of position" would have people wetting themselves with laughter, (as they did with the idea of Scotland playing with a back three. Still remember someone sarcastically saying that Jim Baxter should've been played at center back then another saying that Pele should've played in goals), but time has put those people firmly in their place.

16 hours ago, Taylor1996 said:

There's a valid argument to be made for Scott McTominay to be played up front.

He spent a chunk of his youth career at United playing as a striker. He's the cleanest striker all the ball that we have. He's the best finisher we have. He's tall. He's a great passer. He's composed. He's massive. He's good in the air. He has great technical ability.

Throughout his career, and youth career, he's played all through the middle.

I'd trust him to play as a striker.

A few years ago the very notion of a Scotland player playing "out of position" would have people wetting themselves with laughter, (as they did with the idea of Scotland playing with a back three. Still remember someone sarcastically saying that Jim Baxter should've been played at center back then another saying that Pele should've played in goals), but time has put those people firmly in their place.

Probably would be better than our current options up front but would easily be our first choice right wing back and is first choice for just about all the midfield positions. Only position we all of a sudden don't need him appears to be central defence. 

1 hour ago, ceudmilefailte said:

Probably would be better than our current options up front but would easily be our first choice right wing back and is first choice for just about all the midfield positions. Only position we all of a sudden don't need him appears to be central defence. 

He definitely would be, plus it would fit more of our midfielders in. A double pivot of Jack and Gilmour, with Gilmour given license to roam, would be great.

Good call. With his dribbling ability and passing and physicality he'd be a brilliant right wing back.

It's a shame we don't have 4 McTominay's. One at CB, one at DM, one at RWB and a one as a striker. 

14 minutes ago, Taylor1996 said:

He definitely would be, plus it would fit more of our midfielders in. A double pivot of Jack and Gilmour, with Gilmour given license to roam, would be great.

Good call. With his dribbling ability and passing and physicality he'd be a brilliant right wing back.

It's a shame we don't have 4 McTominay's. One at CB, one at DM, one at RWB and a one as a striker. 

He seems to be fairly handy with a keyboard. 

39 minutes ago, Burj_Alba said:

Potential to be our best midfielder since the days of Souness, Lambert or McAllister.

Hats off to McLeish for helping him make the right choice.

You missed Barry Ferguson, but I agree. McTominay could turn out world classish, as could Gilmour, with McGinn and Turnbull not far behind. I’m not ruling out competing in the latter stages of tournaments about 3 or 4 years from now (subject to a top striker). I have no fears about any of the back five positions.. 

Edited by er yir macaroon

32 minutes ago, er yir macaroon said:

You missed Barry Ferguson, but I agree. McTominay could turn out world classish, as could Gilmour, with McGinn and Turnbull not far behind. I’m not ruling out competing in the latter stages of tournaments about 3 or 4 years from now (subject to a top striker). I have no fears about any of the back five positions.. 

Competing in the latter stages of tournaments lol. That's a belter. 

We hadnt qualified for a tournament for 22 years. Let's just concentrate on getting to tournaments more often. 

I do agree we do have some great midfield players. Potentially we could be as good as any other countries in europe in midfield. 

You have no fears over the back 5 positions? We have terrible right backs and we are putting a midfielder at centre back. We could do with a couple of top centre backs to come through who can play at epl level and a couple of quality right backs. 

Marshall

Hanley - Cooper - Tierney 

Fleck                                       Robertson

Gilmour - Jack

McGinn

McTominay - Fraser

Doesn't look that bad a team.

8 players from the EPL. Not bad. 9 when Norwich get promoted, but back down to 8 when Sheffield United get relegated. 

Edited by Taylor1996

27 minutes ago, Taylor1996 said:

Marshall

Hanley - Cooper - Tierney 

Fleck                                       Robertson

Gilmour - Jack

McGinn

McTominay - Fraser

Doesn't look that bad a team.

8 players from the EPL. Not bad. 9 when Norwich get promoted, but back down to 8 when Sheffield United get relegated. 

Sorry, but that line up is radio rental. For wing back you need  a player who can get up and down all game long e.g Robertson) . Fleck has got qualities but he looks like he is blowing out of his arse after half an hour.

McTominey needs to be box to box midfielder not a striker, would rather have Christie as a false nine but very happy to persist with Dykes ( never let us down ). Gilmour has started less than 30 first team matches so no way should be considered, Unfortunate but true.

50 minutes ago, Burj_Alba said:

Gilmour has started less than 30 first team matches so no way should be considered, Unfortunate but true.

McTominay hadn't played many more if any more than 30 when he got capped.

He should have started against Kazakhstan in fact most of us on here thought he would, perhaps McLeish decided on experience, perhaps not, but we all saw what happened.

If Gilmour gets any sort of game time between now and the next set of games he should be right in the mix.

For what it's worth I don't think Gilmour is going to be as good as we all hoped.