Scott McTominay - Page 21 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scott McTominay

Chripper

18 minutes ago, ErsatzThistle said:

Anyone else remember all those smart arse comments that were being made (some by journalists and former players) when McTominay decided to play for Scotland instead of England along the lines of "oh well, he must want his summers off then" and "clearly doesn't care about playing in a tournament."

Wankers.

He's showed them now !

The “summers off” comment was Joey  Barton.  What an absolute bellend he is. Cunt should be (back) in prison. 

2 hours ago, Texas Pete said:

Let’s not pick him again then eh?  🤦‍♂️

What about his run up the right wing that led to our goal? Or his countless pinpoint passes? Yes, let’s concentrate on Serbia’s goal. Dearie me. 

been nice if he had at least attempted to get off the ground

oh i forgot he s a centre mid standing in as a centre half

3 minutes ago, Pocketrocketman1888 said:

been nice if he had at least attempted to get off the ground

oh i forgot he s a centre mid standing in as a centre half

He was knackered and probably wrong footed. He did nothing wrong the whole rest of the match but that’s what you choose to pick up on? Have a day off mate. 

18 hours ago, Taylor1996 said:

Reading comments on Redcafe it's amazing how many of them don't rate McTominay. Even after his midfield masterclass against Everton.

It's rare for a player to be loved by international fans, en mass, but be so divisive to their club fans. 

He can tackle, pass, shoot, he's industries and passionate, he's a monster of an athlete, he's humble and down to earth... And he's all ours.

I love him.

3mrjelry7wy51.jpg

Your average man yoo fan knows fuck all about football. Their opinion means nothing to me

11 hours ago, Texas Pete said:

He was knackered and probably wrong footed. He did nothing wrong the whole rest of the match but that’s what you choose to pick up on? Have a day off mate. 

i was only picking up on that point as could of turned out so differently for basically non existent marking ; if you want to give the boy a free pass as he was 'knackered' then so be it - i've never mentioned him before on any post i think hes a decent player and i know he got abuse for his first few shifts - if we re happy with that sort of sloppy defending at basic set pieces at critical stages of an important game we might as well get that fat lump hanley back for the euro finals

59 minutes ago, Pocketrocketman1888 said:

i was only picking up on that point as could of turned out so differently for basically non existent marking ; if you want to give the boy a free pass as he was 'knackered' then so be it - i've never mentioned him before on any post i think hes a decent player and i know he got abuse for his first few shifts - if we re happy with that sort of sloppy defending at basic set pieces at critical stages of an important game we might as well get that fat lump hanley back for the euro finals

Football is like life - you learn by your mistakes. I think Faddy made that point on the Sky Sports coverage when analysing the goal. 

1 hour ago, Pocketrocketman1888 said:

He’s human and still learning that position. Did you think he would be perfect right away when Clarke started playing him there?

I’m not suggesting he should get a free pass. I’m assuming Clarke and his coaches will feed it back to him and it hopefully won’t happen again. 

All defenders make mistakes now and again. On another day Serbia wouldn’t have scored and nobody would even be mentioning it. As long as he learns from it then that’s the main thing. 

You see this is my problem with so many people with opinions. Given the chance they MUST have someone to blame and crucify. Its and age-old problem where matches get examined to the nth degree and people are not willing to accept that players make mistakes and it gets blown out of all proportion. We had it in Euro 96 with McAllister in Euro '96 and have had it many times since. Too many cannot accept a genuine mistake can be made.

5 hours ago, Caledonian Craig said:

You see this is my problem with so many people with opinions. Given the chance they MUST have someone to blame and crucify. Its and age-old problem where matches get examined to the nth degree and people are not willing to accept that players make mistakes and it gets blown out of all proportion. We had it in Euro 96 with McAllister in Euro '96 and have had it many times since. Too many cannot accept a genuine mistake can be made.

I'm reminded of the guys who for years moaned about Darren Fletcher, who inside their tiny minds thought should be winning games for Scotland single handed because he played for a top Manchester Utd team. They don't realise that football just doesn't work like that.

On 11/14/2020 at 1:57 AM, Texas Pete said:

I really don’t care what the Man U fans think of him as long as he stays in their team.

The best thing about McTominay for me is he actually wants to play for Scotland. He’s not an England reject that just wants caps to try and get a pay rise or a move to a big team. He had a choice to make and he chose Scotland.

You can tell by the way he plays and his reaction to goals etc. that he’s loving it. 

Yep.

United fans are strange. They only give McToninay credit when they win, even though, technically, his job is to stop goals being scored against the team.

Edited by Taylor1996

Bet he enjoys playing for us more than he does United. Not because he doesn't love Manchester United, because he does. The Scotland fans, en mass, appreciate him more than the United fans ever will.

Maybe he'd have value to them if he played as he does, but he cost £100m and he was a Brazilian called McTominio.

36 minutes ago, Taylor1996 said:

Bet he enjoys playing for us more than he does United. Not because he doesn't love Manchester United, because he does. The Scotland fans, en mass, appreciate him more than the United fans ever will.

Maybe he'd have value to them if he played as he does, but he cost £100m and he was a Brazilian called McTominio.

Beautiful stuff. Proven to have been a master stroke from Clarke moving him to Right centre back - all about his distribution (strength as well)Happy to have been proven wrong in that.  And a great thing is he can just pop into centre mid with ease should he need to. 

just on his strength and physicality I remember the game against Belgium away a couple of years ago and there was a couple of 50/50 shoulder challenges with possibly de bryune and another Belgium player and it was no contest - they couldnt live with him. I knew there and then we had a serious player on our hands.

3 hours ago, JECK said:

Beautiful stuff. Proven to have been a master stroke from Clarke moving him to Right centre back - all about his distribution (strength as well)Happy to have been proven wrong in that.  And a great thing is he can just pop into centre mid with ease should he need to. 

just on his strength and physicality I remember the game against Belgium away a couple of years ago and there was a couple of 50/50 shoulder challenges with possibly de bryune and another Belgium player and it was no contest - they couldnt live with him. I knew there and then we had a serious player on our hands.

Yeah. Agreed.

And the strange thing is that he played as a Striker for the Man United u23s, so he could play all through the middle.

There's also a clip during Barcelona where he was against three Barcelona players and he absolutely out manoeuvred all three. Magical stuff.

The aforementioned scene was 1.38 onwards:

• 3 weeks later...

A fine performance against PSG, so far.

A great tackle on Neymar, getting up McTominay trods on Neymar's foot. Neymar being Neymar, he acts like he was shot in the foot by a sniper. 

When the play continues, McTominay is on him with another challenge.

Going up the tunnel at half time McTominay was giving Neymar verbals. Our boy can certainly dish it out.

Hopefully it continues in the 2nd half.

2 minutes ago, Taylor1996 said:

A fine performance against PSG, so far.

A great tackle on Neymar, getting up McTominay trods on Neymar's foot. Neymar being Neymar, he acts like he was shot in the foot by a sniper. 

When the play continues, McTominay is on him with another challenge.

Going up the tunnel at half time McTominay was giving Neymar verbals. Our boy can certainly dish it out.

Hopefully it continues in the 2nd half.

An odous character is our Neymar.

It's official, Scott McTominay is now the Manchester United online whipping boy. He's taken over from Darren Fletcher.

Last night he was the only player, apart from Bruno and maybe Rashford who stood his ground against Leipzig, and yet, online he's being slaughtered by the United fans.

Just to see if my eyes were deceiving me, and he was indeed horrendous, I looked up 5 online player ratings for the match. Turns out, each one said that he was one of the few United players who could hold his head up high.

And this is OGS putting the shackles on him. McTominay's main traits are driving the ball forward and making forward passes (as he does with us), but OGS has him playing so that his main job is to sit and recycle the ball safely.

5 hours ago, Taylor1996 said:

It's official, Scott McTominay is now the Manchester United online whipping boy. He's taken over from Darren Fletcher.

Last night he was the only player, apart from Bruno and maybe Rashford who stood his ground against Leipzig, and yet, online he's being slaughtered by the United fans.

Just to see if my eyes were deceiving me, and he was indeed horrendous, I looked up 5 online player ratings for the match. Turns out, each one said that he was one of the few United players who could hold his head up high.

And this is OGS putting the shackles on him. McTominay's main traits are driving the ball forward and making forward passes (as he does with us), but OGS has him playing so that his main job is to sit and recycle the ball safely.

The Red Cafe player ratings had him as the 3rd best player out of the starting 11 behind Fernandes and Greenwood.

It's a bit unfair to judge Man United fans on the views of a few very loud  idiots.

Much the same on here with one or two posters and certain players. We are all guilty of it, except me I am always right.

Edited by ceudmilefailte

20 hours ago, ceudmilefailte said:

The Red Cafe player ratings had him as the 3rd best player out of the starting 11 behind Fernandes and Greenwood.

It's a bit unfair to judge Man United fans on the views of a few very loud  idiots.

Much the same on here with one or two posters and certain players. We are all guilty of it, except me I am always right.

I know. You're right (apart the past part 😛 )

I was talking about the vocal minority, as opposes to painting all of them with the same brush 

• 2 weeks later...

10 out of 10 performance today.

Two fantastic goals, an assist, broke up Leeds attacks and carried the ball forward brilliantly.

2 goals in 3 minutes. An EPL record.

The frustrating thing is that this would be a regular occurrence if OGS didn't use him as an anchorman who sits and just recycles the ball.

Scott is a dynamic box to box midfielder. If he played under Bielsa or Guardiola or Klopp, act, he'd easily look as good as De Bruyne, etc.

As a center back he's 7 out of 10 player. As an anchorman he's also a 7, but as a box to box midfielder he would a regular 8/9 out of 10 player.

I don't think he likes December, though. This time last season he got injured on the 27th and was out of 2 months. He's now injured his groin. No idea how long he'll be out.

I think McTominey should think about leaving Man Utd sooner or later if he isn’t going to get played in his proper midfield role. He needs to be playing week in week out as a box to box midfielder if he is to grow as a player and fulfil his potential 

3 minutes ago, Toepoke said:

But we need him to get more game time at right centre back :-))

Maybe we should copy Bielsa’s philosophy and just forget about defending 😊. Be very entertaining at least