Scott McTominay - Page 30 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scott McTominay

Chripper

52 minutes ago, ParisInAKilt said:

Depends on the player and the position, Tierney for example would be a different player at right back compared with left back because he’s left footed, something you acknowledged when you realised McGregor and Fleck aren’t right footed 

I would trust Fleck or McGregor or any good player, that just so happens to be left footed over players like Palmer or Armstrong, playing as a RWB.

Ive no issue playing a left footed player on the right however you have to accept that in doing so it changes the way the team has to play. Suggesting the wider centre backs overlap and wing back just to accomodate a left footed center midfielder with average pace just seems illogical to me when we have right footed options more suited to the role that would mean we wouldnt have to change our setup.

Whatever ever way you dice it though, what foot somebody kicks with is clearly important to how the team setup. Just accept that suggesting Fleck and McGreggor for RWB was a mistake and move on.

You get more respect for admitting an error than clinging onto an argument you cant win.

5 minutes ago, Diamond Scot said:

You get more respect for admitting an error than clinging onto an argument you cant win.

I did admit that I was wrong about Fleck and McGregor's footedness.

But yeah, I would have no compunction about playing either of those players as a RWB. Too much is made of a players "best position", etc.

The fact that we're playing McTominay in defence, McGinn as an attacking midfielder and Christie and Fraser as a second striker, underlines the fact that players are more versatile than people think.

22 minutes ago, Taylor1996 said:

I would trust Fleck or McGregor or any good player, that just so happens to be left footed over players like Palmer or Armstrong, playing as a RWB.

11 minutes ago, Diamond Scot said:

Ive no issue playing a left footed player on the right however you have to accept that in doing so it changes the way the team has to play. Suggesting the wider centre backs overlap and wing back just to accomodate a left footed center midfielder with average pace just seems illogical to me when we have right footed options more suited to the role that would mean we wouldnt have to change our setup.

Whatever ever way you dice it though, what foot somebody kicks with is clearly important to how the team setup. Just accept that suggesting Fleck and McGreggor for RWB was a mistake and move on.

What diamond said 

28 minutes ago, ParisInAKilt said:

What diamond said 

Diamond said that he has no problem with left sided players playing on the right, and vise versa, you said the opposite.

You said we shouldn't play players on the opposite side.

How can you say one thing but agree with the opposite?

On second thoughts. Never mind. I don't even care anymore.

8 minutes ago, Taylor1996 said:

Diamond said that he has no problem with left sided players playing on the right, and vise versa, you said the opposite.

You said we shouldn't play players on the opposite side.

No I didn’t

Depends on the player and the position, Tierney for example would be a different player at right back compared with left back because he’s left footed, something you acknowledged when you realised McGregor and Fleck aren’t right footed”

playing a left footed player at right back is a totally different ball game to right wing back.  You are sacrificing all your natural width in the latter.  Unless you play a narrow box or diamond in midfield a left footed right back will have a right footed wide player in front offering that width. The full back can then cut inside on their natural foot.

• 3 weeks later...

Another dominant display in midfield against the Champions elect, Manchester City. At times he was bullying De Bruyne and he completely nullified the threat of Gundogan. 

We need to move McTominay into midfield. 

Or even as a striker. 

With the emergence of Hendry and the form of Hanley, it must happen now.

Edited by Taylor1996

3 hours ago, Taylor1996 said:

Another dominant display in midfield against the Champions elect, Manchester City. At times he was bullying De Bruyne and he completely nullified the threat of Gundogan. 

We need to move McTominay into midfield. 

Or even as a striker. 

With the emergence of Hendry and the form of Hanley, it must happen now.

I’m confident it will.

If I was choosing an EPL midfield to win a league it would include McTominay, McGinn and De Bruyne. 

Edited by er yir macaroon

96.9% passes complete. He was my MOTM.

That was the worst match I've seen all season.

(How are Manchester United 2nd?!?! I've never seen anything like it! The amount of misplaced passes and the ball bouncing of their teammates heels, as they passed it to them, happened more than a dozen times. They're Forrest Gumping their way through the season)

I feel sorry for McTominay. Him and Shaw were standouts.

McTominay is definitely a striker. The way that he wheeled away in celebration, as it was clearly an OG, was the thought process of a striker.

Guest Scot1
13 minutes ago, Taylor1996 said:

96.9% passes complete. He was my MOTM.

That was the worst match I've seen all season.

(How are Manchester United 2nd?!?! I've never seen anything like it! The amount of misplaced passes and the ball bouncing of their teammates heels, as they passed it to them, happened more than a dozen times. They're Forrest Gumping their way through the season)

I feel sorry for McTominay. Him and Shaw were standouts.

McTominay is definitely a striker. The way that he wheeled away in celebration, as it was clearly an OG, was the thought process of a striker.

No, he’s a box-box midfielder, why don’t we try playing him in his natural position for a change, not a revolutionary thought 

Another very good display against AC Milan. On the ball, not his best match, but off the ball he was great.

He reminds me so much of a young Darren Fletcher. In Fletcher's formative years he was sloppy in possession and a big ragged. Once he matured he was brilliant. Would've been world class if he didn't have his illness.

Scott McTominay will be some player when he matures. 

Edited by Taylor1996

• 2 weeks later...

Looking at McTominays stats for last night they echo a lot of what the McTominay bashers on the Man United  forum say.

He only had 52 touches of the ball for 2.6% possession 

Completed 25 out of 29 passes.(86%)

4 tackles and one interception which is ok, but the stats suggest he is hiding half the game.

This compares with McGregor in the same position on the left hand side

76 touches for 5.5 % possession of the ball.

Completed 56 of 61 passes (92%)

4 tackles and 3 interceptions, again better than McTominay.

A few people on here slating McGregor but as far as I can see McTominay was the central midfield player that let us down.

9 minutes ago, ceudmilefailte said:

Looking at McTominays stats for last night they echo a lot of what the McTominay bashers on the Man United  forum say.

4 tackles and one interception which is ok, but the stats suggest he is hiding half the game.

A few people on here slating McGregor but as far as I can see McTominay was the central midfield player that let us down.

I was so surprised by him last night. He was a shadow of his recent displays for us.I just don’t get, he looked disinterested. I hope I’m wrong and I hope the players were just totally baffled by the first half  instructions given to them and it’s not something more sinister.

16 minutes ago, ceudmilefailte said:

Without looking at stats it was obvious he had a poor game. Not knocking you by the way, the stats back up what I thought.

I think he was very poor for their goal and I don't think the system was to blame last night. A few players need to take a look at themselves. 

17 minutes ago, ceudmilefailte said:

Yeah. He wasn't great, but there was a lot of that going around.

The United bashers say that "he hides", "he can't pass" and "he isn't a defensive midfielder".

The last one is 100% true.

He needs to stop ball watching and allowing his man to have space and time. He's guilty of it at Manchester United, but we don't have Fred to bail him out.

We can only hope that he matures and begins to be more proactive. He could do worse than watch some United videos, specifically the 09/10 season, and study Darren Fletcher. That season Darren Fletcher was world class. His pressing, his passing, his tenacity and his general leadership, was Roy Keanesque.

7 minutes ago, ceudmilefailte said:

Looking deeper at the stats, McGinn had no influence on the game at all

Nearly everything we did was on the left hand side of the pitch. Must be impossible to look good when you only use half the pitch.

I think your stats are failing to tell you our midfield players were hopelessly outnumbered. That is down to the manager. Some players compounded the problem by poor decision making. 

41 minutes ago, ceudmilefailte said:

McGregor, McTominay and McGinn were all rank rotten last night. In the first half I'd swear we were playing with no midfield. It improved greatly with Christie coming on and players seemed to wake from their slumber.

2 minutes ago, er yir macaroon said:

I think your stats are failing to tell you our midfield players were hopelessly outnumbered. That is down to the manager. Some players compounded the problem by poor decision making. 

In theory we had 2 attacking midfield players and one forward, they had one attacking midfield player and two forwards.

We just looked outnumbered because the players mentioned didn't turn up.

15 minutes ago, ceudmilefailte said:

In theory we had 2 attacking midfield players and one forward, they had one attacking midfield player and two forwards.

We just looked outnumbered because the players mentioned didn't turn up.

The problem was our wing backs were as deep as our defenders and that was siege mentality deep. 

3 minutes ago, er yir macaroon said:

The problem was our wing backs were as deep as our defenders and that was siege mentality deep. 

Your right it was a tactical disaster. Not sure who should have fixed it the players or the manager.

Was Clarke running up and down the touch line screaming and shouting?

Or was it a case of the players not doing as told.