English football - do you watch it reguarly? - Page 13 - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

English football - do you watch it reguarly?

1 hour ago, vanderark14 said:

That's the point of the pyramid, clubs treading water no longer have a safety blanket. 

Cove's ranks are filled with ex Aberdeen players who didn't make it in the pro game. Theres a rumour that Fraser is about to join them but surely that cant be true.

Cove arr very well run but their committee is full of bell ends who lose their shit when they lose 

Few of us used to watch Cove when they first got in the highland league ; 86-87 ?

they were generally despised by other clubs; and not really taken on by non travelling Dons fans because of the Rangers / Blue part

ground was regarded as bit of a joke back then

assuming things at calder park at better these days and community involvement etc

1 minute ago, Auchinyell Sox Change said:

Few of us used to watch Cove when they first got in the highland league ; 86-87 ?

they were generally despised by other clubs; and not really taken on by non travelling Dons fans because of the Rangers / Blue part

ground was regarded as bit of a joke back then

assuming things at calder park at better these days and community involvement etc

There’s various reason people despise Cove, some of the parochial fans in the highland league never wanted an Aberdeen based team in the league which is ridiculous. I don’t mind them except their committee as I said above.

i actually think they need to go up, their ambitions and spending have out grown what will become a very competitive league.

6 minutes ago, vanderark14 said:

There’s various reason people despise Cove, some of the parochial fans in the highland league never wanted an Aberdeen based team in the league which is ridiculous. I don’t mind them except their committee as I said above.

i actually think they need to go up, their ambitions and spending have out grown what will become a very competitive league.

I recall the highland league being a very closed shop back then though , and unchanged for years - it was still another 5/6 seasons until inverness / ross co moved into national league set up , that likely forced the inclusion of some new teams

i do wish them well; and hope they go up

1 hour ago, dan cake said:

Kompany sticks one in the top corner from 20 yards 

Unbelievable strike. A lot of players and staff from City eating humble pie after screaming “don’t shoot, pass” 😂😂

Also incredible that Liverpool could potentially not win the title with 97 points. 

Edited by dandydunn

8 hours ago, dandydunn said:

Unbelievable strike. A lot of players and staff from City eating humble pie after screaming “don’t shoot, pass” 😂😂

Also incredible that Liverpool could potentially not win the title with 97 points. 

There's a very uneven distribution of points this season. It's almost like some hapless bunch of losers are sat at the bottom hardly having won a game. 😧

1 hour ago, Huddersfield said:

There's a very uneven distribution of points this season. It's almost like some hapless bunch of losers are sat at the bottom hardly having won a game. 😧

But being the only relegated team to take a point of a top six team, not that that will be any consolation in the Championship.

Definitely a distinct split between the top six and rest of the league now despite the four teams behind City and Liverpool doing their best to disprove that in the last few weeks. I struggle to see how anyone is going to break into that top six without a huge cash investment.

I watched the coverage last night from half time.

Nauseating stuff. The way they gush about pretty much everything that happened. Embarrassing some of the chat. Talking about City’s best ever players and none were pre Oil injectioned City.  

1 hour ago, macy37 said:

Nauseating stuff. The way they gush about pretty much everything that happened. Embarrassing some of the chat. Talking about City’s best ever players and none were pre Oil injectioned City.  

The top players in the world used to be scattered across Europe and even South America.

Now there are an elite group of 10 or so clubs that are operating on a completely different level to the rest and can have whoever they want from clubs outside that group.

To be fair previous Man City greats would be operating at a different level, even if they made a great contribution at the time.

Edited by sbcmfc

20 hours ago, Och Aye said:

Will be a real shame to see Berwick out the league. Apart from surprisingly beating Peterhead they've been woeful. Only chance they have is if Cove don't want to come up.

Cove are desperate to come up.  They've invested heavily in making to the pro ranks.  This is also John Sheran's last go at it.  He still has an itch to scratch in the SPFL and is hugely capable.  He won't be at the play-off as is recovering from a heart attack.

2 hours ago, Dalgety Bay TA said:

But being the only relegated team to take a point of a top six team, not that that will be any consolation in the Championship.

Definitely a distinct split between the top six and rest of the league now despite the four teams behind City and Liverpool doing their best to disprove that in the last few weeks. I struggle to see how anyone is going to break into that top six without a huge cash investment.

I think any Town fan who has watched us more than 5 minutes only ever saw us as on loan to the EPL. It's been a good laugh, but normal service should be resumed.

This was the chant of the season (we didn't score enough to run a GOTS competition) - while the Mancs were crying about missing out on the Champions League, we were making a racket about Luton away.

We've been to Stamford Bridge, The Etihad, Liverpool away. Now we're off to Luton Town, Luton Town away.

15 hours ago, macy37 said:

I remember Peter Barnes, he was no 7 for man City  a classic and brilliant winger long before the oil and even before your bedtime

6 hours ago, philip_OATN said:

I remember Peter Barnes, he was no 7 for man City  a classic and brilliant winger long before the oil and even before your bedtime

Our own Denis Law, the other Dennis (Tueart), Colin Bell, Franny Lee, Mike Summerbee, Paul Power, Joe Corrigan, Bert Trautmann etc...

il_570xN.1425330929_88oy.jpg

Edited by Toepoke

23 hours ago, macy37 said:

I seen a tweet  on Twitter asking who they felt  Man City’s biggest influence was. In amongst the responses of Guardiola, Kompany, Aguerio etc, some joker replied with ‘ an oil rig’ 😂  

1 hour ago, Jim Beem said:

I seen a tweet  on Twitter asking who they felt  Man City’s biggest influence was. In amongst the responses of Guardiola, Kompany, Aguerio etc, some joker replied with ‘ an oil rig’ 😂  

Man City were probably about Everton level or just below before the oil money. (Having come back from being Sunderland!)

Although to be fair, they appear to be doing it “the right way” to a point, having built up all the infrastructure around it, rather than solely buying a team of galacticos like PSG. Man City have far more redeeming features than PSG.

4 hours ago, sbcmfc said:

Man City were probably about Everton level or just below before the oil money. (Having come back from being Sunderland!)

Although to be fair, they appear to be doing it “the right way” to a point, having built up all the infrastructure around it, rather than solely buying a team of galacticos like PSG. Man City have far more redeeming features than PSG.

Have to disagree there, they have digital billboards with fan flags on them, play crowd noises over tannoys and very rarely sell out their stadium despite challenging for the league title. 

Man City are absolutely everything that’s wrong with modern football.

The quicker the sheiks (and all the rest of the rich owners) get bored of this and ditch these clubs back to where they came from, the better it will be for the game.  

1 hour ago, dandydunn said:

Have to disagree there, they have digital billboards with fan flags on them, play crowd noises over tannoys and very rarely sell out their stadium despite challenging for the league title. 

The quicker the sheiks (and all the rest of the rich owners) get bored of this and ditch these clubs back to where they came from, the better it will be for the game.  

I'm with you on this. The digital flags are beyond embarrassing. I used to see us at Maine Rd on a fairly regular basis, and (rightly or wrongly) it was a tough, intimidating place to go with real, hardcore fans. The residue of that group (bearing in mind their crowds weren't that fantastic for years) are still knocking around - the first time we played them in the EPL some old rivalries from the 80s/90s seemed to emerge & the Police had their hands full in the town centre for hours. But, particularly at the Etihad, the tourism is probably worse than even Old Trafford. I honestly would suspect that barely 1 in 10 people in attendance at most games there could identify anyone on that picture if you asked them.

Folk arguing about which foreign team that spends £100m's on transfers & wages annually is best and which is worse? :lol: 

Strange how folk don't have a pop at Man Utd, Real Madrid, Barca, Liverpool, etc for spending fortunes. It's just Man City and PSG that are bad?

2 hours ago, dandydunn said:

Spot on IMO.

22 minutes ago, Parklife said:

Folk arguing about which foreign team that spends £100m's on transfers & wages annually is best and which is worse? :lol: 

Strange how folk don't have a pop at Man Utd, Real Madrid, Barca, Liverpool, etc for spending fortunes. It's just Man City and PSG that are bad?

I was aware of the hypocrisy.

It’s ok for them because they’ve always done it.

:lol: