English football - do you watch it reguarly? - Page 11 - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

English football - do you watch it reguarly?

39 minutes ago, Huddersfield said:

Can I tempt you into just sending me the money instead? If it’s 0-0 after about 10 minutes we’ll count that as a win. 

35 minutes ago, Terry Munro said:

Went in to lump on Liverpool thinking they would be about 1/5 then seen it was 1/16. Hardly worth it.

Tiger was 20/1 to the win the masters and the boy that beat O’Sullivan at the snooker was 16/1

love a long shot 

18 minutes ago, dan cake said:

Tiger was 20/1 to the win the masters and the boy that beat O’Sullivan at the snooker was 16/1

love a long shot 

There’s long shots, then there’s Huddersfield Town. Oddly my autocorrect (or my fat fingers) changed the o in shots to an i. Think my phone must have been watching them. 

2 hours ago, Huddersfield said:

There’s long shots, then there’s Huddersfield Town. 

Console yourselves with the £100m parachute payment.

Saw this on the Killie forum earlier, Kilmarnock nestled amongst Huddersfield, Burnley, Watford and Fulham when it came to turnover in 1997/98...

BRITAIN'S WEALTH LEAGUE

Ranking according to 1997-98 turnover; place in previous season in brackets; turnover in millions of pounds:-

1 (1) Manchester United pounds 87.875

2 (2) Newcastle United pounds 49.177

3 (7) Chelsea pounds 47.482

4 (3) Liverpool pounds 45.457

5 (6) Arsenal pounds 40.391

6 (4) Rangers pounds 32.526

7 (10) Aston Villa pounds 31.769

8 (5) Tottenham Hotspur pounds 31.189

9 (11) Leeds United pounds 28.265

10 (9) Celtic pounds 27.821

11 (14) West Ham United pounds 24.017

12 (12) Everton pounds 22.665

13 (22) Derby County pounds 20.059

14 (23) Wimbledon pounds 19.774

15 (17) Blackburn Rovers pounds 19.356

16 (13) Leicester City pounds 19.210

17 (18) Sunderland pounds 18.825

18 (8) Middlesbrough pounds 18.685

19 (20) Coventry City pounds 17.400

20 (16) Sheffield Wednesday pounds 16.303

21 (26) Bolton Wanderers pounds 15.711

22 (19) Manchester City pounds 15.272

23 (21) Wolverhampton W pounds 12.911

24 (46) Barnsley pounds 12.694

25 (24) Southampton pounds 12.520

26 (15) Nottingham Forest pounds 11.227

27 (29) Queen's Park Rangers pounds 9.756

28 (34) Sheffield United pounds 8.536

29 (27) Birmingham City pounds 8.337

30 (25) Crystal Palace pounds 7.856

31 (32) West Bromwich Albion pounds 7.460

32 (30) Norwich City pounds 6.910

33 (36) Hearts pounds 6.426

34 (31) Ipswich Town pounds 6.222

35 (28) Bradford City pounds 6.030

36 (35) Stoke City pounds 5.882

37 (40) Charlton Athletic pounds 5.770

38 (33) Aberdeen pounds 5.308

39 (37) Dundee United pounds 4.559

40 (64) Bristol City pounds 4.533

41 (39) Portsmouth pounds 4.351

42 (38) Swindon Town pounds 4.184

43 (42) Preston North End pounds 4.058

44 (50) Reading pounds 3.966

45 (44) Huddersfield Town pounds 3.947

46 (54) Watford pounds 3.895

47 (49) Kilmarnock pounds 3.808

48 (68) Fulham pounds 3.742

49 (45) Burnley pounds 3.732

50 (43) Hibernian pounds 3.680

51 (62) Walsall pounds 3.508

52 (65) Oxford United pounds 3.298

53 (58) St Johnstone pounds 3.233

54 (52) Wycombe Wanderers pounds 3.127

55 (59) Port Vale pounds 3.044

56 (47) Tranmere Rovers pounds 3.032

57 (56) Stockport County pounds 2.996

58 (66) Grimsby Town pounds 2.992

59 (55) Luton Town pounds 2.955

60 (69) Gillingham pounds 2.930

61 (41) Millwall pounds 2.923

62 (61) Blackpool pounds 2.690

63 (71) Bury pounds 2.547

64 (57) Carlisle United pounds 2.464

65 (67) Dunfermline Athletic pounds 2.380

66 (60) Southend United pounds 2.322

67 (82) Bournemouth pounds 2.243

68 (53) Oldham Athletic pounds 2.179

69 (76) Crewe Alexandra pounds 2.111

70 (77) Bristol Rovers pounds 1.994

71 (72) Wrexham pounds 1.919

72 (51) Chesterfield pounds 1.907

73 (48) Peterborough United pounds 1.886

74 (73) Motherwell pounds 1.765

75 (78) Notts County pounds 1.706

76 (63) Plymouth Argyle pounds 1.588

77 (75) Leyton Orient pounds 1.567

78 (81) Cardiff City pounds 1.559

79 (70) Brentford pounds 1.547

80 (85) Scunthorpe United pounds 1.447

81 (87) Lincoln City pounds 1.188

82 (84) Exeter City pounds 1.173

83 (86) York City pounds 1.127

84 (90) Wigan Athletic pounds 1.106

85 (95) Rotherham United pounds 1.065

86 (100) Torquay United pounds 1.058

87 (96) Hull City pounds 1.013

88 (80) Swansea City pounds 0.986

89 (98) Cambridge United pounds 0.900

90 (97) Rochdale pounds 0.875

91 (93) Darlington pounds 0.806

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.independent.co.uk/sport/football-old-traffords-millions-lead-the-rich-list-1124961.html%3famp

Edited by Toepoke

If there's one word I'd use to describe the EPL it's surreal. The money floating around, & the circus that generates is something I'm not totally sorry to see the back of. There's a bit of a concern here about the parachute money. The guy who has owned the club for the last few years (Dean Hoyle; a lifelong fan) has been seriously ill & is selling up. There's a lot of internet chatter suggesting that the people interested are pushing the price of the club down & using the parachute money as collateral to cover their investment. I'm not 'in the know' so to speak, but know one or two reliable people who are suggesting that.

Still, if we crash through the divisions again, it increases my chances of getting to the remaining 9 grounds I need to have done the 92.

Leeds v Villa 😆

Long story short - the Villa boy got injured, Leeds looked as if they were about to put the ball out so he could get treatment and Villa stopped, Leeds then carried on and scored! Wee fights broke out all over the pitch, a Villa boy got sent off for punching Bamford (he didn’t hit him though, as it was the worse play acting from Bamford ever), big discussions on the touchline where the Leeds boss ordered them to let Villa score but their centre-half was like “Fuck that!” and tried to put in a challenge as Villa walked through putting the ball into the empty net, then that defender faced a barrage of abuse from his teammates 🤷🏼‍♂️

25 minutes ago, McTeeko said:

Leeds v Villa 😆

Long story short - the Villa boy got injured, Leeds looked as if they were about to put the ball out so he could get treatment and Villa stopped, Leeds then carried on and scored! Wee fights broke out all over the pitch, a Villa boy got sent off for punching Bamford (he didn’t hit him though, as it was the worse play acting from Bamford ever), big discussions on the touchline where the Leeds boss ordered them to let Villa score but their centre-half was like “Fuck that!” and tried to put in a challenge as Villa walked through putting the ball into the empty net, then that defender faced a barrage of abuse from his teammates 🤷🏼‍♂️

Leveinesk 

1 hour ago, McTeeko said:

Leeds v Villa 😆

Joke

Leeds didn’t have to stop, Villa we’re the victims of their own doing. 

Even worse to allow them to score. 

Play to the whistle. 

55 minutes ago, dandydunn said:

Joke

Leeds didn’t have to stop, Villa we’re the victims of their own doing. 

Even worse to allow them to score. 

Play to the whistle. 

100%. Allowing Villa to score was the biggest joke. Their side is coached by Terry so fuck them.

It seems to be in the DNA of Leeds Utd to be dirty, cheating gits. Not that I’m biased. But they are the lowest of the low. It’s of note that before the spying scandal they were averaging about 2 points per game. Once caught, that dropped to about 1.6. 

And Bamford should be suspended for a good long stretch for his antics this afternoon. 

6 hours ago, Huddersfield said:

It seems to be in the DNA of Leeds Utd to be dirty, cheating gits. Not that I’m biased. But they are the lowest of the low. It’s of note that before the spying scandal they were averaging about 2 points per game. Once caught, that dropped to about 1.6. 

And Bamford should be suspended for a good long stretch for his antics this afternoon. 

In what way did Leeds cheat?

2 hours ago, dandydunn said:

In what way did Leeds cheat?

Have a look at the Bamford incident. He pretended to be hit in the face to get a man sent off.

They have also been found guilty of 'spying' & fined by the FA. The fact that their points per game total dropped as it did after they were prevented from doing it implies that they were cheating on a significant scale as well.

49 minutes ago, Huddersfield said:

Have a look at the Bamford incident. He pretended to be hit in the face to get a man sent off.

They have also been found guilty of 'spying' & fined by the FA. The fact that their points per game total dropped as it did after they were prevented from doing it implies that they were cheating on a significant scale as well.

I wouldn't class the spying as cheating tbh

44 minutes ago, Huddersfield said:

The fact that their points per game total dropped as it did after they were prevented from doing it implies that they were cheating on a significant scale as well.

No it doesn't.

You should know as well as anyone that teams in the Championship go through phases of form and its unusual for most teams to maintain a similar level of points throughout a whole Championship season.  

Leeds drop off in points is simply their form changing/dropping, same as say Villa's increase in points per game is them hitting form. To suggest that is because they didn't have someone hiding in the bushes with with a binoculars watching Blackburn Rovers training is a bit mental tbh.

34 minutes ago, Dalgety Bay TA said:

No it doesn't.

You should know as well as anyone that teams in the Championship go through phases of form and its unusual for most teams to maintain a similar level of points throughout a whole Championship season.  

Leeds drop off in points is simply their form changing/dropping, same as say Villa's increase in points per game is them hitting form. To suggest that is because they didn't have someone hiding in the bushes with with a binoculars watching Blackburn Rovers training is a bit mental tbh.

I don't agree. I can't recall who it was, but there was a section of a programme on Sky where they were debating whether or not the spying had helped them, & they showed a dozen or more clips showing how (in their opinion) Leeds players clearly had knowledge of set pieces, etc., that they would not have gained from normal scouting.

And this wasn't just some bloke with binoculars either. Their people were well-trained & used (for example) wire cutters to illegally access private property.

Does their 'drop off in form' reflect normal form variances or a loss of a key part of their game planning? I suppose we'll never completely answer that, but if we were debating any other conspiracy that would be seen as a pretty important statistic.

2 hours ago, Huddersfield said:

I don't agree. I can't recall who it was, but there was a section of a programme on Sky where they were debating whether or not the spying had helped them, & they showed a dozen or more clips showing how (in their opinion) Leeds players clearly had knowledge of set pieces, etc., that they would not have gained from normal scouting.

And this wasn't just some bloke with binoculars either. Their people were well-trained & used (for example) wire cutters to illegally access private property.

Does their 'drop off in form' reflect normal form variances or a loss of a key part of their game planning? I suppose we'll never completely answer that, but if we were debating any other conspiracy that would be seen as a pretty important statistic.

Do Bielsa teams not always drop off as the season goes on because of the demands of his high tempo style of play?

I may be talking rubbish, but I believe his only league wins have been 1/2 seasons in South America?

3 hours ago, Huddersfield said:

Bielsa is famous for his attention to detail. Pep often cites him as one of the managers he aspired to be like when he started off. The Leeds supporting lad in my office said that when he became Leeds manager he said in his interview for the job that he had watched all 46 league games of every opponent from the previous season in the Championship. He told the board how many times Middlesboro went 442, 4231, 343 etc and had a load of details of who did what at set pieces, key players, weaknesses etc. That was even before he got the job and was the detail he went into just for the interview.

I think he would get much more details to pass on to his own team in terms of tactics, what to expect etc, from watching say 46 Rotherham games from previous season than spying on Rotherham training? Did they spy on them just before playing them or every week? I just think any possibly advantage they may have got is negligible in comparison to the level of detail he went into on watching actual match footage of the opposition. Just IMO.