Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
TAMB1

2020 Draw Thread

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, Orraloon said:

:lol:

Some folk have short memories. We get two decent results, against two reams about the same level as us, and all of a sudden we have 9 points in the bag without even kicking a baw.:lol:

Its nearly christmas so cheer the fuk up :cheers3:

Edited by mariokempes56

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Orraloon said:

:lol:

Some folk have short memories. We get two decent results, against two reams about the same level as us, and all of a sudden we have 9 points in the bag without even kicking a baw.:lol:

Unless something goes seriously wrong we will have at least 6 points going into the game in Belgium.

We will beat San Marino away and Cyprus at home. If we don’t win both these games we have no chance of qualifying outright anyway. Unless Russia slip up somewhere, we really need to win all of our home games (except Belgium) and take 6 points from San Marino and Cyprus to stand a chance.

Kazakhstan are the only real unknown entity for me. They are ranked 120th in the world but they are exactly the type of team we struggle against away from home.

They only won one of their Nations League matches though (at home to Andorra) and they lost to Georgia twice.

We really should be looking to beat Kazakhstan away from home. If we can do that then I believe we’ll have 9 points in the  bag going to Belgium (where we’ll get pumped).

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Tartan Chris said:

Good schedule imo. Reminds me a bit of playing Faroes and Lithuania first up in 2008 qualifying. 6 points and that put pressure on Italy who had a slow start. Russia will obviously have Belgium in the first three so potential to open up a bit of a gap on them ahead of the home game. 9/9 start would mean there's a pretty good chance of it being taken to last game.

We have a good chance of taking 9 points from our first three games and 9 from our last three. 

Only problem is we could realistically get 0 points from our middle four games (although I’m confident Russia won’t beat us at home). 

Hopefully we’ll come away from Russia knowing that we’ll qualify if we win our last three games as that would be very doable. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The June games look cracking!

All ifs and buts, but if we can beat Cyprus and have taken 6pts from the first two games, we'll come to Belgium at the start of summer riding high!

That Russia game in Glasgow is huge too.

Time to not get too carried away and see if we can actually do the business in Astana first and so on before we start thinking about that.

I have a feeling Cyprus will pick up a few points too (they beat Slovenia -albeit had a stinking Nations League) and drew with Bulgaria, Slovenia too and beat Bosnia/Herz in qualifying. 0-1 will do fine, and a Russian stumble there please :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Some sensible fixtures in there, which is nice.

Both Belgium games are the 2nd games of a pair, meaning we're not going into a potentially important game having been pumped by Belgium. Should help us win the first game, tho does look a bit like conceding that we'll lose both Belgium games. Feels like realism tbh, but there will those who will say we should be trying to beat them 100%, Poland beat Germany etc.  Personally I think having them as the 2nd game of the pairs is the best idea.

Both long trips, Kazakhstan and Russia are followed by San Marino games. Again this seems like a very sensible bit of scheduling. Be fresh for the long trips, then play the easiest game we could play afterwards, in case we're not at 100% because of the travelling.

The run in is as friendly as it could be. Hopefully that doesn't work against us and we complacently drop points. Should put the pressure on Russia who finish with Cyprus (a), Belgium (h), San Marino (a).

Only worrying thing for me is the opener being away to the Kazakhs. Perhaps we should try and squeeze in a long distance friendly before it. Armenia, Georgia, Azerbaijan.. something like that, so the lads don't make any mistakes in prep for a long trip.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, andyD said:

Only worrying thing for me is the opener being away to the Kazakhs. Perhaps we should try and squeeze in a long distance friendly before it. Armenia, Georgia, Azerbaijan.. something like that, so the lads don't make any mistakes in prep for a long trip.

Aye This is the game i'm worrying about the most. A long distance trip with a 6 hour time differnce as a first game in a group, has all the hall marks for going wrong with a Scotland team.

On a selfish note dose  not help it a 3pm kick off in the  uk, When we all still at work.

May need to sneek away early that day 😆

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, mariokempes56 said:

Its nearly christmas so cheer the fuk up :cheers3:

Is Santa giving us 9 points for xmas?

I don't think Kazakhstan and Cyprus will be so generous.;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, andyD said:

Some sensible fixtures in there, which is nice.

Both Belgium games are the 2nd games of a pair, meaning we're not going into a potentially important game having been pumped by Belgium. Should help us win the first game, tho does look a bit like conceding that we'll lose both Belgium games. Feels like realism tbh, but there will those who will say we should be trying to beat them 100%, Poland beat Germany etc.  Personally I think having them as the 2nd game of the pairs is the best idea.

Both long trips, Kazakhstan and Russia are followed by San Marino games. Again this seems like a very sensible bit of scheduling. Be fresh for the long trips, then play the easiest game we could play afterwards, in case we're not at 100% because of the travelling.

The run in is as friendly as it could be. Hopefully that doesn't work against us and we complacently drop points. Should put the pressure on Russia who finish with Cyprus (a), Belgium (h), San Marino (a).

Only worrying thing for me is the opener being away to the Kazakhs. Perhaps we should try and squeeze in a long distance friendly before it. Armenia, Georgia, Azerbaijan.. something like that, so the lads don't make any mistakes in prep for a long trip.

If Belgium perform at their best then we’ll likely lose both matches. We rarely take anything from the top seeds in the group these days (except England last time out). 

Hampden isn’t an easy place to come to for a competitive match though so if Belgium aren’t at their best then we have a chance of getting something at home. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Kazakhstan have only won 5 competitive matches in the last 10 years:

Andorra (A) 2009
Azerbaijan (H) 2011
Faroe Islands (H) 2013
Latvia (A) 2015
Andorra (H) 2018

They are not a scary team, and it's time our boys started to routinely turn teams like this over with no drama, as they should.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, mrniaboc said:

Kazakhstan have only won 5 competitive matches in the last 10 years:

Andorra (A) 2009
Azerbaijan (H) 2011
Faroe Islands (H) 2013
Latvia (A) 2015
Andorra (H) 2018

They are not a scary team, and it's time our boys started to routinely turn teams like this over with no drama, as they should.

They did cause the Irish some problems a few years back though, but if we play anything like as well as we did in the last two games, we shouldn't have any major problems in Kazakhstan.

Edited by Clyde1998

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Clyde1998 said:

They did cause the Irish some problems a few years back though, but if we play anything like as well as we did in the last two games, we shouldn't have any major problems in Kazakhstan.

They can cause us all the problems they like if we still beat them like Ireland did. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, mrniaboc said:

Kazakhstan have only won 5 competitive matches in the last 10 years:

Andorra (A) 2009
Azerbaijan (H) 2011
Faroe Islands (H) 2013
Latvia (A) 2015
Andorra (H) 2018

They are not a scary team, and it's time our boys started to routinely turn teams like this over with no drama, as they should.

I don’t think for a minute tha Kazakhstan will beat us. They are nowhere near as good as Georgia. Or Israel or Albania for that matter. 

It’s a 10 hour flight though and our logistics will no doubt be a shambles as per usual and we’ll arrive 24 hours before kickoff or something so i don’t think it will be a 0-4 stroll in the park or anything like that.

If we are professional though and do the simple things well and are not complacent then I’m pretty sure we’ll  win our opening game.

I have just booked flights to Belgium and I’m confident we’ll be going there with 9 points under our belts.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

20 points is almost always enough to guarantee 2nd place in a 6-team group, so all we need to do is win all games apart from both Belgium matches and Russia away. That would give us 21 points. Absolute stroll in the park! What could go wrong?...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, mrniaboc said:

20 points is almost always enough to guarantee 2nd place in a 6-team group, so all we need to do is win all games apart from both Belgium matches and Russia away. That would give us 21 points. Absolute stroll in the park! What could go wrong?...

If Russia do the same then they would also have 21 points. 

We will probably need to get a point in Russia (unless Russia slip up somewhere) to get second place. Either that or we’ll need to take a point off Belgium at Hampden.

I think it will be a pretty close battle for second between us and Russia and I’m looking forward to the campaign. First time in a while I can genuinely say that.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Texas Pete said:

I don’t think for a minute tha Kazakhstan will beat us. They are nowhere near as good as Georgia. Or Israel or Albania for that matter. 

It’s a 10 hour flight though and our logistics will no doubt be a shambles as per usual and we’ll arrive 24 hours before kickoff or something so i don’t think it will be a 0-4 stroll in the park or anything like that.

If we are professional though and do the simple things well and are not complacent then I’m pretty sure we’ll  win our opening game.

I have just booked flights to Belgium and I’m confident we’ll be going there with 9 points under our belts.

It’s not a 10 hour flight is it? I thought it was about 6.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Marky said:

It’s not a 10 hour flight is it? I thought it was about 6.

Ten hours seems about right - it's about level with the most western edge of India (albeit much further north); I think it's further east than Kabul. Moscow is about five/six hours away from Edinburgh.

Edited by Clyde1998

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, Clyde1998 said:

Ten hours seems about right - it's about level with the most western edge of India (albeit much further north); I think it's further east than Kabul. Moscow is about five/six hours away from Edinburgh.

6 hours 30 minutes from London to Astana. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Russia did well at the WC and it will be a tough ask for us to beat them to 2nd. We have looked alot better in our last couple of games but that was against relatively poor teams. Just as well we got our playoff in the bag as there's a good chance we will need it. Looking forward to this campaign and should be interesting to see how our young team does.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Looking at the Euro 2016 qualification groups of 6 teams, the average 2nd place team had 20.6 points

20,21,22,21,21,20,20,20 respectively.

If we beat home and away all of the teams beneath us and looking to win at least one of the other 4 games v Belgium and Russia, statistically this would be enough. This of course would be zero slips ups and that is a big ask.  However, if we look at where we have failed over the last 20 years, we usually tend to miss out by 3 points somewhere along the way - and that has been aiming for a play off position.

Perhaps this is false hope, but I am feeling very enthusiastic. So, yes each game will be taken individually but for the campaign, 21 points is the goal we need to aim for. 

 

Edited by romanticscot

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×