Scottish player transfers - Page 228 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scottish player transfers

SkyBlueScot

5 hours ago, dan cake said:

Verona desperate for money apparently, Sassualo might be paying the entire fee up front and maybe Marseille was instalments. Anyhoo you’d imagine he’ll be starting most weeks in great league for defenders to gain experience. 

That's true; at least he's stayed in Serie A.

Not a transfer as such but the last new big thing Alex Lowry has had his loan move curtailed and is heading back to Ibrox at Hearts' request. Needs another loan which might work out better for him, still young but disappointing!!

23 hours ago, Burj_Alba said:

Not a transfer as such but the last new big thing Alex Lowry has had his loan move curtailed and is heading back to Ibrox at Hearts' request. Needs another loan which might work out better for him, still young but disappointing!!

Head is full of nonsense by all accounts. 

Only a fan-site opinion, but worth a read...

Southampton have report ably put a £6 million price tag on Che Adams head should he leave this January, but it seems that even at this knockdown price, the buyers are yet to put in an offer and Saints could well opt to keep him at St Mary's.

Che Adams obviously feels that his place is in the Premier League, hence he turned down the offer of a new contract at the start of the season and ended up staying for the first part of the season.

With his current deal up in the summer, you would have thought that a few potential suitors would step forward, especially as the asking price now is said to be as low as £6 million, roughly the price that Saints would have to pay to bring in the likes of Aberdeen's Bojan Miovski or Hearts Laurence Shankland, two strikers from Scotland linked with the club should Adams leave.

Southampton seem relaxed about the situation, but with the need for a striker at the head of their list, be it Che Adams or a new man, it seems that the club will not be held to ransom and although they might well accept an offer that is acceptable, they will not do so unless they have tied up a replacement first, therefore letting Che Adams go on deadline day is unlikely.

footballleagueworld.co.uk are quoting Talksport's Alex Crook who is claiming that it is now highly likely that Adams will still be a Saints player come the end of the transfer window.

It seems both Saints and Adams himself are happy to see where the situation leads, the player can now see that Saints have a real chance of regaining their Premier League status and that being the case is prepared to hang on and then talk about contracts if and when the club are promoted.

But he is also open to offers and should Wolves or Crystal Palace, two of the potential suitors come up with the cash, then he will consider it, it seems that Everton who were heavily linked ar now not in the running and even if they were with further points deductions in the pipeline for the Toffee's, Adams might see that his chances of Premier League football next season are better with Southampton than Everton.

But I would also expect a late offer for Adams, to be blunt £6 million is peanuts for a player with Adams experience, but Saints seem to be very clear here, they are prepared to let him leave in the summer for free rather than cash in now if they have not tied up an adequate replacement.

2 hours ago, Rich NATA said:

Only a fan-site opinion, but worth a read...

Southampton have report ably put a £6 million price tag on Che Adams head should he leave this January, but it seems that even at this knockdown price, the buyers are yet to put in an offer and Saints could well opt to keep him at St Mary's.

Che Adams obviously feels that his place is in the Premier League, hence he turned down the offer of a new contract at the start of the season and ended up staying for the first part of the season.

With his current deal up in the summer, you would have thought that a few potential suitors would step forward, especially as the asking price now is said to be as low as £6 million, roughly the price that Saints would have to pay to bring in the likes of Aberdeen's Bojan Miovski or Hearts Laurence Shankland, two strikers from Scotland linked with the club should Adams leave.

Southampton seem relaxed about the situation, but with the need for a striker at the head of their list, be it Che Adams or a new man, it seems that the club will not be held to ransom and although they might well accept an offer that is acceptable, they will not do so unless they have tied up a replacement first, therefore letting Che Adams go on deadline day is unlikely.

footballleagueworld.co.uk are quoting Talksport's Alex Crook who is claiming that it is now highly likely that Adams will still be a Saints player come the end of the transfer window.

It seems both Saints and Adams himself are happy to see where the situation leads, the player can now see that Saints have a real chance of regaining their Premier League status and that being the case is prepared to hang on and then talk about contracts if and when the club are promoted.

But he is also open to offers and should Wolves or Crystal Palace, two of the potential suitors come up with the cash, then he will consider it, it seems that Everton who were heavily linked ar now not in the running and even if they were with further points deductions in the pipeline for the Toffee's, Adams might see that his chances of Premier League football next season are better with Southampton than Everton.

But I would also expect a late offer for Adams, to be blunt £6 million is peanuts for a player with Adams experience, but Saints seem to be very clear here, they are prepared to let him leave in the summer for free rather than cash in now if they have not tied up an adequate replacement. 

No disrespect but it's not really much of a read. Normal a club offers a player for a lower price when his contract is in its last 6 months, it's slightly surprising no EPL don't want to chance it but Adams but that's probably down to his poor season prior to the last couple of weeks. 

Personally don't mind if he stays or goes just need to be playing & in the form he is capable of come the summer.

By the way I can't see any team paying near £6 million for Shankland. 

28 minutes ago, theabsentee said:

No disrespect but it's not really much of a read. Normal a club offers a player for a lower price when his contract is in its last 6 months, it's slightly surprising no EPL don't want to chance it but Adams but that's probably down to his poor season prior to the last couple of weeks. 

Personally don't mind if he stays or goes just need to be playing & in the form he is capable of come the summer.

By the way I can't see any team paying near £6 million for Shankland. 

I think 5m is possible. Alot of English championship sides would pay that easily. I don't think hearts should sell for anything less. Even 5m is possibly too low when you consider that he will pretty much guarantees them group stages of European football.

30 minutes ago, syecosse said:

Burnley/Dundee partnership seems Michael Mellon may be the first loan signing, very good signing if true as will be interesting to see after his goal scoring at Morecombe how he does in the SPL.

Although the spl gets slagged for it's standard I think it can be quite a hard league for strikers at times and it's easily a level above league 2 so this could be a good test for Mellon. If he can do well at Dundee then next season get a loan to the English championship or back to the spl that would be good for his development in the long run.

35 minutes ago, syecosse said:

Burnley/Dundee partnership seems Michael Mellon may be the first loan signing, very good signing if true as will be interesting to see after his goal scoring at Morecombe how he does in the SPL.

That would be interesting move. It would fit too with rumour that Zak Rudden might be heading back to Thistle.

McKenna rumours seem to have gone cold. Hopefully things are moving in the background. He is one of our best centre back options and could be in the first 11 for the Euros. Especially if Hanley doesn't fully recover. 

As much as I rate Hanley and Cooper, both probably only have a couple more seasons in them. McKenna is a much more stable long(ish) term solution.

A back 3 of Tierney, McKenna and Porteous is actually pretty solid.

Not a transfer, because he hasn't moved anywhere, but Gauld signed a new contract at Vancouver.

One thing I've noticed, that may just be a coincidence, is that Clarke was Kilmarnock manager when Gauld was on loan at Hibs. I wonder if that has influenced his perception of him negatively. An abiding memory of being ineffectual. That might sully his view of him, which is quite hard to shake off.

31 minutes ago, syecosse said:

Jeremiah Mullen has joined Caley on loan from Leeds till the end of the season. Interesting to see how he gets on there. 

Yeh it will be, centre back . Think he is a pretty big lad who can play a bit so would expect him to be ready & look pretty good at that level .

Duncan Ferguson might know him as think Mullen came through the Everton youth system unless I'm mistaken & it was Liverpool.

2 hours ago, Tartan blood said:

Not a transfer, because he hasn't moved anywhere, but Gauld signed a new contract at Vancouver.

One thing I've noticed, that may just be a coincidence, is that Clarke was Kilmarnock manager when Gauld was on loan at Hibs. I wonder if that has influenced his perception of him negatively. An abiding memory of being ineffectual. That might sully his view of him, which is quite hard to shake off.

Clarke must have a fairly poor perception of players like Jacob Brown then who’ve been terrible in front of his own eyes whilst Scotland manager 

2 hours ago, Tartan blood said:

I think he probably doesn't rate MLS plus it's hardly convenient for Scotland duty if he lives in Vancouver. He's clearly not getting a call up any time soon. If he'd been an established player, like Jack Hendry, when he went to MLS it might have been different.

1 hour ago, ProudScot said:

Clarke must have a fairly poor perception of players like Jacob Brown then who’ve been terrible in front of his own eyes whilst Scotland manager 

I do wonder if Clarke has now given Brown his shot, and blown it. 

He isn't really an out and out striker anyway, so I'm not sure it's worth persevering with him as striker number 3. 

1 hour ago, BryanBlessed said:

I think he probably doesn't rate MLS plus it's hardly convenient for Scotland duty if he lives in Vancouver. He's clearly not getting a call up any time soon. If he'd been an established player, like Jack Hendry, when he went to MLS it might have been different.

True, but he also didn't call him up when he was in Portugal.

It's a real shame, because he is a fantastic player. But he also happens to play in a position where we have tons of talent.

22 minutes ago, Tartan blood said:

True, but he also didn't call him up when he was in Portugal.

It's a real shame, because he is a fantastic player. But he also happens to play in a position where we have tons of talent.

If he was that fantastic he wouldn't be plying his trade in Canada .

He's not currently in the squad cos he currently ain't good enough, and I don't think he ever will be.

44 minutes ago, stocky said:

He's not currently in the squad cos he currently ain't good enough, and I don't think he ever will be.

I think Scotland have a lot of great players that aren't able to get into the squad. Guys that would have been automatic picks a decade or so ago. 

For example, there is a very real possibility that Shankland, Fraser, Souttar, Jack, Cairney, Cooper, Doig, Ralston, Nisbet, Brown, Turnbull, Ramsay, Wright, Doak, and umpteen Scots plying their trade in the Championship won't be in the Euros squad. I think that is a good endorsement of where we are in terms of a talent pool. (Please don't go through each player saying why they aren't good enough. I already know)

Maybe "fantastic" is an exaggeration, but he is undoubtedly talented.

3 hours ago, stocky said:

He’s a designated player earning 40k a week, like other quality players in the league. It’s not like he’s a standard Vancouver player. 

He would have had multiple offers in top European leagues when he left Farense but chose Vancouver. He was already one of the highest rated players outside the big clubs in Portuguese league, a league that’s definitely good enough for our players. 

So no, the fact that he plays in Canada isn’t a good indication on how good he is. 

17 minutes ago, Super_Scotlandfan said:

He’s a designated player earning 40k a week, like other quality players in the league. It’s not like he’s a standard Vancouver player. 

He would have had multiple offers in top European leagues when he left Farense but chose Vancouver. He was already one of the highest rated players outside the big clubs in Portuguese league, a league that’s definitely good enough for our players. 

So no, the fact that he plays in Canada isn’t a good indication on how good he is. 

Totally agree with this. Can you see clubs in the MLS making the likes of Jacob Brown and Kenny McLean designated players? No chance but I think Gauld has come to the conclusion that he’s never going to get a chance with Scotland whilst Clarke is manager and so he’s decided to sign up for another 3 years in Canada and more than likely will play for Canada in a couple of years. In the meantime he’s living in a great city and earning £2m + a year. Can’t be bad. Can’t be many players around the globe earning that sort of money that have never been capped for their country. 

1 minute ago, GHfaeGTA said:

Totally agree with this. Can you see clubs in the MLS making the likes of Jacob Brown and Kenny McLean designated players? No chance but I think Gauld has come to the conclusion that he’s never going to get a chance with Scotland whilst Clarke is manager and so he’s decided to sign up for another 3 years in Canada and more than likely will play for Canada in a couple of years. In the meantime he’s living in a great city and earning £2m + a year. Can’t be bad. Can’t be many players around the globe earning that sort of money that have never been capped for their country. 

Yeah think this is spot on. He is easily good enough to be in the Scotland Squad. Vancouver is an amazing city, has everything, sea, mountains and a good city life. Not surprised he is enjoying life out there.