Scottish player transfers - Page 218 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scottish player transfers

SkyBlueScot

11 minutes ago, Third Lanark said:

Not that long ago they were talking about Tierney as a future Arsenal captain. Can only be because of his susceptibility to injury that Arteta is reluctant to play him.

He doesn't seem to think he fits in their system. Though given the amount of times I watched Arsenal last season and they were caught out down their left because Zinchenko had drifted into centre mid I think they could maybe do with more orthodox fullbacks.
This system seems to be the new trend in the Premier League but whilst it's ok going forward, a lot of the top teams are looking shaky at the back as a result

1 hour ago, N4Footsoldier said:

If he performs for Scotland then I don't care. We've not done too badly out of players who aren't necessarily first choice for their clubs, Anya for example. My feelings aren't hurt by him not playing.

Anyway he appears to be off to Sociedad so surely that will alleviate the arbitrary concerns of this group.

Hardly arbitrary concerns. There are far more examples of players who are rusty because they’ve not been playing football. Tierney has been brilliant for Scotland but he racked up plenty of minutes for Arsenal in Europe, the cups and even the league, even though he wasn’t first choice. Indications were that he was now completely out the picture at Arsenal. Great news he seems to be getting a move to a Spanish Champions League team.

Hopefully the loan move goes through but this is such a strange one for me.  An absolute favourite with the fans, best LB at the club and has a great work ethic and attitude so can't understand why Arteta wants nothing to do with him.  Arteta also isn't coming out well from all this considering he was saying pre season Tierney's in his plans and just needs to work hard to get back in the team.  

Fingers crossed we'll be watching Arsenal getting rinsed this season (especially down the left hand side) and Arteta getting his jotters by Christmas!

5 hours ago, N4Footsoldier said:

If he performs for Scotland then I don't care. We've not done too badly out of players who aren't necessarily first choice for their clubs, Anya for example. My feelings aren't hurt by him not playing.

Anyway he appears to be off to Sociedad so surely that will alleviate the arbitrary concerns of this group.

There is plenty on here including me didn't mind that he wasn't always a automatic pick as with his injury record it might have been a positive him not playing every week for his club. 

Things have dramatically changed , he isn't even training with the first team squad &  it'd be almost impossible to play international football without any first team minutes in his legs for weeks or months on end! 

Thankfully it looks like Sociedad to the rescue for this season anyway. If he has a very good season & stays fit there will be bigger clubs in for him for sure.

5 hours ago, wanderer said:

Sky Sports saying Ryan Fraser is set to join Southampton on a season-long loan

Looks like Fraser's gonna be a Saint.

Russel Martin talking about Fraser (much said about character/personality).

Southampton's Martin gives reason for signing Fraser on loan

RUSSELL Martin has outlined the reason Saints have decided to sign Newcastle United winger Ryan Fraser on loan.

The 29 year old is set to complete his loan switch to the south coast from the Championship League side this week.

Fraser, who joined Newcastle in 2020, only managed 311 minutes in the Premier League last season having been frozen out by manager Eddie Howe.

Speaking ahead of his side's home fixture against QPR this weekend, Martin revealed why the club have pursued his former international teammate amid uncertain future surrounding their attackers.

The 29-time Scotland international said: “Having known him myself at Scotland I know that he is a very good player.

"(He will add) competition for places and a bit of experience with nearly 200 Premier League games and having got promoted out of this division before.

“He’s someone I know well having played against him and also with him for Scotland. He will bring a lot on the pitch but also with his mentality.

"He wants to win, (he has) aggression in training.

“He’s desperate to prove a point. He’s had quite a while without football now and he comes here desperate to play games and to prove to people that there’s a lot of football left in him.

“He possesses a lot of talent. He plays a position where there has been a lot of noise in recent weeks.

"He adds (to our depth), but we also prepare ourselves in case we lose any players."

Fraser was sent to train with Newcastle's under-21 side last season after a disagreement with manager Howe.

That came after he previously rejected a short-term contract extension whilst at Bournemouth - playing under Howe - at the end of the Covid-delayed 2019-20 Premier League season.

Despite the well-publicised fallouts, Martin isn't worried about Frasers' attitude.

“I’m really fortunate that I know him," he continued. "If I thought the character was questionable at any point, then he just wouldn’t be here.

“I’ve said before that no matter how much talent you possess it’s all about your character and how you’re adding to the group.

"He will be totally fine fitting in with this group. He has an edge because he wants to win, I think it’s something that we really need in this group.

“He’s a good lad, I spoke to Eddie at length about him, and despite what’s gone on there (Newcastle) and at Bournemouth, Eddie spoke really highly about him.

“He’s someone we identified early on as a very good player. He’s had interest from most teams in this division to be honest, especially from clubs that want to be up and fighting for promotion.

“I only see it as a good signing. We have some really talented young wingers and he comes with some experience and age which I think will help us."

SAINTS manager Russell Martin confirmed Che Adams does have a contract offer on the table and hopes he will be in the team to face QPR tomorrow – but cannot guarantee it.

Adams, as reported exclusively by the Daily Echo, has an open contract offer from the club that he can choose to sign and end speculation over his future.

The 26 year old has just one year left on his deal at St Mary’s amid rejected bids from Everton, who are so far not finding an agreement due to the structure of the deal.

Martin wants to have Adams in his starting XI to face QPR at home tomorrow and credits the Scotland international for his attitude throughout.

“The situation is ongoing and it is really fluid. The one thing I’m 100 per cent sure of is how good of a character Che is and how good of a professional he is,” Martin said.

“I’ve really enjoyed working with him and I hope we can continue. We have offered him a new contract amidst all the chaos.

“We have rejected a couple of bids for him, one recently and one a couple of weeks ago. Whilst there is not a bid that meets the club's valuation nothing will change.”

The boss continued: “But it will be down to the situation and how Che feels about it. Ideally, we will have him in the team tomorrow.

“If he’s not, it’s likely because the situation has developed a bit. We have to be aware that something might happen in the next 24 to 48 hours.

“Hopefully he is weighing up the contract offer from us despite what’s gone on previously. Hopefully, he feels a bit differently now with what we are trying to build.

“Hopefully that will help us be able to tie a few of them down. If it doesn’t then we will have to go and replace Che and other people.

“I’m not trying to blag you, I’m being really honest. We spoke this morning, we spoke last night and I’m sure we will speak again at some point this afternoon.”

17 hours ago, mccaughey85 said:

Bit strange that no top clubs want tierney. Arsenal would probably let him go for 15/20m which is a steal in todays market even if he is a bit injury prone.

Newcastle were linked strongly end of last season but they signed Hall from Chelsea instead.

Thought Villa might've come in given they want to move Digne on and Emery signed him for Arsenal.

In the end though he's moved to another CL team and Real Sociedad play high tempo football so he should fit in to their style.

13 hours ago, Tartan Chris said:

Newcastle were linked strongly end of last season but they signed Hall from Chelsea instead.

Thought Villa might've come in given they want to move Digne on and Emery signed him for Arsenal.

In the end though he's moved to another CL team and Real Sociedad play high tempo football so he should fit in to their style.

I'm really glad he's gone to Real Sociedad. I can't really see any negatives. As much as I was okay with him going to Newcastle, I really didn't want to have to "support" Newcastle, out of principle. 

Looks like Liverpool and Southampton will be the teams to support this year.

Still hoping McTominay gets a move to West Ham, or at least gets back in the first 11 for Man U. 

1 hour ago, csinclair said:

Did not expect to see McTominay linked with Bayern Munich but that rumour seems to be doing the rounds online

Seems a bit out there. Is he going to play anymore than he doesn't United?

He should be looking for a move somewhere he will start every week. He's too good to be sitting about.

7 minutes ago, Kirk said:

He should be looking for a move somewhere he will start every week. He's too good to be sitting about.

His style will fit better with Bayern than Man Utd 

1 hour ago, csinclair said:

Did not expect to see McTominay linked with Bayern Munich but that rumour seems to be doing the rounds online

12 hours ago, csinclair said:

I think he'll be staying at Man. United.

They've sold Fred and Mount as an 8 dosen't look good at all so far with midfield balance so McTominay will get his fair share of starts across cup competitions and league games up to January at least.

Slight concern that Bayern appear to want him as a ‘6’ rather than an ‘8’, but if he’s going to get more game time, plus the invaluable personal and professional development of playing abroad, then I’d say the positives outweigh that.

Also, the paper may be talking nonsense and they don’t see him as a ‘6’ at all, if so better still.

15 hours ago, Caledonian Craig said:

And a good move for him too.

It is indeed. He's moved to a huge club playing in one of the best leagues in Europe, and the Champions League too.

It's a wee bit ironic that he's gone to a team from the Basque country after being frozen out of Arsenal by a manager from the Basque country!

13 hours ago, Kirk said:

The story I saw says another player would be going to Man Utd in his place, which suggests they're planning on playing him.