Scottish Players in action 17/18 - Page 28 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scottish Players in action 17/18

jamboman

Was at Stoke v West Brom today. Best league in the world? Aside from a couple of tidy finishes, this game was bereft of any quality. Fletch was decent enough in the first half but woeful after the break before being subbed. Burke only got the last ten minutes or so and barely touched the ball - they hardly shipped it wide left at all. What is clear is that he won't develop with West Brom. They are a truly awful team.

6 hours ago, killiefaetheferry said:

Should be another chance for Robertson today v Swansea. Thought he played well against Arsenal, and none of the 3 goals against were his fault (2 mistakes by Gomez and 1 by Mignolet). Would imagine he will see a lot of the ball going forward.

Gary Neville listed a number of Liverpool defenders who needed clearing out and included Robertson. Not sure what exactly he's done wrong to upset him.

4 minutes ago, SkyBlueScot said:

Gary Neville listed a number of Liverpool defenders who needed clearing out and included Robertson. Not sure what exactly he's done wrong to upset him.

Mental surely. The problem has been moreno and the centre backs all season. Robbo has hardly played, relatively 

57 minutes ago, jamboman said:

where did he say that

Always knew he was a knob

"Simon Mignolet we have talked about, Loris Karius we have talked about. And then you talk about the left-backs, you play James Milner there, you play Andrew Robertson there, you play Alberto Moreno there. Can you trust them in the biggest games?"

it was part of a wider article on players they should be rid of.

6 hours ago, mccaughey85 said:

Bardsleys started the last couple of games for Burnley, surely the new manager would include him in the squad, guy has years of epl first team experience while we are not exactly abundant in quality right back players he would surely be a good option there.

Experience in depth in the squads is something we need to do less and less, it's why we end up playing the oldest average aged team.

16 hours ago, SkyBlueScot said:

"Simon Mignolet we have talked about, Loris Karius we have talked about. And then you talk about the left-backs, you play James Milner there, you play Andrew Robertson there, you play Alberto Moreno there. Can you trust them in the biggest games?"

it was part of a wider article on players they should be rid of.

I just see that as Robertson not being Neville's type of defender. I think Neville looks at full-backs more in a defensive light and if we are all being honest here Robertson's strength is going forward - not his defending.

14 hours ago, ceudmilefailte said:

Experience in depth in the squads is something we need to do less and less, it's why we end up playing the oldest average aged team.

We need guys playing at the highest level which he has been for most of his career. He's only 32, same age as Berra and brown. It's not as if we have great options at right back either. Callum Paterson is on the bench most of the time for Cardiff. Tbf bardsley should of been our right back the last 4 years but for some reason he's been ignored.

Do we know he has been ignored though?

I have a sneaky suspicion he may have asked not to be selected. Why? Well I think it is highly odd that in all that time he has not worded one word of dissent about being overlooked. Surely, he'd be so seething something would have come out but not a dickybird. The sikence had been deafening.

1 hour ago, Marky said:

Speaking of right backs, Hibs fans (or any other fans for that matter) may tell me I'm talking keech, but any time I've seen Hibs recently, Martin Boyle looks like a really decent player.

Has looked pretty decent (for a former Dee) but never a right back

57 minutes ago, GHfaeGTA said:

Has looked pretty decent (for a former Dee) but never a right back

When I saw that you had replied to one of my posts, I’d have put a year’s salary on it being to my other post on the weekend matches thread!! :o

7 hours ago, Caledonian Craig said:

I have a sneaky suspicion he may have asked not to be selected. Why? Well I think it is highly odd that in all that time he has not worded one word of dissent about being overlooked. Surely, he'd be so seething something would have come out but not a dickybird. The sikence had been deafening.

This exactly. Obviously something amiss.

11 hours ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Strachan was asked about not calling up Bardsley & said his usual “he’s close to the squad, he’s another who’s unlucky” blah blah.

So it wasn’t the player it was Strachan himself as per. 

14 hours ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Maybe he’s not seething about it because he’s not Scottish. Don’t want to start that whole debate about ‘Scottish or not Scottish’ again, quite happy to use the same rules for eligibility that everyone else uses. What I mean is Bardsley hasn’t grown up as a Scotland fan, maybe he has no passion for the team so isn’t that bothered about being left out.

Isn’t Bardsley eligible through his dad being born in Scotland, but his dad was only born there because his parents were on holiday there at the time? Pretty tenuous link... 

Top Scottish goalscorers this season from the divisions we've chosen from in the last couple of squads:

9 Goals: Charlie Mulgrew...31 year old Centre Back playing in English League 1. 

8 Goals: Kris Boyd...34 year old past his best lazy Striker playing in the Scottish Premiership. No chance of another cap. 

7 Goals: James Forrest...Winger who has never had a good game for Scotland (also 0 goals in 20 caps). I'd still stick with him for Scotland though...could do a Griffiths!

6 Goals: Leigh Griffiths...Can't get consistent game time at Celtic. Seems our only hope. Struggling if he gets injured. 

6 Goals: Simon Murray...Doesn't seem to have the overall game and finishing ability to play for Scotland.

Makes for depressing reading. We've normally got 2 or 3 players in the Championship scoring 15 ish and a top goalscorer with more than 2 in the English Premier League. Hopefully some of the boys with 5 goals or less can step up in the new year. Maybe Jamie Paterson at Bristol City, Rhodes or (more of a long shot) Oli Burke can get a few goals. 

2 hours ago, Super_Scotlandfan said:

Top Scottish goalscorers this season from the divisions we've chosen from in the last couple of squads:

9 Goals: Charlie Mulgrew...31 year old Centre Back playing in English League 1. 

8 Goals: Kris Boyd...34 year old past his best lazy Striker playing in the Scottish Premiership. No chance of another cap. 

7 Goals: James Forrest...Winger who has never had a good game for Scotland (also 0 goals in 20 caps). I'd still stick with him for Scotland though...could do a Griffiths!

6 Goals: Leigh Griffiths...Can't get consistent game time at Celtic. Seems our only hope. Struggling if he gets injured. 

6 Goals: Simon Murray...Doesn't seem to have the overall game and finishing ability to play for Scotland.

Makes for depressing reading. We've normally got 2 or 3 players in the Championship scoring 15 ish and a top goalscorer with more than 2 in the English Premier League. Hopefully some of the boys with 5 goals or less can step up in the new year. Maybe Jamie Paterson at Bristol City, Rhodes or (more of a long shot) Oli Burke can get a few goals. 

May look poor at the mo but not overly concerned in this area to be honest. Who's to say we don't have a couple of strikers banging them in at the start of next season in time for the new campaign.You can't say strachan never had us scoring goals, everyone knows where our problem area is. 

10 minutes ago, JECK said:

May look poor at the mo but not overly concerned in this area to be honest. Who's to say we don't have a couple of strikers banging them in at the start of next season in time for the new campaign.You can't say strachan never had us scoring goals, everyone knows where our problem area is. 

True, and I also reckon we're more likely to profit from a Lafferty type striker - not playing at a high level of scoring bucket loads but always produces for the national team.

Plenty of Scots in action in the old firm game today.

Scott Brown was excellent & MOM I think was David Bates who had a really good game at the back with Danny Wilson - both look pretty decent options for us in our problem position.

Hopefully Griffiths will get more of a game when Dembele inevitably leaves this January. 

57 minutes ago, ProudScot said:

Plenty of Scots in action in the old firm game today.

Scott Brown was excellent & MOM I think was David Bates who had a really good game at the back with Danny Wilson - both look pretty decent options for us in our problem position.

Hopefully Griffiths will get more of a game when Dembele inevitably leaves this January. 

Very impressed with Bates.