Josh Taylor - Page 6 - Other Sports - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Josh Taylor

vanderark14

18 hours ago, vanderark14 said:

Crawford is now being mentioned at 147, that one he'll of a step up.

Never been ringside but been to quite a few fights over the last 6 years. Joshua Klitscko, Joshua v Povetkin, Golovkin v Brook, bellew v haye x 2, Taylor v prograis 

Aye Crawford is the absolute elite of the elite and a mean fucker in the ring to boot. He hasn't exactly been kept busy though and the standard of his recent opponents is less than stellar - if they do fight next Taylor would definitely be more battle hardened having faced better recent opponents.

Decent list of fights you have been to there, Matchroom Boxing should give you a season ticket.

6 hours ago, morrie21 said:

Taylor's achievement at the weekend inspired me to spill some ink. It had been a while since I wrote anything so it was kind of my former editor at NY FIGHTS to agree to run this piece on the site. Enjoy if you want to read.

https://nyfights.com/worldwide/josh-tailor-makes-scotland-proud/

A great read morrie. Thanks for sharing 

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Fucks sake everything about tonight is wrong. 

I didn’t go as I couldn’t bring myself to support Taylor…..he’s continually proving he’s a horrible wee ned wank. 

I figured I’d still want him to win when the fight started..Scotland vs England and all that. I was wrong ..when JC chinned him early I went “YES”.  

After R4 I put a fiver on Caterall to win on points. Not a doubt in my mind by then that Taylor was going to lose.  By the end of R5 I was thinking he might even get stopped but I didn’t bet again.

The decision..ffs. One of the worst hometown decisions since..erm…Ricky Burns got an outrageous draw with Raymundo Beltran…also in Glasgow. 

I can’t be the only boxing fan who sometimes just wants boxing to fuck the fuck off. 

Taylor is a very lucky boy. Another night of boxing ends with the judges scorecards being the main topic of conversation. It's an embarrassment for the sport.

Taylor looked off from the start - weight cut possibly drained him too much - and Catterall executed his game-plan perfectly to build a handy lead on the cards. Yes it was untidy and scrappy at points but Catterall's footwork, distance control and timing was bang on all night. Coupled with the knockdown and the only logical scoring should have been a unanimous decision win for Catterall.

I don't know what else to say - there must be no officials coming through to judge these fights as the UK generally uses the same 10 or 12 judges/refs for these big nights and it is very common to see horrific scorecards. Something needs to be done but I have no answers.

I had catterall winning by 2 rounds however i do believe the ref should have docked him points from the 3rd round, holding on like hell, grappling, head locks ect,, add to that he punched Taylor when down which he could have been disqualified.. i watched the fight with American commentary today and it makes a big difference it has to be said, it was in no way the robbery everyone made out, it was close but i think catterell won by 1/2 points 

5 hours ago, hampden_loon2878 said:

I had catterall winning by 2 rounds however i do believe the ref should have docked him points from the 3rd round, holding on like hell, grappling, head locks ect,, add to that he punched Taylor when down which he could have been disqualified.. i watched the fight with American commentary today and it makes a big difference it has to be said, it was in no way the robbery everyone made out, it was close but i think catterell won by 1/2 points 

I always try to watch boxing with American commentary if it's an all British fight. 

Sky sports are appauling when they have a clear favourite. 

Really enjoyed the whole day and the main event (Hydro was packed to the rafters) I'm not sure if there will be a re-match, but I'm sure I heard Josh Taylors head trainer saying if there is a re-match, it will be at 147lbs rather than 140lbs.

Taylor being the naturally bigger man (and IMO having an off night on Saturday), I think he beats Catterall all day long, Catterall came across as a decent lad & had a fair squad of fans up from Manchester.

I support Josh Taylor when he fights but often cringe when I hear him speak. I get that most pro boxers need to have incredible self belief and can be gobby pre fight but he often comes across as a bit of tw4t. Jack Catterall on the other hand seems a more decent bloke with more class. I heard Catterall say yesterday that when he went over to hug Josh after the fight the first thing Josh said was 'I won the fight' rather than saying 'good fight' or 'well done'. 

Josh was pretty fortunate to beat Prograis which was a draw IMO. He probably got the decision because it was in the UK and the final of the super series where a draw wasn't an option. 

Anyway, if Josh goes to 147 good luck to him. I think that Catterall v Prograis would be a great fight at 140 for the undisputed but that's probably easier said that done. 

1 hour ago, morrie21 said:

https://nyfights.com/worldwide/reflecting-on-taylor-vs-catterall/

Just some thoughts on how it all played out.

Good article Morrie

I disagree with Caterill saying he gave Taylor a lesson, he did win but it was closer than the media are making it out to be, particularly Sky Sports

1 hour ago, vanderark14 said:

Good article Morrie

I disagree with Caterill saying he gave Taylor a lesson, he did win but it was closer than the media are making it out to be, particularly Sky Sports

Thanks mate. The month I return to boxing coverage I get hit with a controversial one on my first assignment.