Josh Taylor - Page 8 - Other Sports - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Josh Taylor

vanderark14

1 hour ago, vanderark14 said:

Great article 

I'll be watching the documentary tonight 

Thanks mate. It's been brisk over on Twitter. Taylor, his mother and the director of the film all sharing it. BBC, Sky and Taylor's US promoter not showing much interest though. That Top Rank PR guy is a weirdo though - will bend over backwards to get you access to a fighter or press pass but will he fuck share an article. Still way better to deal with than Matchroom an Warren though - they are just pricks across the board.

• 4 months later...
On 6/22/2022 at 7:50 PM, morrie21 said:

Article published an hour or so ago. NY Fights editor tagged Taylor on Twitter and received a RT from the man himself. Hopefully he and anyone on here enjoys the read.

https://nyfights.com/worldwide/uk/josh-taylor-documentary-offers-true-representation-inside-boxing/

What you thinking about the rematch? Will Josh have manage to regain his past form? I see he has changed trainer as well. I hope he comes back his old self and proves a point 

8 hours ago, hampden_loon2878 said:

What you thinking about the rematch? Will Josh have manage to regain his past form? I see he has changed trainer as well. I hope he comes back his old self and proves a point 

These are the questions. He definitely regressed under Davison. The McGuigan trained Taylor destroys the current version. Obviously going into the last Catterall fight there were issues - going into camp seriously overweight, an injury and possible Covid hangover. I really hope that Taylor is fully switched on for this rematch, I think he will be.

Now with Joe McNally of Liverpool who is regarded as a great up and coming trainer within boxing circles. McNally has made a good start by working with young fighters JJ Metcalfe and Caoimhin Agyarko and veteran Liam Smith.

2 hours ago, morrie21 said:

These are the questions. He definitely regressed under Davison. The McGuigan trained Taylor destroys the current version. Obviously going into the last Catterall fight there were issues - going into camp seriously overweight, an injury and possible Covid hangover. I really hope that Taylor is fully switched on for this rematch, I think he will be.

Now with Joe McNally of Liverpool who is regarded as a great up and coming trainer within boxing circles. McNally has made a good start by working with young fighters JJ Metcalfe and Caoimhin Agyarko and veteran Liam Smith.

Fingers crossed, it would be a shame if he were to under perform Again as that is what he will be remembered for. 

13 hours ago, hampden_loon2878 said:

@morrie21 have you seen much of alex arthur jnr? heard a few folk saying he is a good prospect, his dad seems excited about him however doesnt give too much away. any other young scots to keep an eye on?

I've only really seen what his old man shares on Twitter, but apparently he is a hell of a prospect. There's another Arthur son too training and boxing in the amateurs and Alex has his own gym in Edinburgh where they work. 

I think Regan Glackin is one to keep an eye on. 9-0 and working his way through the early pro career stages well. Looks like he might be able to move up through the levels towards maybe British title.

• 5 weeks later...
On 11/12/2022 at 8:27 AM, morrie21 said:

Taylor definitely looks to be in a better place just now, hopefully he’s back to his old self 

• 4 weeks later...
2 hours ago, glasgow jock said:

I thought I had heard the re-match was scheduled (though TBC) was for March, surely can't be now as we are more than halfway through January ??

see the message directly above your one. Fight is on March 4th at the Hydro. Tickets on sale on boxxer.com from Jan 26th which is a pre-sale you need to register for.

19 hours ago, morrie21 said:

see the message directly above your one. Fight is on March 4th at the Hydro. Tickets on sale on boxxer.com from Jan 26th which is a pre-sale you need to register for.

Registered mate - see how it goes, looking at Hotel prices for city centre that weekend, the greedy c***s have all shot their prices up for that weekend, so fight going ahead that weekend most certainly

16 hours ago, morrie21 said:

ALERT - it's being reported that this fight is off. According to ESPN, Taylor has suffered a torn planter fascia and the bout is postponed. Jesus.

They were mouthing off at each other last night during the eubank jnr v Smith fight

The fight last night was a complete shock, I never saw that coming

3 hours ago, vanderark14 said:

They were mouthing off at each other last night during the eubank jnr v Smith fight

The fight last night was a complete shock, I never saw that coming

Yeah, having Taylor and Catterall doing that after the report earlier in the day was strange. All I'll say is nothing has been officially announced by the lead promoter of the show, Boxxer yet. I guess since the tickets were going on sale on the 26th January we should expect formal clarification between now and then.

As for last night, I though Eubank Jr would have been too big and swift for a shop-worn Smith last night. Maybe he's been overrated all these years due to the family name.

Edited by morrie21

19 hours ago, morrie21 said:

Yeah, having Taylor and Catterall doing that after the report earlier in the day was strange. All I'll say is nothing has been officially announced by the lead promoter of the show, Boxxer yet. I guess since the tickets were going on sale on the 26th January we should expect formal clarification between now and then.

As for last night, I though Eubank Jr would have been too big and swift for a shop-worn Smith last night. Maybe he's been overrated all these years due to the family name.

Eubabk Jnr is certainly not a patch on his dad which may or may not have been pretended he was. This was his third defeat in 35 fights. His dad lost his first match in his 44th fight. I'd say too that his dad fought in a more competitive era too with the likes of Nigel Benn, Michael Watson, Steve Collins, Barrera and Jiminez to name but a few around.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Just in case anyone missed it Taylor v Lopez has been confirmed for June 10 in the small room at Madison Square Garden. I'm pretty sure they would have done big room but it is likely that will be in use for either an NHL or NBA playoff game.

• 4 weeks later...

Just over three weeks away from Taylor-Lopez in New York. Bit of coverage on Taylor this week, training camp footage etc. He does look really sharp and ready. Night and day compared to how he looked before the Catterall fight last year. I'm confident Taylor's new team are getting the best out of him, I'm confident he will absolutely batter Teofimo Lopez.

On 5/18/2023 at 12:50 PM, morrie21 said:

Just over three weeks away from Taylor-Lopez in New York. Bit of coverage on Taylor this week, training camp footage etc. He does look really sharp and ready. Night and day compared to how he looked before the Catterall fight last year. I'm confident Taylor's new team are getting the best out of him, I'm confident he will absolutely batter Teofimo Lopez.

i hope you are right, however going by the judges in the Loma Haney fight, taylor may well need a stoppage 

• 3 weeks later...

Noticed Josh wearing his Scotland top in last nights face to face (good lad)

Weigh in today could be tasty, looking forward to a much better performance that at the Hydro last March, best of luck Josh !!!

Absolutely brutal viewing for Taylor fans that. Getting comprehensively outboxed from round 4/5 onwards and couldn't do anything about it despite solid instructions and ideas on how to do that from his corner.

At the start of the fight Taylor employed a nice looking body attack, then he abandoned it somewhere around the third and just started loading up with one off head shots. Worst thing he ever did was move away from Shane McGuigan, he regressed so much under Davison and well here we are. McNally is a good trainer but maybe what he's working with is the problem.

As good as he looked in prep for this one and at the weigh-in, he looked drained in there last night. Is the weight cut to 140 just too much now?

Or, are we watching a fighter who put so much into his steep climb to the top that this is what we are left with? Hopefully that isn't the case but we can't rule it out after his last two performances.

Lopez was a worthy winner in my eyes, so congratulations to him.

Edited by morrie21