National Embarrassments - Page 4 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

National Embarrassments

2 hours ago, Robbo `81 said:

So, after 3 pages, to summarise.....

Any famous person who voted "No", or advocated voting "No" is a National Embarassment , right ?........

I nominated SNP MSP John Mason for his numerous foot-in-mouth moments.

Would you disagree that Kezia Dugdale and Michael Gove aren't national embarrassments to Scotland ?

Some of us regard the extreme self loathing cringe towards Scotland's culture, history, heritage and languages by some unionists to be a great national embarrassment.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

13 hours ago, ErsatzThistle said:

Would you disagree that Kezia Dugdale and Michael Gove aren't national embarrassments to Scotland ?

Some of us regard the extreme self loathing cringe towards Scotland's culture, history, heritage and languages by some unionists to be a great national embarrassment.

Not at all -- However I don't  think someone should be labelled as such purely because they voted differently from me in the Referendum, as it would appear some people think..

Edited by Robbo `81

Guest BlueGaz
21 minutes ago, Robbo `81 said:

Not at all -- However I don't  think someone should be labelled as such purely because they voted differently from me in the Referendum, as it would appear some people think..

This is ersatz your are dealing with though.  Has he mentioned Oor Wullie yet?

21 hours ago, ErsatzThistle said:

Good shouts on Mason and Gove.

Nicky Campbell on radio 5, embarrassed at the fact he has to discuss England fans this week chanting about the 2nd world war in Germany and allegedly making Nazi salutes, if I heard correctly (but it is typical of him) somehow manages to make it seem like it's all just a British banter problem, and hey what about Flower of Scotland?  Some may say it's a reasonable point... for an England fan to make. 

Edited by exile

On 3/16/2017 at 3:35 AM, Ormond said:

Kelly Macdonald. How she hates her own country so much I'll never know.

On 3/16/2017 at 4:56 PM, Marky said:

Interesting. How so? What have I missed?

yes, you have left that hanging there have you not? She bought a place a couple of years back in Glasgow West End with her Travis guy husband. seem like a nice family enjoing their time here whenever they come back to stay. she cant hate her country that much to want to live here when she is not working - cue cheap joke about expats etc. 

1 hour ago, exile said:

Nicky Campbell on radio 5, embarrassed at the fact he has to discuss England fans this week chanting about the 2nd world war in Germany and allegedly making Nazi salutes, if I heard correctly (but it is typical of him) somehow manages to make it seem like it's all just a British banter problem, and hey what about Flower of Scotland?  Some may say it's a reasonable point... for an England fan to make. 

I was thinking about this this morning. What a difference from when scotland played in Dortmund in 2014. From where i was (behind the dugouts) i never heard any booing of the German national anthem and rounds of applause all round for the anthems.

How anyone can identify with these pricks from england as being some sort of brothers-in-arms is beyond me.

Possibly worthy of a thread of its own, but was the behaviour of the England fans that bad?

Perhaps an indication of how low they've set the bar on what's acceptable?

Its definitely not a surprise, they sing 10 German bombers at most games, I think you could pass of dambusters as "banter"  all be it not to everyones taste. Booing anthems happens all the time.

5 minutes ago, sbcmfc said:

Possibly worthy of a thread of its own, but was the behaviour of the England fans that bad?

Perhaps an indication of how low they've set the bar on what's acceptable?

Its definitely not a surprise, they sing 10 German bombers at most games, I think you could pass of dambusters as "banter"  all be it not to everyones taste. Booing anthems happens all the time.

FFS.  If you can't gloat about defeating the Nazis and ending fascism then I don't what the point is anymore!! 

* Edited to remove a rogue apostrophe.  Wouldn't want the grammar....Nazis all over me! :P

Edited by Fairbairn

2 hours ago, exile said:

I probably didn't listen to the bit that you did but caught a good chunk - 20 minutes or so - later and Nicky Campbell was pretty clear to a couple of callers who were trying to draw comparisons between 10 German bombers and Flower of Scotland and Fields of Athenry that they weren't the same thing, even referencing "Those days are passed now, and in the past they must remain" which is the whole point of Flower of Scotland.

I think you have to give Nicky Campbell a bit of a break.  A big part of his role in hosting a phone-in show is to get people express opinions that are going to spark a debate and part of the way to do that is to play Devil's Advocate.   

I think he does a pretty good job at it, he doesn't go overboard and it shuts down anything that's extreme or offensive pretty quickly.   I've no idea what his personal opinions are and couldn't really hazard a guess at them based on his presenting.  That's pretty much what you want from a presenter.

Best caller on IMHO was a German women who'd lived in Kilmarnock for 12 years and who spoke English with a glorious German accent laced with a hint of Scots.

She put paid to the lie that German's have no sense of humour by saying that the German fans wouldn't be offended by having 10 German Bombers or Dambusters sung at them as they wouldn't have a clue what the English fans were actually singing because they've moved on from World War 2 unlike the English.

5 hours ago, scoobydoo said:

I sometimes wonder how the russians feel when the english bang on about having won the second war. Britain was a distant third, and maybe even further back, behind the rus and the americans.

I'd like to have a pound for every kid I've had to correct for that particular historical inaccuracy.  I could have retired by now.

6 minutes ago, Hertsscot said:

I'd like to have a pound for every kid I've had to correct for that particular historical inaccuracy.  I could have retired by now.

Kid as in goat? are you a veterinarian historian? fantastic - how do animals react to hearing about the number of horses killed in the first world war? or the number of animals scarificed in the space race? your students must be be livid and righly so.

8 hours ago, Fairbairn said:

FFS.  If you can't gloat about defeating the Nazis and ending fascism then I don't what the point is anymore!! 

* Edited to remove a rogue apostrophe.  Wouldn't want the grammar....Nazis all over me! :P

Allegations that some were making Nazi salutes, not exactly celebrating the defeat of fascism surely?

http://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/sport/fa-to-act-over-england-fans-nazi-salutes-mkfcggrh6

7 hours ago, aaid said:

I probably didn't listen to the bit that you did but caught a good chunk - 20 minutes or so - later and Nicky Campbell was pretty clear to a couple of callers who were trying to draw comparisons between 10 German bombers and Flower of Scotland and Fields of Athenry that they weren't the same thing, even referencing "Those days are passed now, and in the past they must remain" which is the whole point of Flower of Scotland.

I think you have to give Nicky Campbell a bit of a break.  A big part of his role in hosting a phone-in show is to get people express opinions that are going to spark a debate and part of the way to do that is to play Devil's Advocate.   

I think he does a pretty good job at it, he doesn't go overboard and it shuts down anything that's extreme or offensive pretty quickly.   I've no idea what his personal opinions are and couldn't really hazard a guess at them based on his presenting.  That's pretty much what you want from a presenter.

Fair enough, I agree he's generally very good at playing the neutral, and playing the devil's advocate, especially when chairing debates like you say.

But at other times he's so clawingly, cringingly self-consciously, self-deprecatingly Scottish it's an embarrassment. IMHO

I mean specifically, when he says things that a self-respecting English host probably wouldn't say about Scotland (eg. the state of Scottish football). Maybe that makes him show we can laugh at ourselves. But it comes across as being worse than if he weren't Scottish at all, as a non Scottish person wouldn't be playing us for self-deprecating laughs.  I can't give an example right now but may return to it if I can be 'rsed.

On 16/03/2017 at 11:18 PM, ErsatzThistle said:

I know what you're saying but I find the guy a breath of fresh air. I mind helping his campaign when he first got elected as an mp and it was a fairly easy task as he was well thought of as a councillor in the east end,  I originally joined his page to speak to him and let him know my opposition to the offensive behaviour at fitba act and whilst we didn't agree at least the guys accessible unlike a lot of politicians. There's a real shower of bangers on his page and I admire the guys patience in dealing with them, he gets asked loaded questions by folk who want to take offence at his answers, maybe that's why most politicians aren't as open as him. Aye, I don't agree with the guy on a couple of things but I find the guys openess fa from embarrassing.