Russia 2018 - Page 8 - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

35 minutes ago, dandydunn said:

Brilliant :rollsmile:

The ref handled it well. He knew right away it was nonsense and just told the guy to get up. 

The only thing that would have been better is if he'd booked him after he got up. 

The overall standard of refereeing has been good so far. 

3 minutes ago, Fairbairn said:

It was a stonewall penalty for France. Didn’t touch the ball and clipped the back of Griezman’s leg with the follow through. It’s not even debatable. 

Get a grip - clipping someone's leg isn't a penalty. Impeding someone's progress is.

Fannies falling over when they feel 'contact' coming isn't and never has been foul play.

Rugby tackling attackers on a corner is impeding someone's progress. Seven or eight penalties a game given for that is much more valid than that shite today.

It's about time these so-called 'athletes' were called out for the cheats that they are.

12 minutes ago, Fairbairn said:

It was a stonewall penalty for France. Didn’t touch the ball and clipped the back of Griezman’s leg with the follow through. It’s not even debatable. 

There was an angle that clearly showed he got the ball and then another angle that didn't look like he touched the ball, it couldn't be further from a stonewall penalty, was an awful decision. VAR in its current guise does very little for the game, the fact it's been used in the World Cup after minimal use in a few select leagues is madness.

6 minutes ago, Barney Rubble said:

Get a grip - clipping someone's leg isn't a penalty. Impeding someone's progress is.

Fannies falling over when they feel 'contact' coming isn't and never has been foul play.

Rugby tackling attackers on a corner is impeding someone's progress. Seven or eight penalties a game given for that is much more valid than that shite today.

It's about time these so-called 'athletes' were called out for the cheats that they are.

There seems to be an accepted logic these days that contact = foul, when it simply isn't the case. 

12 minutes ago, Barney Rubble said:

Get a grip? Calm down petal. 

1 minute ago, Barney Rubble said:

Fairbairn - you are one of the best posters on this forum these days.

How about you debate my opinion without recourse to the above?

I know that you are capable of it.

If you quit with things like “get a grip” it might make it a bit easier. Don’t know what else I can add that wasn’t in my initial post. The clip was enough, for me, to impede the attackers progress. It’s a penalty every day of the week. It’s not France’s fault that the ref didn’t see it and the VAR was used correctly. The delay in the decision to go VAR was ridiculous though. 

3 minutes ago, Fairbairn said:

If you quit with things like “get a grip” it might make it a bit easier. Don’t know what else I can add that wasn’t in my initial post. The clip was enough, for me, to impede the attackers progress. It’s a penalty every day of the week. It’s not France’s fault that the ref didn’t see it and the VAR was used correctly. The delay in the decision to go VAR was ridiculous though. 

Look, I thought a hun would have a thicker skin than that. (Joke).

Having been brought up in the 70s and 80s playing amateur football, I have a different opinion to you as regards what constitutes a penalty.

As I alluded to previously, clips for me are not fouls unless they impede progress, so I disagree with you on today's incident. You have a different opinion based on your experience, and I accept that.

If the referee was that certain he was correct, then why did he go to the VAR in the first place?? That tells a story in itself about the certainty of the decision.

1 hour ago, Barney Rubble said:

He gave a penalty for THAT? AFTER consulting the VAR?????

I mean just GTF!!

I agree.

He was clipped outside the box and could have stayed on his feet.

1 hour ago, DoonTheSlope said:

When did a deliberate hand ball stop becoming a red card

He didn't even get a yellow.