Next Scotland Manager ? - Page 44 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Next Scotland Manager ?

McExpat

2 hours ago, ScotlandWintheWorldCup said:

yeah see you were saying they just wouldn't go through that process.

Slightly off topic, west ham are not a pretty big club, they are just a wealthy club from tv money.

Criteria for big clubs: Have to have won the league in the last 20 years. Won at least one European Trophy, CL, UC, CWC.

I wouldn’t say Leicester or Blackburn (just more than 20 years) are bigger than West Ham.

West Ham also have a European trophy. 

2 hours ago, ScotlandWintheWorldCup said:

Slightly off topic, west ham are not a pretty big club, they are just a wealthy club from tv money.

Criteria for big clubs: Have to have won the league in the last 20 years. Won at least one European Trophy, CL, UC, CWC.

West Ham won the Cup Winners Cup and were losing finalists too.

Edited by Toepoke

14 hours ago, AwayInAManger said:

It may not be just the money or the drive etc.

When Michael O'Neill was appointed by the IFA it was after he did a brilliant interview - not just how much he wanted the job, but what his plans were, how he would do the job, what he needed etc. He was exceptionally well prepared.

There is no doubt he will have been the same with the Scotland job, which is why the SFA were so impressed at interview and went as far as they did financially.

But I have no doubt that the SFA were not prepared to concede to him the authority and autonomy he required, and enjoys with the IFA, hence his turning you down.

On which point, I strongly suspect that Malky Mackay was the sticking point. There was an interview in today's Sunday Times with the Chairman of Cardiff City, Mehmet Dalman. Included amongst the various topics discussed was this interesting aside:

Trust is there [between manager Neil Warnock and owner Vincent Tan] that did not exist between Tan and Mackay, whose transfer activities - which Tan is still unravelling four years on - underpinned his dismissal.

"It wasn't about the personalities. I think the media got that wrong," Dalman says. "It was about Mackay wanting all the glory and the power. He came with the view 'I'm untouchable, I got you promoted'. Whereas Vincent's view was 'Listen, it's my money, my club, everyone's touchable.'"

Any candidate of note, with a decent CV and of whatever nationality, is bound to be concerned in case he finds himself answerable to someone like Mackay.

I'm completely ambivalent about Malky Mackay but I wouldn't believe a word that Vincent Tan said either - and Dahlam is just Tan's spokesman. 

3 hours ago, ScotlandWintheWorldCup said:

yeah see you were saying they just wouldn't go through that process.

Obviously they ain't a man utd or a Liverpool but they are still relatively big when compared with yer hulls or Bournemouths and have spent most of their history in the English top flight. 

3 hours ago, ScotlandWintheWorldCup said:

Just find it a bit depressing that no one can come up with an exceptional manager who makes a difference.  We didn;t produce many good players for about 10 years but fortunately that is changing with are extremely talented youngsters coming through.  However, we always produced great managers up here, so where are they all to take the top job?

Also only about 10% managers are actually any good and gain points for there team, ferguson, smith, conte, allegri (none of them are available though) the rest of the 90% are just a shot in the dark and hope the players make up for their incompetence.

Exceptional managers aren't going to want to manage us, we're hardly a catch. Your right about the dearth of Scottish managers just now. There's still 2 managing in the EPL that we might have got if we'd been quicker, but apparently they're shite anyway. Who's the Smith you name with Conte, Ferguson etc?

On 1/27/2018 at 8:22 PM, mccaughey85 said:

Fuck me, I would not see more dafter comments on a trump Twitter account. Can anyone tell me the achievements of Steve clarke. I must of missed out on the years that Steve clarke was winning trophy's as a manager. And Jim Duffy fuck me.

Steve Clarke - got west brom to their highest ever premier league finish. They have really improved since then have they not???

Jim Duffy - has never let teams with very mediocre player down, knows they scottish game very well, and lets not forget everyone was screaming at strachan for not living in scotland and knowing the scottish game, picking players from scotland and so on

Other candidates:

Eck - remind me the last time he was not fired from a team, oh aye when he walked out on us. Who is left that "knows the scottish game"??? Levein??

Not daft comments at all!! 

2 hours ago, aaid said:

I'm completely ambivalent about Malky Mackay but I wouldn't believe a word that Vincent Tan said either - and Dahlam is just Tan's spokesman. 

You're quite right about Tan (and Dahlam), but that still doesn't mean they're wrong about Mackay, in this instance at least. (The context was Cardiff's transfer committee and Warnock's role within that. All Dahlam needed to say was that the Transfer Committee was implemented after Mackay's departure, but he chose to stick the boot in.)

15 hours ago, AwayInAManger said:

You're quite right about Tan (and Dahlam), but that still doesn't mean they're wrong about Mackay, in this instance at least. (The context was Cardiff's transfer committee and Warnock's role within that. All Dahlam needed to say was that the Transfer Committee was implemented after Mackay's departure, but he chose to stick the boot in.)

And it doesn't mean they are right either.   There was obviously some big problem between Mackay and Tan and I guess only they know exactly what that was all about.   However, Tan - and by proxy Dahlam's - actions since sacking Mackay do appear to be vindictive in the extreme and they seem intent on trying to ruin him.   Vincent Tan strikes me as being someone with a very thin skin.

As I said, I'm completely ambivalent about Malky Mackay but I always take anything coming out of Cardiff about him with a huge pinch of salt.

19 hours ago, stevenmcn said:

Exceptional managers aren't going to want to manage us, we're hardly a catch. Your right about the dearth of Scottish managers just now. There's still 2 managing in the EPL that we might have got if we'd been quicker, but apparently they're shite anyway. Who's the Smith you name with Conte, Ferguson etc?

17 hours ago, jamboman said:

Steve Clarke - got west brom to their highest ever premier league finish. They have really improved since then have they not???

Jim Duffy - has never let teams with very mediocre player down, knows they scottish game very well, and lets not forget everyone was screaming at strachan for not living in scotland and knowing the scottish game, picking players from scotland and so on

Other candidates:

Eck - remind me the last time he was not fired from a team, oh aye when he walked out on us. Who is left that "knows the scottish game"??? Levein??

Not daft comments at all!! 

The Smith is Walter Smith.  Although Alex smith did win the SC twice.  You quote there are still 2 managing in the epl, so????  What does that mean, just because you are taking the moneybags down there you are somehow a good manager?  Hardly think pardew or alladyce are good managers.  Dinosaurs.

I think when we are looking at candidates what there record in sob(south of border :-) ) league shouldn;'t matter as I think with our good young players coming through we need a technical manager, and they don't really have technical teams just athletic down there.  Like Serie a would be a chess match but epl is more like the two guys in dodgeball with a doorknob.

So Eck Mcleish's last posting was scotland with a 70% win rate.  I think he added an attacking element too our game after Smith had laid the foundations which i like.

I think McInnes, McCann are both great candidates for the future, ie 10 years just too young for international game and its long breaks.

Steve Clarke - I still say if he wins the SC with Killie I would take him, its a goal he has to achieve to get the top job.

I actually think Levein is a very good club manager, his dundee Utd team played some nice stuff and its impressive how he repaired the damage after cathro so quickly.  However, we found out the international scene isn't his thing.

Which leaves us well sort of where we were........

1 hour ago, ScotlandWintheWorldCup said:

Steve Clarke - I still say if he wins the SC with Killie I would take him, its a goal he has to achieve to get the top job.

Whether we like it or not, international management isn't likely to be seen as the "top job" for many managers these days.

22 minutes ago, wee-toon-red said:

Whether we like it or not, international management isn't likely to be seen as the "top job" for many managers these days.

Agreed. And sadly that has been the case now for about 30 years since Ferguson chose to go back to a then struggling United after the 86 World Cup and snubbed the job at every turn since then. Dalglish was always quick to distance himself from the job whenever it came up for grabs as was Souness (apart from when his managerial career went downhill).

On 29/01/2018 at 5:44 PM, stevenmcn said:

Still 3. Allardyce is Scottish, don't forget. 

5 hours ago, ScotlandWintheWorldCup said:

The Smith is Walter Smith.  Although Alex smith did win the SC twice.  You quote there are still 2 managing in the epl, so????  What does that mean, just because you are taking the moneybags down there you are somehow a good manager?  Hardly think pardew or alladyce are good managers.  Dinosaurs.

Well, generally clubs like to stay in the moneybags league so usually try and employ decent managers to achieve that. 

So Pardew and Allardyce are poor managers and dinosaurs, but Walter Smith is spoke about in the same category as Conte, Allegri and Ferguson? 😮😀😀

41 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

What have you been smoking? Allardyce is as Scottish as the Dalai Lama.

his mum dad and all his brothers are Scottish, he was born in England...  all his ansestors are Scottish .

I dont think the Dalai has and Scottish ancestry.

Although as he is reborn from someone else, no one really knows..... 

7 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Rumour has it Elvis Presley has spent more time in Scotland than Allardyce has.

That would certainly be true of Phil Bardsley. I seem to remember you were rather keen on seeing him in a Scotland shirt and Allardyce is far more 'Scottish' than him.

Edited by DonnyTJS