Next manager - Page 13 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Next manager

Bennyal

We don't have the players capable of being an Ireland or an Iceland. That requires pace and physical presence something which we lack.

I've seen a few pie in the sky suggestions on here but realistically I would give McLeish another crack - maybe a short term contract to see out the rest of this campaign and then re-assess after that. More tactically aware than GS, more likely to pick players on form rather than his favourites and decent man management skills - can't recall him ever losing a dressing room and most players who have played under him have been very positive about playing for him. Also think he has more ability to get the players fired up than GS and grind out results. GS is just a more stubborn version of George Burley. Genk wasn't great but it was his first overseas role and he had pretty much no money to spend. Villa fans failed never backed him from the start which eventually filtered through to the players. People say he got Birmingham relegated but that was only because he got them promoted in the first place and look how well they've done since he left.

Edited by Saint4805

• Replies 352
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

9 minutes ago, Saint4805 said:

We don't have the players capable of being an Ireland or an Iceland. That requires pace and physical presence something which we lack.

A couple of years ago a lot of Scots fans were dismissive of the O'Neill way. Are we now saying we'd do it that way if only we could?

That's a rhetorical question. My point was that the fans have different expectations and preferences, so we're difficult to please.

In a sense maybe Strachan took us down a route hoping to use the smaller more skilful player but it hasn't worked (for a number of reasons including defence). You could say at least he tried to do things that way, but if it doesn't work maybe people will clamour to bring back the more physical player...

22 hours ago, Saint4805 said:

I've seen a few pie in the sky suggestions on here but realistically I would give McLeish another crack - maybe a short term contract to see out the rest of this campaign and then re-assess after that. More tactically aware than GS, more likely to pick players on form rather than his favourites and decent man management skills - can't recall him ever losing a dressing room and most players who have played under him have been very positive about playing for him. Also think he has more ability to get the players fired up than GS and grind out results. GS is just a more stubborn version of George Burley. Genk wasn't great but it was his first overseas role and he had pretty much no money to spend. Villa fans failed never backed him from the start which eventually filtered through to the players. People say he got Birmingham relegated but that was only because he got them promoted in the first place and look how well they've done since he left.

We have players with pace, but they at seldom used. Most of our players are of similar standard, that being the case I'd pick the biggest and fastest. The unpalatable truth is our players are weak as piss. Until we have genuine ball players that stand out, we need to go down the pragamatic Craig Brown route.

24 minutes ago, Dalgliesh93 said:

It's never gonna happen as he's stated he's happy in retirement. But we need the man who sorted it last time Walter Smith. 

Sorted what? We didn't qualify for anything with him in charge and the game has passed him by like it has passed by pretty much every scottish manager out there at the minute.

6 minutes ago, Mox said:

Sorted what? We didn't qualify for anything with him in charge and the game has passed him by like it has passed by pretty much every scottish manager out there at the minute.

So you trying to say we didn't improve drastically under him? Up 70 place (I think) in the world rankings. I know the rankings count for nowt but you don't go up that many places unless you improving.  Fair enough we didn't qualify in 2006 in his first campaign but he put all the foundations in for us to go the closest we have under big Eck. 

1 hour ago, girvanTA said:

Would Wales or ROI lose 3 headers which resulted in goals for England? Not a chance, would any other nation applaud a manager in Faro after another disappointing campaign? 

We get what we deserve

Yup agreed. The fans in Faro actually did Regan a favor by taking away the decision about Strachan. He was also the press and fans pick after Levein and so they can have no complaints.

The football establishment have started to close ranks as always, they are a bunch of protectionist tosser, all sticking together, no matter what. 

Nevin, Souness, journalists, all saying he is doing as good as he can do, it's pathetic. 

We need a foreigner, no more Scottish old pals act, we will never improve otherwise. 

1 hour ago, kumnio said:

The football establishment have started to close ranks as always, they are a bunch of protectionist tosser, all sticking together, no matter what. 

Nevin, Souness, journalists, all saying he is doing as good as he can do, it's pathetic. 

We need a foreigner, no more Scottish old pals act, we will never improve otherwise. 

correct

it's embarrassing and pointless

how the f**k can souness say he is getting the best out of the group

we're behind Lithuania

The comments from Souness today were just nonsense and an easy thing for a 'pundit' to say, rather than criticise an old pal. 

The Tom English column nailed the situation on the head. Yes there are fundamental problems with our game but that's a much more long term issue beyond the real remit of a national team manager. Main question is though can a better manager get more out the squad? Absolutley he can. NI we're loosing to Aezerbijan, Estonia, I think they took a 4-1 humping of them with pretty much the same squad they have now.

We need a manager who will play players in form, build a team around a guy like Burke. Yes we have our centre half issues but these issues are compounded when the only one who's started all 4 games hasn't started a league games since the first game of the season and you then play a zonal marking system at the same time, it's utter suicide.

To be fair to Strachan, I thought the basis of his tactics v England were very good. It was a pretty attacking formation and one set up to have a good go at them, which we all wanted. I've just watched the game back and still cant believe we lost that 3-0. if we'd been a bit tighter marking wise at the back, plus made more of the good chances we created, it could have been a different story.

I was all for a change after the Lithuania game but I'm not sure now. There's no real stand out candidate out there who I could see would do any better. 

3 minutes ago, Ohhhh diego maradona said:

To be fair to Strachan, I thought the basis of his tactics v England were very good. It was a pretty attacking formation and one set up to have a good go at them, which we all wanted. I've just watched the game back and still cant believe we lost that 3-0. if we'd been a bit tighter marking wise at the back, plus made more of the good chances we created, it could have been a different story.

I was all for a change after the Lithuania game but I'm not sure now. There's no real stand out candidate out there who I could see would do any better. 

it's strachans zonal marking why we weren't tighter at the back

Strachan picked Hanley, Fletcher, Morrison, Forrest in the team

the rest he got right

the bits he got wrong cost the game

6 minutes ago, Ohhhh diego maradona said:

SFA and Strachan live on this nonsense.

On the topic of the next manager - Hopefully he can see that Darren Fletcher is finished as an international footballer.

Posted missing in Slovakia and same again v England costing us goals. Fletcher and Hanley must combine to be responsible for a fair amount of our total goals conceded.