Next manager - Page 12 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Next manager

Bennyal

14 hours ago, Marky said:

Don't disagree with your sentiment AR but I think you might be seriously overestimating the quality of candidate that would be the least bit interested in the Scotland job.

Pay peanuts get monkeys as they say. 

Dont disagree. My main point is that the net needs to be spread far and wide instead of sounding out specific Scots behind the scenes. You have to ask the question to see who fancies it.

I actually think its a fantastic opportunity for a coach. Taking Scotland to a major tournament would be a massive achievement and would make them an instant legend in Scotland and be recognised across Europe and beyond. 

• Replies 352
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If it goes horribly wrong on Friday and they do sack Strachan, though more likely he may walk, I would like to see Lambert as manager. Mcleish has a bad record recently at club level but was one of the best managers we have had in recent times. But lets see how Friday goes.....if we win then all this talk of new managers will soon stop. 

5 hours ago, robbo cop said:

If it goes horribly wrong on Friday and they do sack Strachan, though more likely he may walk, I would like to see Lambert as manager. Mcleish has a bad record recently at club level but was one of the best managers we have had in recent times. But lets see how Friday goes.....if we win then all this talk of new managers will soon stop. 

Lambert just joined wolves.

The only Scotsman for me would be Stevie Clarke. Realistic foreigners? Who knows? We could all have a big list with the likes of Bielsa etc, but would he be interested, could we afford him etc. We'd really need to just wait and see who was interested and take it from there.

The Scotland job can be the kiss of death to a manager with a reputation to protect especially one whose reputation is a little better than their skills as a manager deserve. But equally if we got a manager who was just really good the Scotland job could be one of the best shop windows in the world for them to showcase their skills as a manager because anyone who gets Scotland to a tournament now is going to be considered a fecking genius and see if we got passed the group stage and say did a Wales well that manager could write their own cheque and go to any club in the world (ok I exaggerate but not by that much). We have been a laughing stock so long it would make everyone do a massive double take if we just did ok for once. 

So what does that mean. I think it means we go for some hungry but still up and coming manager, someone who is clearly very good and we offer them the job on their terms as their chance to make a name for themselves on the world stage in a relatively short time scale. We go along with the ride and we accept if they do well they will most likely be poached but in the meantime they will have advanced our game. But we have to get the choice right which is where the problem with the SFA comes in. They don't have a clue who that manager is (and nether do I). The SFA have to be able to repeatedly identify these types of manager because we are like Southhampton we are always going to be losing any manager who does well to a bigger club. Get used to it and get good at it. But alas the SFA are not up to it.

Steve Clarke is an excellent coach and frankly one of the best Scottish defenders of recent times. He would certainly know how to best organise a defence and the whole team. Whether he has any decent material to work with is another matter of course.

Big Sam? is he actually any good as a manager? If he is genuinely good, he is a possibility...providing he publicly comes out with saying how proud he is to be from a Scottish family...

Guus Hiddink? Is he available??? A fantastic manager, virtually no one i would rate higher. He would be superb (and could have Steve Clarke with him).

2 minutes ago, buckielugger said:

Steve Clarke is an excellent coach and frankly one of the best Scottish defenders of recent times. He would certainly know how to best organise a defence and the whole team. Whether he has any decent material to work with is another matter of course.

Big Sam? is he actually any good as a manager? If he is genuinely good, he is a possibility...providing he publicly comes out with saying how proud he is to be from a Scottish family...

Guus Hiddink? Is he available??? A fantastic manager, virtually no one i would rate higher. He would be superb (and could have Steve Clarke with him).

Aye, Hiddink would be great, but would be amazed if we could get him.

1 hour ago, buckielugger said:

Steve Clarke has failed at every club he's been at.

2 hours ago, stevenmcn said:

The only Scotsman for me would be Stevie Clarke. Realistic foreigners? Who knows? We could all have a big list with the likes of Bielsa etc, but would he be interested, could we afford him etc. We'd really need to just wait and see who was interested and take it from there.

he's been taken to court by Lazio for £4m for walking out after one day

would love to think he could come here and teach our players to actually play football

but would prob be disaster

lagerback

or barring him McLeish

It seems an almost impossible job, as everyone wants something different.

Those who remember the 'glory days' (glorious failure) seem to want one thing, those who only know the failure bit, may be happy with another.

One lot wish to see a world class manager bring back bit of the old flair and skill to match the passion etc etc.

The other may be happy with a more modest approach, playing to our level, being hard to beat, grinding out results, and snatching the occasional victory against the odds.

And: it's easy to say we want to be like Iceland (now, now they're successful) but what about the likes of Ireland?

If the fans don't have a consistent view on what we want, can we expect the SFA to?