This Weekends Games - Page 130 - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

This Weekends Games

Guest BlueGaz
13 minutes ago, RenfrewBlue said:

The Aberdeen keeper is nearly as bad with his diving too. 

Nearly as bad?  He faked being kicked when he wasn't even touched.  Both of them were at it.  1-1 in the respect.

• Replies 4.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can't be ersed reading some of the foregoing as this as thread is getting stupid.  However, the Ibrox song is disgusting but has thankfully stopped.  The Ian Durrant song is disgusting and needs to stop.  Lying about what fans sing in order to stir things up is disgusting. 

Back to football.  The smash and grab on Sunday was hard to take.  It does appear that we fail to turn up in "big" games.  Hard to agree, in isolation, that we bottled Sunday as we were the better team and pretty much kidney punched.  However, these big game "performances" are no longer isolated and becoming a real issue for us.  Failure to beat Hibs in the semi will deservedly see us labelled bottlers.

15 minutes ago, SMcoolJ said:

Can't be ersed reading some of the foregoing as this as thread is getting stupid.  However, the Ibrox song is disgusting but has thankfully stopped.  The Ian Durrant song is disgusting and needs to stop.  Lying about what fans sing in order to stir things up is disgusting. 

Back to football.  The smash and grab on Sunday was hard to take.  It does appear that we fail to turn up in "big" games.  Hard to agree, in isolation, that we bottled Sunday as we were the better team and pretty much kidney punched.  However, these big game "performances" are no longer isolated and becoming a real issue for us.  Failure to beat Hibs in the semi will deservedly see us labelled bottlers.

1. What has been lied about?  Both songs were aired on Sunday
2. First half was all Rangers, and Aberdeen had 35 mins of the 2nd half.  Can understand why you may think it was, but on the balance of the game, and chances, it was a deserved away victory.

Guest BlueGaz
16 minutes ago, SMcoolJ said:

Hardly a smash and grab.  0-2 at half time would have been a fair result purely based on good chances.  First 25 mins of 2nd half was backs to the wall but last 15 mins was good.  All in all, a fair result, although 3-5 would have been a more accurate score taking chances into consideration.  

2 minutes ago, BlueGaz said:

Hardly a smash and grab.  0-2 at half time would have been a fair result purely based on good chances.  First 25 mins of 2nd half was backs to the wall but last 15 mins was good.  All in all, a fair result, although 3-5 would have been a more accurate score taking chances into consideration.  

Sorry, disagree.  Thought Aberdeen were the better team other than a 5 minute capitulation.  Miller was the difference.  He was good throughout but during that 5 minute spell, he was fantastic.  Flip side is that Rooney is p1sh.  Thought Toral (is that his name?) was good too.  Was surprised Beerman was taken off and not Bates.

1 minute ago, SMcoolJ said:

Sorry, disagree.  Thought Aberdeen were the better team other than a 5 minute capitulation.  Miller was the difference.  He was good throughout but during that 5 minute spell, he was fantastic.  Flip side is that Rooney is p1sh.  Thought Toral (is that his name?) was good too.  Was surprised Beerman was taken off and not Bates.

Dunno if I agree with that, you could see the Rangers goal coming. They should have scored a couple before they did.

10 minutes ago, Squirrelhumper said:

Dunno if I agree with that, you could see the Rangers goal coming. They should have scored a couple before they did.

Aberdeen dominated possession in the 2nd half but did little with it. They couldn't get in behind a back 4 that included Tavernier (hopeless), Bates (hopeless) and a young kid at left back. McInnes should be getting his arse handed to him on here instead of whataboutery over songs! ?

Edited by slasher

Guest BlueGaz
49 minutes ago, SMcoolJ said:

I felt really comfortable at half time and although building up to the game I thought we would get beat, by half time I was quietly confident, only worry I had was that we had chances, yet again, and couldn't convert them.

But Aberdeen came out firing 2nd half and although they didn't score, I changed from being comfortable to thinking, we could hang on here for a point.  Then the last 10-15 obviously was what it was.  

41 minutes ago, slasher said:

Aberdeen dominated possession in the 2nd half but did little with it. They couldn't get in behind a back 4 that included Tavernier (hopeless), Bates (hopeless) and a young kid at left back. McInnes should be getting his arse handed to him on here instead of whataboutery over songs! ?

Agree with that also. I know Aberdeen had more of the ball but I only ever thought one team was going to score.

Guest BlueGaz
Just now, Squirrelhumper said:

Agree with that also. I know Aberdeen had more of the ball but I only ever thought one team was going to score.

As a neutral you probably thought that, I was shiting it during that period.

Guest BlueGaz
2 minutes ago, Squirrelhumper said:

Ha, I just thought Aberdeen huffed and puffed but lacks their usual cutting edge.

Funny old game!

I'm not a big fan of Foderingham overall, but his shot stopping can be awesome.  One save in particular kept us in the game.  If they had scored during that period I doubt we would have come back.

6 hours ago, RenfrewBlue said:

So because you can't remember it, it didnt happen? 

Sounds about right for your dodgy logic. I think we've already seen you find that difficult to apply. 

wise up you fool - I just said I didn't recall - Didn' say it didn't happen - although I do have a very good memory - but anyway - prove me otherwise 

& logically it is very apparent you shoudn't cry wolf, if your own support are the worst offenders of offensive behaviour (as recorded in law rather than mope style crying about a song about a tackle - not nice, but didnt see any aberdeen fans being arrested for it - although seen a few rangers fans arrested for their party songs)

20 minutes ago, euan2020 said:

wise up you fool - I just said I didn't recall - Didn' say it didn't happen - although I do have a very good memory - but anyway - prove me otherwise 

& logically it is very apparent you shoudn't cry wolf, if your own support are the worst offenders of offensive behaviour (as recorded in law rather than mope style crying about a song about a tackle - not nice, but didnt see any aberdeen fans being arrested for it - although seen a few rangers fans arrested for their party songs)

There were 5 folk arrested, 1 from Glasgow and 4 from Aberdeen. Could be Huns from Aberdeen I suppose.

28 minutes ago, Squirrelhumper said:

There were 5 folk arrested, 1 from Glasgow and 4 from Aberdeen. Could be Huns from Aberdeen I suppose.

Sadly,it wouldn't be the first time,not that I'm saying it is. 

My guess that at least 2 would've been asc. 

5 hours ago, SMcoolJ said:

However, these big game "performances" are no longer isolated and becoming a real issue for us.  Failure to beat Hibs in the semi will deservedly see us labelled bottlers.

The reason that we rarely win 'big' games is because our 'big' players rarely turn up. 

Take McGinn....175 games for the Dons and in not one 'big' game (against the OF, or at Hampden etc) has he turned up and played well. In not one of these big games has he turned a match, or done something special, or won the game for Aberdeen. He disappears.

The game on Sunday is the reason why I keep on saying Hibs are favourites next week. McGinn will be anonymous and if they can nullify Hayes then we have no plan B.....on top of that, Hibs have a habit of over-performing in important games and we uniformly under-perform. 

Over the course of a season, we're the second best team in the country...of that there's no doubt. But in a one-off, 'big' game ? It's a struggle.

5 hours ago, Dalgety Bay TA said:

http://www.heraldscotland.com/news/12299378.SFA_should_leave_Durrant_alone/

Bit in this Herald link about ID's autobiography mentioning the hate mail sent to his son. Don't have a subscription so can only read the first paragraph or so.

Thanks for taking the time to dig that out and post.

It neither confirms or denies what actually might have happened for me. Raises more questions in my view.

Something like this would be an open goal for the press if true. Surely?

I'm struggling (Doesn't mean it didn't happen RB - I hear you) to understand why the media haven't gone to town with it ahead of every game we've met since. Likewise, that almost no one on here can remember this. After all, it's pretty serious shit / accusation.

It's like a well kept secret. Bizarre in many ways.

9 hours ago, Debian said:

The (;)) IDS song was aired on Sunday.

Okay, fair enough. If you say so.

To prevent you pulling the heid off it anymore, apparently the 3 of them have been arrested and deported.

Meanwhile, all 19332 who attended the game have been labeled kunts by the weegia.

That's inclusive of your kunts too :wave:

6 hours ago, Dalgety Bay TA said:

http://www.heraldscotland.com/news/12299378.SFA_should_leave_Durrant_alone/

Bit in this Herald link about ID's autobiography mentioning the hate mail sent to his son. Don't have a subscription so can only read the first paragraph or so.

There's no name on the 'journalist' who wrote that article. Or whether it was even an article, or an excerpt from a letter sent to The Herald or whatever.

If you read the full piece, it's hardly a neutral, unbiased commentary on the incident. It's vitriolic in its attacks on Simpson, Aberdeen fans, and Aberdeen FC, and as such smacks of the fawning rubbish printed by west coast journalists desperate to please Rangers in the aftermath of the game in 1988. 

Maybe The Herald should have been a bit more condemning of Durrant...maybe publish an article 10 years after he was convicted of being a bigot and racist ?

http://www.heraldscotland.com/news/11929366.Durrant_fined__200_after_disturbance/

Aberdeen have been better over the season as the league table shows. 

But as shite as Rangers are, they're still a better team than Aberdeen. 2 wins to 1 h2h and the first game at pittodrie Rangers should have at least got a point. 

4 minutes ago, GRBear said:

Aberdeen have been better over the season as the league table shows. 

But as shite as Rangers are, they're still a better team than Aberdeen. 2 wins to 1 h2h and the first game at pittodrie Rangers should have at least got a point. 

?

3 hours ago, Rossy said:

There's no name on the 'journalist' who wrote that article. Or whether it was even an article, or an excerpt from a letter sent to The Herald or whatever.

If you read the full piece, it's hardly a neutral, unbiased commentary on the incident. It's vitriolic in its attacks on Simpson, Aberdeen fans, and Aberdeen FC, and as such smacks of the fawning rubbish printed by west coast journalists desperate to please Rangers in the aftermath of the game in 1988. 

Maybe The Herald should have been a bit more condemning of Durrant...maybe publish an article 10 years after he was convicted of being a bigot and racist ?

http://www.heraldscotland.com/news/11929366.Durrant_fined__200_after_disturbance/

I won't bother reading the Herald article and will take your word for it regarding the content but Iain Durrant has generally maintained his counsel on this ancient incident (as far as I know) for years, so what does bringing up a random negative story about him have to do with anything whatsoever? It just comes across as unnecessarily vindictive whataboutery, in my opinion.

8 hours ago, thewolf_1980 said:

I won't bother reading the Herald article and will take your word for it regarding the content but Iain Durrant has generally maintained his counsel on this ancient incident (as far as I know) for years, so what does bringing up a random negative story about him have to do with anything whatsoever? It just comes across as unnecessarily vindictive whataboutery, in my opinion.

Sorry, I wasn't commentating on the tackle or as Durrant as such...I've no real intention of doing that. Let's all agree that it was an awful tackle and that Simpson should have been red carded and served a lengthy suspension.

I was more making a general point on the general tone of the press coverage of this incident over the last 19 years, and especially the coverage in the first 10 years.

The press coverage at the time was frankly horrific and has continued in that vein ever since. Journalists were at the beginning of their 'succulent lamb' fawning over Rangers, Souness and (a few weeks later) David Murray. Rangers were the big story in town and journalists were tripping over themselves with platitudes and favourable stories.

With this tackle, the Scottish press saw a door opening to curry favour with Rangers, and God have they kicked that door in constantly for years.

Can we all also agree that if it had been any other player from any other club (including Celtic), then the press coverage would have been minimal and certainly wouldn't have continued for years afterwards ?

Durrant may have 'maintained his counsel' on this for a few years now, but the press have created a myth around the incident....including exaggerating how good he was, how his 'career ended', and...in the first article....how Aberdeen 'tried to sweep it all under the carpet' (presumably by not sacking Simmie the minute he stepped into the dressing room).

Neil Simpson wasn't the victim of the tackle, but due to the dynamics and vindictiveness of the Scottish press, his career ended that day as much as Durrant's.

If the press coverage hadn't been as rabid, there would have been no Durrant song, and we wouldn't be wasting our time today talking about one tackle from almost 20 years ago....time for everyone to move on.

7 minutes ago, Rossy said:

Sorry, I wasn't commentating on the tackle or as Durrant as such...I've no real intention of doing that. Let's all agree that it was an awful tackle and that Simpson should have been red carded and served a lengthy suspension.

I was more making a general point on the general tone of the press coverage of this incident over the last 19 years, and especially the coverage in the first 10 years.

The press coverage at the time was frankly horrific and has continued in that vein ever since. Journalists were at the beginning of their 'succulent lamb' fawning over Rangers, Souness and (a few weeks later) David Murray. Rangers were the big story in town and journalists were tripping over themselves with platitudes and favourable stories.

With this tackle, the Scottish press saw a door opening to curry favour with Rangers, and God have they kicked that door in constantly for years.

Can we all also agree that if it had been any other player from any other club (including Celtic), then the press coverage would have been minimal and certainly wouldn't have continued for years afterwards ?

Durrant may have 'maintained his counsel' on this for a few years now, but the press have created a myth around the incident....including exaggerating how good he was, how his 'career ended', and...in the first article....how Aberdeen 'tried to sweep it all under the carpet' (presumably by not sacking Simmie the minute he stepped into the dressing room).

Neil Simpson wasn't the victim of the tackle, but due to the dynamics and vindictiveness of the Scottish press, his career ended that day as much as Durrant's.

If the press coverage hadn't been as rabid, there would have been no Durrant song, and we wouldn't be wasting our time today talking about one tackle from almost 20 years ago....time for everyone to move on.

30 years, Rossy.