This Weekends Games - Page 131 - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

This Weekends Games

• Replies 4.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Rossy said:

God, so it is.

And the press are still going on about it... :lol:

It is crazy.

The tackle on John Kennedy was one of the worst that I've seen at a football match. Now that did all but end his playing career as he never played much after that despite years of trying to get himself fit again. 

Guest BlueGaz
1 hour ago, Rossy said:

God, so it is.

And the press are still going on about it... :lol:

I agree with you on the whole subject.  As an aside, if you stop talking about it, will this thread probably not change tact or fade into history?  Just saying, you are guilty of the very thing you are criticising.

Edited by BlueGaz

7 minutes ago, BlueGaz said:

I agree with you on the whole subject.  As an aside, if you stop talking about it, will this thread probably not change tact or fade into history?  Just saying, you are guilty of the very thing you are criticising.

True, although I deliberately didn't get involved in the daftness at the beginning of this discussion....it's too easy in the one-dimensional messageboard world to get sent down a path that you don't mean to go.

I didn't want to be seen to defending Neil Simpson for what was an awful tackle, I just wanted to inject the perspective of how the press created a dynamic to this for many years.

You're right though...my last post on this subject. I would even prefer to talk about how rank we were on Sunday...;)

Edited by Rossy

Guest BlueGaz
1 minute ago, Rossy said:

You're right though...my last post on this subject. I would even prefer to talk about how rank we were on Sunday...;)

I have deliberately been trying to remain diplomatic, but we can go for it. :ok:

2 minutes ago, Rossy said:

I would even prefer to talk about how rank we were on Sunday...;)

What troubled me about Sunday was the reaction to the 1st goal. Not when play restarted but before that. There was a significant delay, about 60 seconds(?) due to the flare being thrown on. What i'd like to have seen in that spell was Jack, Shinnie, Logan, Considine, McLean (the guys who are our "leaders") going to O'Connor and Taylor, talking to them, geeing them up, telling them to forget it and refocus. None of that happened and within 45 seconds of kick off, we were 0-2 down. 

13 minutes ago, Parklife said:

What troubled me about Sunday was the reaction to the 1st goal. Not when play restarted but before that. There was a significant delay, about 60 seconds(?) due to the flare being thrown on. What i'd like to have seen in that spell was Jack, Shinnie, Logan, Considine, McLean (the guys who are our "leaders") going to O'Connor and Taylor, talking to them, geeing them up, telling them to forget it and refocus. None of that happened and within 45 seconds of kick off, we were 0-2 down. 

First goal was just one of these things, and was actually really well taken by Miller.

Second goal was one of these fatal brain farts that we've sadly become used to from Taylor. He'll do 90% of most things well, but when it goes badly, it really goes badly.

Taylor is another one who doesn't have the big game mentality, and as much as God loves a trier, I suspect he'll be gone sooner rather than later.

What was also rather worrying was the response of the stewards to the afore mentioned flare. 

One stood there with a sandbag and did nothing. 

The next stood with a bin and attempted to cover is but shat it. 

Another came over from the other side of the ground with a face mask,sand bag and proceeded to put his gloves onto the wrong hands.

He then threw a sand bag over a flare that was already dead and they all just looked really confused. 

The standards of these clowns have spiralled in intelligence this season,but not in a good way. 

Edited by dandydunn

4 minutes ago, dandydunn said:

What was also rather worrying was the response of the stewards to the afore mentioned flare. 

Another came over from the other side of the ground with a face mask,sand bag and proceeded to put his gloves onto the wrong hands.

He then threw a sand bag over a flare that was already dead and they all just looked really confused. 

The standards of these clowns have spiralled in intelligence this season,but not in a good way. 

Contrast to Joe Lewis who just went and booted it off the pitch :lol: 

Guest BlueGaz
8 minutes ago, dandydunn said:

:lol:

Maybe it was because someone gave him traditional gloves with only 5 fingers?

26 minutes ago, GRBear said:

When will we know post split fixtures?

The SPFL apparently couldn't give a flying f£(k about the other 29 post split fixtures.

Rangers v Celtic 29th April 1230 sky sports.

:ok:

(I'd guess today, according to the thread in anything goes, they are waiting on Sky/bt to finalise tv fixtures)

Edited by sbcmfc

I'd expect them to be out today after the tweets from yesterday.

Wont take long for sky to pick Rangers at Home to Aberdeen and Celtic at home to lift the trophy. Oh and whoever out of them two has to go to tynecastle.

BT will throw in a wee relegation 6 pointer on a Friday night and we'll end up with the bottom 6 all playing at 12:15 on the last Saturday so they can put a game on tv.

I expect Aberdeen to open up with Hearts away, then Rangers away, then Celtic at home. 

We'll get our hardest games first as the SPFL hope that Rangers can catch us. 

19 minutes ago, Donaldo87 said:

Wont take long for sky to pick Rangers at Home to Aberdeen and Celtic at home to lift the trophy. Oh and whoever out of them two has to go to tynecastle.

BT will throw in a wee relegation 6 pointer on a Friday night and we'll end up with the bottom 6 all playing at 12:15 on the last Saturday so they can put a game on tv.

To be fair it would break up the usual

someone v Celtic

soneone v Rangers

Rangers v Celtic

someone v Rangers

Who cares v We're not bothered (Friday 745)

Edited by sbcmfc

11 minutes ago, Donaldo87 said:

True but to give credit to BT they do seem to take a bit more pride in the smaller teams (and the scottish game in general) Would certainly expect them to go after us against Accies or the Highland Derby. 

Yeah, to be fair to BT and dare I say it Chris Sutton, they do pretty good coverage, and actually try and talk the games up.

2 hours ago, sbcmfc said:

The SPFL apparently couldn't give a flying f£(k about the other 29 post split fixtures.

Rangers v Celtic 29th April 1230 sky sports.

:ok:

(I'd guess today, according to the thread in anything goes, they are waiting on Sky/bt to finalise tv fixtures)

Yeah I knew about the big game in the fixture list just wanted to know when we will know the rest so I can plan other stuff. 

Football comes first, even if the wife disagrees.

8 hours ago, PASTA Mick said:

It is crazy.

The tackle on John Kennedy was one of the worst that I've seen at a football match. Now that did all but end his playing career as he never played much after that despite years of trying to get himself fit again. 

Totally agree with you on the tackle on Kennedy. Anywhere else and it's an assault charge. The only very minor bit of justice was that Ganea (?) suffered from a similar challenge not long afterwards, if I remember correctly. 

Probably the most damaging tackle I've ever seen.