Scotland Players In Action 2016/17 - Page 35 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scotland Players In Action 2016/17

ErsatzThistle

On 06/01/2017 at 11:50 PM, ErsatzThistle said:

Should we give Jason Cummings a couple of games up front soon ?

We don't even give Griffith's a go and he's better. Cummings is lazy as fool at times.

On 08/01/2017 at 8:22 AM, vanderark14 said:

It would surprise me if Strachan knew who Ryan Fraser is

? Sadly probably true

On 09/01/2017 at 0:24 PM, kumnio said:

Marshall, Tierney, Robertson, Brown, Fletcher, Burke would walk into the other teams.

Your points bizarre and lop sided.

Tierney and Robertson maybe at a push. Brown and fletcher no chance, not now. Burke has a long way to go.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 9 January 2017 at 6:50 AM, ErsatzThistle said:

Bale, Williams, Clark, Brady, Davies, Coleman and Hoolahan would walk into our starting XI. 

Keep kidding yourself on that we're a sleeping giant. We aren't.

Hutton and Adam back in the team, dear oh dear.

Adam - Morrison - McArthur - Fletcher - Phillips - snodgrass - Robertson - Marshall - Fraser - Boyd - Kingsley all playing in the premiership and doing well add the players in the championship and SPL - point being its not a bad squad play the right system .

2 hours ago, Scout said:

Adam - Morrison - McArthur - Fletcher - Phillips - snodgrass - Robertson - Marshall - Fraser - Boyd - Kingsley all playing in the premiership and doing well add the players in the championship and SPL - point being its not a bad squad play the right system .

Play a lot of Football Manager do you ?

No just trying to be positive where negativity is easy - I have been in the game for a lot of years and I really think the manager could be doing better wasn't that long ago he picked two squads and we played decent opponents and Did well - also think our scouting network could be much better - it's easy to sit back and say we're crap my view is trying and do something about it 

1 hour ago, Scout said:

No just trying to be positive where negativity is easy - I have been in the game for a lot of years and I really think the manager could be doing better wasn't that long ago he picked two squads and we played decent opponents and Did well - also think our scouting network could be much better - it's easy to sit back and say we're crap my view is trying and do something about it 

Yes the manager is not up to the task but with the exception of a few young Scots, the players are a largely mediocre lot.

I and others are not being negative - just realistic. There's only so much happy clapper "our players are underrated" naivety one can take. 

Edited by ErsatzThistle

7 hours ago, ErsatzThistle said:

Yes the manager is not up to the task but with the exception of a few young Scots, the players are a largely mediocre lot.

I and others are not being negative - just realistic. There's only so much happy clapper "our players are underrated" naivety one can take. 

I'm far from a happy clapper but our players are definitely under rated by the media and, most worryingly, by our manager. 

We're really struggling for players at the moment imo.

Keepers are ok, i guess. Gordon's alright, but Marshall's had one clean sheet for Hull all season and that was in the cup. McGregor might be back fit by March.

RB is a disaster area. Hutton's gone. Paterson's out long term. Caddis doesnt play and has been told to find a new club. Bardsley got injured and now cant get a game. Our best option is maybe moving Russell Martin to the side, but he's playing regularly at center back for his club now. The alternative is Anya who's not really a defender.

LB is ok, tho Teirney's gone long term.

CB's a mess. Martin looks like he's needed at fullback. Halney's rotting in the reserves. Berra and Greer are playing regularly, tho the later is coming up on his 87th birthday. I guess we could move Mulgrew in there as he's playing regularly, tho that's as a left back.

Defensive mid is also a worry. Brown could re-retire any moment. Fletcher is washed up. McArthur seems to be a number 10 now. So we're left with... Bannan, McDonald, Shinnie.. hardly known quantities at international level.

Attacking mid and wide seem like we're over-run with options. Burke, Snodgrass, Forrest, Philips, Fraser, Ritchie, McKay, Maloney, Anya, Murphy, Russell.

Upfront is still feeling kind of toothless. Rhodes not playing, Fletcher not scoring, McCormack not scoring, Griffiths game time reduced, Watt forgetting where the goal is, Naismith in and out of a championship lineup and Chris Martin refusing to play, and also being Chris Martin.

The best lineup i can concoct assuming everyone's available is:

Gordon
Martin - Mulgrew - Berra - Robertson
McDonald - Brown (Shinnie if retired)
Snodgrass - Burke - Fraser
Fletcher

Doesn't really fill me with confidence, especially if Brown goes, and it's paper thin. If Brown re-retires and we get injuries to Martin and Berra then I dread to imagine.

Glad Strachan has opted for a friendly before the qualifier as we really need to give some guys experience of playing together. We need as many friendlies as possible, in my opinion, as some positions really need some experience (RB, DM, CB)

3-5-2 pick players that are on form so team can change - football is all about opinions- here's one team providing they are all playing 

Marshall 

fletcher (yes dropped back) - Mulgrew- Tierney

Anya McArthur Armstrong Ritchie Robertson 

Snodgrass Phillips 

subs from 

Gordon - Martin - Wallace -Dorrans-  Morrison- Cairney - Burke - Fraser - Naismith- Adam - Gallagher 

1 hour ago, andyD said:

Keepers are ok, i guess. Gordon's alright, but Marshall's had one clean sheet for Hull all season and that was in the cup. McGregor might be back fit by March.

RB is a disaster area. Hutton's gone. Paterson's out long term. Caddis doesnt play and has been told to find a new club. Bardsley got injured and now cant get a game. Our best option is maybe moving Russell Martin to the side, but he's playing regularly at center back for his club now. The alternative is Anya who's not really a defender.

CB's a mess. Martin looks like he's needed at fullback. Halney's rotting in the reserves. Berra and Greer are playing regularly, tho the later is coming up on his 87th birthday. I guess we could move Mulgrew in there as he's playing regularly, tho that's as a left back.

Defensive mid is also a worry. Brown could re-retire any moment. Fletcher is washed up. McArthur seems to be a number 10 now. So we're left with... Bannan, McDonald, Shinnie.. hardly known quantities at international level.

Attacking mid and wide seem like we're over-run with options. Burke, Snodgrass, Forrest, Philips, Fraser, Ritchie, McKay, Maloney, Anya, Murphy, Russell.

Upfront is still feeling kind of toothless. Rhodes not playing, Fletcher not scoring, McCormack not scoring, Griffiths game time reduced, Watt forgetting where the goal is, Naismith in and out of a championship lineup and Chris Martin refusing to play, and also being Chris Martin.

Gordon
Fletcher

Doesn't really fill me with confidence, especially if Brown goes, and it's paper thin. If Brown re-retires and we get injuries to Martin and Berra then I dread to imagine.

Glad Strachan has opted for a friendly before the qualifier as we really need to give some guys experience of playing together. We need as many friendlies as possible, in my opinion, as some positions really need some experience (RB, DM, CB)

Small point but isn't Tierney back in training?

3 hours ago, andyD said:

Gordon
Fletcher

You've missed ARMSTRONG prob most in form player at moment

Our best team is this - 3-5-2

Marshall

Martin (hopefully souttar) Berra Mulgrew (hopefully Lindsay soon)

Paterson (anya for now) MacArthur Brown Armstrong Robertson (tierney)

Snodgrass

griffiths

this team are fit, hard working, and tough to break down and most important - WILL GIVE ALL

On ‎11‎/‎01‎/‎2017 at 10:51 PM, jamboman said:

Our best team is this - 3-5-2

Marshall

Martin (hopefully souttar) Berra Mulgrew (hopefully Lindsay soon)

Paterson (anya for now) MacArthur Brown Armstrong Robertson (tierney)

Snodgrass

griffiths

this team are fit, hard working, and tough to break down and most important - WILL GIVE ALL

After the England game I'd happily not see Anya called up.

Why is Burke, Phillips, Fraser etc not in the reckoning for that team?

13 hours ago, GHfaeGTA said:

You've missed ARMSTRONG prob most in form player at moment

Good call, so I did. Doesn't help that much tho. We're still threadbare in important places.

Our relatively few friendlies over the last few years (and the decision to play those we do have against the top teams) means we've not much experience beyond the first choice players. We need games to give confidence to the back-up players, I'm thinking Palmer, Love, Kingsley, McDonald, McGinn, Armstrong, Fulton, McKay, Murphy, Russell, Fraser, even Considine, Souttar, Wilson, Anderson. Some of those are fighting for a start, but have no caps. People will balk at some of the others, but like it or not we need reserve players in various positions with a couple of caps so they know what they're coming into should we need them. We can't throw them all in at once tho, so we need a good number of games to play 1 or 2 with the normal first team squad. That'll give the players confidence for when they're called upon and it'll give us fans more confidence in them (hopefully) when that happens as well.

We're not strong in terms of depth. But we need to make sure out depth isn't wildly unprepared for when its needed.

3 hours ago, andyD said:

Good call, so I did. Doesn't help that much tho. We're still threadbare in important places.

Correct.

Put simply, we struggle to score goals and we struggle to stop them.  Classic ingredients for failure.

1 hour ago, scotlad said:

Correct.

Put simply, we struggle to score goals and we struggle to stop them.  Classic ingredients for failure.

Because of our tactics more than our personal. 

We beat Holland at Hampden with a back 5 of Douglas, Naysmith, McNamara, Wilkie & Pressley. While we had Paul Dickov as our main striker. 

We do not have crap players. Yes, they are limited in some areas but no way in hell is Strachan getting anywhere close to the sum of their parts. Having a limited squad and also being poorer than the sum of your parts, now that's a recipe for failure! 

22 minutes ago, Parklife said:

We beat Holland at Hampden with a back 5 of Douglas, Naysmith, McNamara, Wilkie & Pressley. While we had Paul Dickov as our main striker. 

We do not have crap players. Yes, they are limited in some areas but no way in hell is Strachan getting anywhere close to the sum of their parts. Having a limited squad and also being poorer than the sum of your parts, now that's a recipe for failure! 

If you could pluck Douglas, Naysmith, McNamara and Pressley out of time and have them now they'd probably all be in the next squad. McNamara and Pressley might even start.

1 hour ago, andyD said:

If you could pluck Douglas, Naysmith, McNamara and Pressley out of time and have them now they'd probably all be in the next squad. McNamara and Pressley might even start.

Pressley was a joke figure at the time

now he would walk into the team

McNamara would be first pick

1 hour ago, andyD said:

I would'nt even leave Wilkie out of that statement. As much he could be a bombscare at club level I don't really remember him letting us down. He was superb in that game against Holland and in the shambolic away leg he was one of the few players who could hold their head high. 

2 minutes ago, Marky said:

I would'nt even leave Wilkie out of that statement. As much he could be a bombscare at club level I don't really remember him letting us down. He was superb in that game against Holland and in the shambolic away leg he was one of the few players who could hold their head high. 

He was immense in the away victory against Iceland. I remember one particularly spectacular old fashioned slide tackle on Eidur Gudjonson right in front of us.

4 minutes ago, killiefaetheferry said:

He was immense in the away victory against Iceland. I remember one particularly spectacular old fashioned slide tackle on Eidur Gudjonson right in front of us.

would probably get a straight red now

On ‎12‎/‎01‎/‎2017 at 5:19 PM, Parklife said:

This