Squad Announced Tomorrow - Page 3 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Squad Announced Tomorrow

TartanDave

1 hour ago, clarky1606 said:

Fingers crossed its a positive season for Rhodes and he bangs a few goals in to give Strachan a headache - although you get the feeling Barcelona could sign him and Strachan would still play Steven Fletcher first.

but Barcelona would be far more likely to sign Fletcher

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can understand why Rhodes isn't in the squad, he never looks capable of scoring against the 'big' teams. How many Premiership teams did he score against in the cup competitions? I can't think of many if at all. For me Fletcher is the better all round player for us, and to be honest I feel most of the squads for the next campaign will feature him, Naismith, Griffiths and either McCormack or Watt as the striking options.

I can't understand why we persist with Greer? Surely his time has come and we have to start looking at our options for the future. Cooper, Wilson, Souttar? Perhaps convince Caulker (runs for cover) to play for us next campaign?

Next season, hopefully some proper game time for Gauld and Harper. I still think one of them may offer us something a bit different to previous. Fingers crossed...

36 minutes ago, g@un said:

I can understand why Rhodes isn't in the squad, he never looks capable of scoring against the 'big' teams. How many Premiership teams did he score against in the cup competitions? I can't think of many if at all. For me Fletcher is the better all round player for us, and to be honest I feel most of the squads for the next campaign will feature him, Naismith, Griffiths and either McCormack or Watt as the striking options.

I can't understand why we persist with Greer? Surely his time has come and we have to start looking at our options for the future. Cooper, Wilson, Souttar? Perhaps convince Caulker (runs for cover) to play for us next campaign?

Next season, hopefully some proper game time for Gauld and Harper. I still think one of them may offer us something a bit different to previous. Fingers crossed...

Caulker just no! 

6 hours ago, aaid said:

I watched the game and the co-commentator - can't remember who it was - said that playing Nugent up on his own was a tactical move as he would basically do all the hard work and that Rhodes could come on later if required when the game had opened up a bit.  Remember, Boro only needed a draw in this game so it's understandable that they wanted to keep it tight  

Possibly explains why Strachan is reluctant to select him.

Its good that Boro gave gone up as it will give Rhodes an opportunity to prove whether he's the real deal or not. 

cheers

22 hours ago, ErsatzThistle said:

It's ridiculous that you can play a senior international for one country and still be able to switch to another. Once you've made your choice that should be that.

Caulker for Scotland. No fecking way !

Spot on

30 minutes ago, bossman4 said:

That'll be Bannan out the Italy game then and more than likely, McGregor, Robertson, Snoddy and Maloney tomorrow night.

Im fine with Maloney not being there but sucks for the rest really :(

Speaking to a contractor at work today, mentioned he was a Hull supporter, sounded pretty positive about Scottish players there. Said to him I wanted Hull to get promoted so we've got a few more players in the premiership next season. When i mentioned Scotland he told me his mate has just been called up, turns out it's Liam Cooper. Asked him if he was actually Scottish or 'eligible', said it's through grandparents. Apparently Archie Gemmill turned up at his house to help persuade him. 

31 minutes ago, The Black Bra said:

Speaking to a contractor at work today, mentioned he was a Hull supporter, sounded pretty positive about Scottish players there. Said to him I wanted Hull to get promoted so we've got a few more players in the premiership next season. When i mentioned Scotland he told me his mate has just been called up, turns out it's Liam Cooper. Asked him if he was actually Scottish or 'eligible', said it's through grandparents. Apparently Archie Gemmill turned up at his house to help persuade him. 

Liam Cooper played for us at Under 19 level and was in the senior squad just a couple of months ago. Hardly unexpected.

On 12/05/2016 at 11:43 AM, ProudScot said:

Scotland squad:

Goalkeepers

Scott Bain, David Marshall

Defenders

Christophe Berra, Gordon Greer, Grant Hanley, Alan Hutton, Russell Martin, Charlie Mulgrew, Callum Paterson, Lee Wallace

Midfielders

Ikechi Anya, Oliver Burke, Darren Fletcher, James McArthur, John McGinn, Barry McKay, Matt Phillips, Matt Ritchie

Forwards

Steven Fletcher, Chris Martin, Ross McCormack, Steven Naismith

Updated squad.

The decision to play France and Italy is looking more and more mental considering the plan to leave out Celtic, Aberdeen and play-off final players. 

Two spankings await. 

Edited by PASTA Mick

3 hours ago, Paulo2576 said:

Johnny Russell. Mystified by the way strachan has treated him so far. Would have him miles ahead of forrest or ritchie

Yep its mental, I really rate Russell

2 hours ago, ErsatzThistle said:

Warburton has said he was unhappy about Aberdeen and Celtic getting "special treatment" from Strachan and made a veiled hint that he might withdraw both Wallace and Mackay.

Arrogant pwick. 

Posted this the other day, maybe his players should manage as they have been playing at a lower level with a "better" squad and should be fit enough. Its cool though coz I dont mind either not playing, especially wallace

8 hours ago, ErsatzThistle said:

Warburton has said he was unhappy about Aberdeen and Celtic getting "special treatment" from Strachan and made a veiled hint that he might withdraw both Wallace and Mackay.

Arrogant pwick. 

Is it not odd that Strachan would try and help Celtic and Aberdeen in Europe but not Rangers or Hibs? 

5 hours ago, er yir macaroon said:

Is it not odd that Strachan would try and help Celtic and Aberdeen in Europe but not Rangers or Hibs? 

I am sure that whoever wins the cup and is in Europe next season will get the same treatment as Celtic and Aberdeen.

IMO its better to name the 3 players involved in the cup final in the original squad to make them aware they are in his thoughts and plans and then subsequently leave them out later on than completely ignore all 3 and then call up either McGinn or Wallace and Mackay post cup final. Calling them up after the event, after other drop outs, makes it look like they are second choice where as with the squad he has named this time, they clearly aren't. He obviously named Hull, Derby and Sheff Wed players in the original squad too knowing he was going to lose some of them.