EU Referendum - Page 17 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

29 minutes ago, Mee said:

Osborne is going all in with his draft budget. Tories ripped in two now and talks of votes of no confidence. 

The Tories are impoding.

No problem with that, it's simply that they want to take the rest of the country with them. Nicola has it spot on here...

http://www.heraldscotland.com/news/14556787.Nicola_Sturgeon__Leave_campaign_is_an_attempted_coup_by_right_wing_Tories/

9 hours ago, Dave78 said:

Scottish vote prediction seems to be narrowing....

http://www.economist.com/blogs/graphicdetail/2016/06/britain-s-eu-referendum

brexit.jpg

I would treat any "Scottish" polls on the EU referendum with a very big pinch of salt as they will be based on subsamples which could be as low as around 150 people from an overall poll of 2000 people.  I'm not aware of any Scotland only polling using a statistically significant sample.

i'm not saying it's wrong but just that I wouldn't read anything into it.

6 minutes ago, aaid said:

I would treat any "Scottish" polls on the EU referendum with a very big pinch of salt as they will be based on subsamples which could be as low as around 150 people from an overall poll of 2000 people.  I'm not aware of any Scotland only polling using a statistically significant sample.

I agree with what you say about the polls, but I will be surprised if the result is much different in Scotland to what it is in the rest of the UK. We are all being subjected to the same propaganda from both sides.

20 minutes ago, Orraloon said:

I agree with what you say about the polls, but I will be surprised if the result is much different in Scotland to what it is in the rest of the UK. We are all being subjected to the same propaganda from both sides.

You're forgetting that we are an idiot robot cult that does whatever Nicola tells us to.

3 hours ago, Orraloon said:

I disagree there.  The figures for Scotland have generally been well in favour of remain.  However we maybe need to consider the blatant attempts by Osborne and Cameron to annoy Scotland and destroy the remain lead - an utterly keech campaign and has possibly hit a raw nerve here as we have seen it before.  I am voting remain, but I'd almost vote no just to get it right up these pr1cks to let them know my reasons and theirs are poles apart (see what I did there?).

Quite how anyone in the remain camp thought that the same tactic which took them from a 35 point lead down to a 10 point lead in the Scottish referendum was a good idea in an EU referendum which was much closer to start with is beyond me. 

2 minutes ago, biffer said:

Quite how anyone in the remain camp thought that the same tactic which took them from a 35 point lead down to a 10 point lead in the Scottish referendum was a good idea in an EU referendum which was much closer to start with is beyond me. 

Probably because they won and it was that what got them over the line 

The stupidity lies in that they played the card too early meaning that a lot of people are now immunized for the 2 weeks to go ramping it up

I still think it will have the same effect to probably a similar margin

7 hours ago, aaid said:

We will vote to remain, I am pretty certain of that, however, you only have to have been on this message board regularly over the last 18 months or so to have seen an increase in right wing rhetoric in scottish society. Although wishing to leave the EU is not a predominantly right wing trait (some lefties are all for it), most of those pushing for it are right wing, i'm alright Jack types and I have seen and heard more of these types of people coming out of the woodwork in Scotland than at anytime previously in my life.

Since the referendum, the stigma of being vocally right wing has been partially lifted and I am pretty certain that leave will push remain closer than people think up here.

Once you open those constraints on nationalism then it's very difficult to stop the basic of all emotions. Nationalism promises all things to all men (and women). Flags, bogeyman (immigration) and a golden future. The holy trinity of madness.

6 hours ago, scotlad said:

We have no need for that here in the land of chocolate. 

Taking it too far ...

10 hours ago, biffer said:

A complacent belief that because the big knobs leading the Leave campaign really are a huge bunch of cocks the 'silent majority' would vote against them rather than independently think that maybe the EU isn't fit for purpose?

Whatever the case, there's certainly been massive complacency and, as Rossy says, it's effectively destroyed the current version of the Conservative party. It's remarkable that this outcome wasn't predicted (regardless of the result). I can't see Osbourne surviving this, and Cameron will be lucky to get passed the next Tory conference even if there's a vote to Remain. Every cloud ...

I think Scotland will vote to remain, as will the rest of the UK, but I think Scotlands vote will be a lot closer than what some people assume. I've seen a lot of soft remains declaring their intention to vote Leave in the last couple of days, thankfully none of them for immigration reasons, but some not for particularly solid reasons either. It highlights the issue with referendum for such decisions as some will use it to express discontent with the status quo while not being fully committed to the alternative.

11 hours ago, DonnyTJS said:

Taking it too far ...

A complacent belief that because the big knobs leading the Leave campaign really are a huge bunch of cocks the 'silent majority' would vote against them rather than independently think that maybe the EU isn't fit for purpose?

Whatever the case, there's certainly been massive complacency and, as Rossy says, it's effectively destroyed the current version of the Conservative party. It's remarkable that this outcome wasn't predicted (regardless of the result). I can't see Osbourne surviving this, and Cameron will be lucky to get passed the next Tory conference even if there's a vote to Remain. Every cloud ...

Remain seem to have modelled themselves on the Better Together campaign.  The difference is, Better Together started with a much stronger lead than Remain had at the start of this campaign.  Although scare tactics have some traction, Better Together's lead gradually evaporated over time.  The same thing appears to be happening here.

If the Leave campaign wasn't equally as obnoxious as their opponents I think they would be streets ahead by now.