Celtic And Rangers Playing In England (Again) - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Celtic And Rangers Playing In England (Again)

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

In 2003 I was working in Greenock (yeah, I know it was a bad period in my life :wink2: ) and a particularly rabid Celtic supporter would argue with me all day that Celtic and Rangers would be in the EPL within 10 years.

"Sky would demand it, due to the massive OF crowds and fan base" was his only argument. Aye, right.

In 2003 I was working in Greenock (yeah, I know it was a bad period in my life :wink2: ) and a particularly rabid Celtic supporter would argue with me all day that Celtic and Rangers would be in the EPL within 10 years.

"Sky would demand it, due to the massive OF crowds and fan base" was his only argument. Aye, right.

Sounds like a colleague of mine, who occasionally dribbles on about Celtic going to play in some Super Dooper Pan-European League, the concept of which only appears to exist in his imagination.

Sounds like a colleague of mine, who occasionally dribbles on about Celtic going to play in some Super Dooper Pan-European League, the concept of which only appears to exist in his imagination.

That's the one I mentioned earlier.

The Famous are going to that,no room for hangers on I'm afraid.

The time for it was 15-20 years ago when Laudrup and Larsson were strutting their stuff

Can you imagine how Celtic never mind Rangers would get on results wise in the EPL or a British League ?

It would take years and hundreds of millions to build squads that could compete and there is no guarantee that they would unless they are taken over by billionaires from the East

I suppose the argument would be that both clubs would get the £50 million or so a season TV money that the English clubs currently enjoy but those clubs are getting that now and will do for season after season before the Old Firm join in and therefore they would be playing catch up for eternity

It would just be another Sunderland or Newcastle

The time for it was 15-20 years ago when Laudrup and Larsson were strutting their stuff

Can you imagine how Celtic never mind Rangers would get on results wise in the EPL or a British League ?

It would take years and hundreds of millions to build squads that could compete and there is no guarantee that they would unless they are taken over by billionaires from the East

I suppose the argument would be that both clubs would get the £50 million or so a season TV money that the English clubs currently enjoy but those clubs are getting that now and will do for season after season before the Old Firm join in and therefore they would be playing catch up for eternity

It would just be another Sunderland or Newcastle

That's a very good point. I used to think that if the Old Firm joined the Premiership, then they would be maybe struggle for a couple of years but once they got settled in they would start to challenge at the top end, primarily due to the increased TV revenue and also the attendances.

If you look at how the English Premiership has gone in the last ten years then of all the revenue streams, attendances have become less and less significant compared to TV and billionaire owners.

The parallel with Newcastle and Sunderland is really apt. Those are two complete basket cases of clubs at the moment but one thing they share with every club in England with the exception of Arsenal, Chelsea, Man Utd and Man City is the ability to attract the highest quality of players, especially from abroad - let's be honest, that's where the best players are from.

Players want - probably in this order - the money, to play in the Champions League, to win things and if possible, to live in London.

You can use the argument about playing in front of 50 thousand passionate fans every other week but that's what Newcastle and Sunderland get and that doesn't seem to be working for them.

Celtic - and Dermot Desmond - would make more money, but for Celtic fans, you can forget about winning anything other than the odd cup every ten or so years, forget about Europe apart from the occasional entry in the Europa league.

Currently, Rangers would be relegated in season one, probably with a record number of low points.

I honestly thought no one would be stupid enough to bring this one back up again.

Dermot Desmond obviously woke up on the thick side of his bed the other day......

I agree I couldn't understand why he was bringing this nonsense up again, well unless he thinks he can increase his dividend payments by moving. However I think if it happened it would be after the big clubs in England had f*cked off to join a European league.

Shame for the Old Firm that the Premier League don't want them. They voted 20-0 over a decade ago and their TV deal is on another planet now, no incentive for them to vote the Old Firm in now.