Labour Leadership - Page 16 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Labour Leadership

• Replies 499
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

aye - the alternative of having Corbyn or those nice Oxbridge chaps running it sounds much safer - after all where did they ever go wrong before...

Personally, John McDonnell's approach to economics is more up my street than the tamer approach espoused by John Swinney.

Even so, I would ultimately prefer Scotland to have the power to chose its own government.

Wonder where Corbyn and McDonnell stand on this ? Fair play to them if they agree with it. I'd respect them for that. Blair and Brown always dodged the issue when it came up.

http://metro.co.uk/2015/09/29/britain-owes-us-billions-of-pounds-in-reparations-for-slavery-jamaica-tells-david-cameron-5413110/

Personally, I think the UK does owe these countries reparations. Not proud of Glasgow's part in the whole disgraceful business. Never understood why they never re-named the likes of Jamaica Street, Virginia Street, St Vincent Street and those named after the slave merchants such as Glassford Street.

The resident lunatic right wingers on here will explode in 5, 4, 3 .............

is it true Labour have voted not to nationalise the energy sector and backing austerity ... if true along with the renewal of Trident he has less support than I thought he had ... a lot of those people that voted for Corbyn will be very angry if this is all true

is it true Labour have voted not to nationalise the energy sector and backing austerity ... if true along with the renewal of Trident he has less support than I thought he had ... a lot of those people that voted for Corbyn will be very angry if this is all true

Corbyn has affirmed his personal position. To make this party policy he needs to ensure the new members have a say in creating policy. I think you will see this happening at future conferences. Corbyn wants policies to be decided at conferences .This will bring him into conflict with a lot of MP's.

Edited by EddardStark

Corbyn in the press today saying he wouldn't use Trident if he was Pm.

Ok,that's fine but doesn't it make you look like an utter fanny by supporting the spunking of millions of pounds on buying something you're going to keep in the wrapper?

Honest to God! This guy is every bit as monumentally stupid as Jim Murphy.

Corbyn in the press today saying he wouldn't use Trident if he was Pm.

Ok,that's fine but doesn't it make you look like an utter fanny by supporting the spunking of millions of pounds on buying something you're going to keep in the wrapper?

Where is he supporting the renewal of Trident?

Exactly. :ok:

However, final decision is going to come from his defence "review". Notice he has also gave the caveat that he will ensure we meet all our NATO committments, that leaves open the door for some kind of committment to nukes. (potentially UK hosting US missiles).

However, final decision is going to come from his defence "review". Notice he has also gave the caveat that he will ensure we meet all our NATO committments, that leaves open the door for some kind of committment to nukes. (potentially UK hosting US missiles).

The final decision of whether he is opposed to them or not has been made. He's opposed to them.

The party policy may not match his. It is a democracy, after all...

I love the guy's politics and if he looks set to deliver on them I'll probably vote for him. However, can't help but feel like he's leaving himself wiggle room to get out of stuff like opposing trident renewal. Hope I'm wrong.

unless you are in Islington you arent voting for him, you are voting for the Labour party. Obvious at this stage that the two are miles apart on a number of important issues.

Obvious at this stage that the two are miles apart on a number of important issues.

What %age of the Labour party membership voted for him? I'd say his massive victory suggests the Labour Party are very much in line with Corbyn. The parliamentary Labour party may not be but the membership is.

What %age of the Labour party membership voted for him? I'd say his massive victory suggests the Labour Party are very much in line with Corbyn. The parliamentary Labour party may not be but the membership is.

I think one of his problems, at the moment, is that the members who voted him in, are not the same folk who decide Labour party policy. He might need to change that if he wants to implement his policies. He has got plenty time to sort that out though. It would be daft for him to try and rush it.

He said he would not fire a nuclear weapon.

Maria Eagle MP says his words were 'unhelpful'.

Jesus wept.

Exactly. It's now unhelpful to be honest and say you wouldn't press the button to fry potentially millions of people?

I'm extremely disappointed at the Unions too saying that nuclear weapons keeps people in a job. I'm pretty sure we could create a lot more socially beneficial jobs with £100 billion rather than building and maintaining weapons.