Refugee Crisis - Page 5 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Refugee Crisis

I don't think anyone is advocating mass uncontrolled immigration. Something more than a total block is all that's needed.

The problem seems to be that people fear these strangers because they might upset their nice little lives with their cars and homes and food waste. It's the "I'm alright jack" thing again.

That's fine though, the UK can stick to their cop out 'long term approach' but id quite like France and Spain to put a block on UK 'migration' to their sunny regions.

• Replies 907
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have to say I agree with the idea of holding camps, although there has to be a better name for them, and try and process them to find the genuine refugees from the migrants. The biggest worry about that though is how long would it take before migrants work out what they need to say to be classed as a refugee. No matter what way you look at it the situation is a total mess and I don't see any quick or easy fix to it.

On a side note why do the French insist the refugee\migrant camps is the UK's problem and that we should be stopping them trying to get on trucks or through the tunnel? Surely as its French soil they should be policing the area and building fences etc. Also hate the way UK trucker are being fined if anyone is found in there truck even when it's the trucker that reports it. These guys and companies have spend loads trying to make the trucks secure but they still get the blame as if the put the folk in the truck. Makes me think that truckers might start there own vigilante groups and take the law into there own hands

The problem seems to be that people fear these strangers because they might upset their nice little lives with their cars and homes and food waste. It's the "I'm alright jack" thing again.

I'm not sure that's true.

I'd reckon most are happy that their countries do their best for genuine refugees fleeing war.

I've been very critical of the communication, tone and language that has come out from the UK Government on this crisis but I think we need to recognise that there are a lot of unanswered questions and there is no easy fix. I think most reasonable people would want policy to fall in the middle ground with every country doing their fair share but as others have said - how do you facilitate it in a considered manner? It's a huge challenge for governments and they simply need to find answers.

Others may have raised these points and many are being shot down but these points do need serious consideration:

- After fleeing their own country, why are the refugees progressing from (relative) safety of Turkey, Greece, Hungary, etc. to other regions of the EU? The process simply can't be allowed to flow uncontrolled in the EU - there needs to be registration and distribution that can't simply be handpicking what is perceived to be the most desirable location. I have honestly no idea to what extent Turkey is supporting these refugees but I imagine it is supporting their existence as much as anything else and not allowing for much of a life. They have 1.5m refugees so it's no surprise that many are heading in the direction of the EU - especially if they are simply being held in refugee camps, etc. Sadly, it hadn't even dawned on me that so many of these people are making the journey from Turkey as opposed to directly escaping from Syria, etc.

- How do we support an influx/integration refugees without further encouraging economic migration which is putting so many lives at risk? We can't simply ignore that economic migration is part of this. There's also no passports/papers for the vast majority of people so how do we validate who is coming from Syria/Turkey/Eritrea/etc.? There is a real danger to being seen as an open gateway and this goes beyond selfishness of EU states but the dangers of the journey and risks that these people are taking on.

- What are the rich Arab / Gulf states such as Saudi doing to support? If they are not doing much then they should be lobbied to do so.

- Same as above for USA. They are the prime culprit for destablising the entire region. They might not have to worry about borders with these countries but they sure as hell should be supporting. Financially and otherwise.

- What would/should governments do with 'economic migrants'? If people were to suggest that they should be sent 'back' - where do they get sent back to? Italy, Greece, Serbia, Turkey, Syria? (can we realistically send people back to a war-zone?).

I sure as hell don't know what the answers are but it's for the governments to work out. Who knows what the reasoned middle ground is as it is far from simple.

Governments have to be careful about letting anyone in else there will be a real crisis when hundreds of thousands of the s start arriving, every one expecting you to bend over backwards to accomodate them. Then the locals start to get pissed off at the preferential treatment they would seem to get and the extra burden they put on services.

then the geniune migrants and asylum seekers, who should be looked after, would demand to be let in and resettled.

Its all a huge cluster####. them.

I'm glad that the UK is offering a safe haven to those Syrian refugees who are living in genuine danger and poverty in camps in Lebanon and the like.....rather than offering to take in the immigrants...not refugees....who have ignored the safe havens of Greece, Turkey, Macedonia and Hungary etc, and are demanding a better life in Austria and Germany.

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2015/sep/04/hundreds-refugees-march-austria-budapest-hungary-syrians

What are they meant to do with thousands of folk just walking up the motorway. How did countries defend borders before?

Probably with guns I'm guessing but now we're living in an age where people are willing to push their human rights card (i.e. The border guards aren't going to shoot us) and know they can get away with it. There was outrage in an article I read that the border of Hungary/Serbia had sprayed pepper spray to keep people from crossing.

People have rights absolutely but should also have respect for the authorities. In refusing to register in Hungary etc like we've seen this last few days, their case/cause loses a bit of value. There's bound to be people communicating with them and explaining the process, reasoning, etc. but it's going ignored.

There's bound to be people communicating with them and explaining the process, reasoning, etc. but it's going ignored.

The rules are a bit daft, if any of them have registered in Hungary German can and has said it will send them right back to there which is why they refused to get off the train to go to the precessing camp.

But if they walk a couple of hundred miles they register in Germany and get to stay there.

I'm glad that the UK is offering a safe haven to those Syrian refugees who are living in genuine danger and poverty in camps in Lebanon and the like.....rather than offering to take in the immigrants...not refugees....who have ignored the safe havens of Greece, Turkey, Macedonia and Hungary etc, and are demanding a better life in Austria and Germany.

The safe havens of places were they are not welcome. Are people not entitled to demand a better life? Should they just accept their lot In Greece were the economy is in tatters? Or Turkey were they, as kurds, will be persecuted and Macedonia and Hungary were they are not wanted. Your patter on this is wild. Is it you that owns that Union Jack Aberdeen flag? It is isn't it?

Are people not entitled to demand a better life?

What does this mean? There are alot of people on the world and 99% live in a place worse than Scotland.

Are you suggesting that anyone that can make it here should be allowed to settle for a better life.

It would take long till out country would be alot poorer and in civil war too.

Edited by Mee

The safe havens of places were they are not welcome. Are people not entitled to demand a better life? Should they just accept their lot In Greece were the economy is in tatters? Or Turkey were they, as kurds, will be persecuted and Macedonia and Hungary were they are not wanted. Your patter on this is wild. Is it you that owns that Union Jack Aberdeen flag? It is isn't it?

Fuxsake.

You're a lunatic.

What does this mean? There are alot of people on the world and 99% live in a place worse than Scotland.

Are you suggesting that anyone that can make it here should be allowed to settle for a better life.

It would take long till out country would be alot poorer and in civil war too.

That's some jump from letting in refugees to full out civil war! Can you back this up with anything?

Germany is expecting 800,000 refugees. Will there be civil war in Germany?

Some amount of nonsense from certain people in this thread.

Some amount of nonsense from certain people in this thread.

Most of it coming from those who say that because people 'demand a better life', western Europe is responsible for giving it to them.

We're morally obliged to offer shelter and a safe place to genuine refugees. We're not morally obliged to 'give' a better life to migrants who fancy Germany more than Greece because it has a more stable economy.