Refugee Crisis - Page 3 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Refugee Crisis

• Replies 907
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They wouldn't get on our news if they didn't speak English. The vast majority know zero English.

They'll probably all have at least a little bit of English. Certainly a lot more than your level of Arab/Farsi/Any other language. It kind of cheeses me off when Brits look down on foreigners for not having a good level of English.

Hope everyone expressing outrage at this has done something to try and help other than moan on the internet. For the cost a few pints the UNHCR can buy a pack containing dry clothing, water, towels etc for example.

Aye; you need to check the thread ; how much spent following Scotland to see if anyone double dipping

This is horrendous. I honestly have no idea what the west should do.

On one hand, we can't turn our back on people desperately needing help. But on the other, we cannot (IMHO) simply reward immigrants who feel that Europe owes them a better life.

The pictures from Hungary are distressing, but I just can't bring myself to have a great deal of sympathy for those who are DEMANDING that they get taken to Austria and Germany, because they feel that they have a better chance of getting money and jobs there.

We have to do our best for genuine refugees, but we simply can't have an open door policy. That would be disastrous.

But on the other, we cannot (IMHO) simply reward immigrants who feel that Europe owes them a better life.

I doubt any of them feel Europe owes them anything. I just think they want to live in a place, any place, where the daily chance of death is probably not an even money shot. Would that life be better than what they had in Syria? Undoubtedly. For one thing there is less chance of getting blown up or shot standing outside a train station in Budapest. That alone means they have a "better" life already. I also doubt any of them are really thinking about getting money/benefits or jobs at this exact moment, they are probably just thinking about surviving and staying alive. Not all of them are even able to do that.

Hope everyone expressing outrage at this has done something to try and help other than moan on the internet. For the cost a few pints the UNHCR can buy a pack containing dry clothing, water, towels etc for example.

Had never heard of them! Was wondering how I could help out, donated a wee bit there. Not an extravagant amount but it all helps! Thanks.

That photo is one of the saddest images I have ever seen.

An Italian guy I work with owns a holiday home in Lampedusa, the small island between Italy and Libya.

He told me that bodies have washed up on the beaches there week after week for years...decades....now. Women, kids, time after time again.

This one photo is distressing, but this has been going on many, many years. The difference is that the media have simply ignored it.

Have a look at how many Sweden have taken in proportion to their population and you'll find that yes, it's pretty fecking bad in the U.K.

Instead of having a dig could you not post the numbers as I don't know them. I was asking what they were and taking a guess at how they look

I doubt any of them feel Europe owes them anything. I just think they want to live in a place, any place, where the daily chance of death is probably not an even money shot. Would that life be better than what they had in Syria? Undoubtedly. For one thing there is less chance of getting blown up or shot standing outside a train station in Budapest. That alone means they have a "better" life already. I also doubt any of them are really thinking about getting money/benefits or jobs at this exact moment, they are probably just thinking about surviving and staying alive. Not all of them are even able to do that.

They're in the station in Hungary, chanting 'Germany, Germany' and refusing to go to a registration camp in Hungary.

This doesn't seem to me like people who are simply happy to be safe.

They'll probably all have at least a little bit of English. Certainly a lot more than your level of Arab/Farsi/Any other language. It kind of cheeses me off when Brits look down on foreigners for not having a good level of English.

Who the fk is looking down on them and why would you compare it to my 2nd language skills. Too many on here see any opinion as anti immigration.

Read the statement again and my response. He stated the people the English reporter spoke to had a decent grasp of the English language. That is something I agreed with. However, if he spoke to most others, they wouldn't speak a word of our language.

Nothing racist, nothing anti immigration.

This is horrendous. I honestly have no idea what the west should do.

On one hand, we can't turn our back on people desperately needing help. But on the other, we cannot (IMHO) simply reward immigrants who feel that Europe owes them a better life.

The pictures from Hungary are distressing, but I just can't bring myself to have a great deal of sympathy for those who are DEMANDING that they get taken to Austria and Germany, because they feel that they have a better chance of getting money and jobs there.

We have to do our best for genuine refugees, but we simply can't have an open door policy. That would be disastrous.

So you are saying that some should be sent back, to their inevitable death? And btw, if there is one continent that owes them something, it's this one. Britain, France and the US have pillaged and brought terror to Iraq, Afghanistan and Syria for decades, we have forced them to come here and we should accept each and every single one.

There are around 1 million refugees in a continent of 500 million, there is plenty of space.

So you are saying that some should be sent back, to their inevitable death? And btw, if there is one continent that owes them something, it's this one. Britain, France and the US have pillaged and brought terror to Iraq, Afghanistan and Syria for decades, we have forced them to come here and we should accept each and every single one.

There are around 1 million refugees in a continent of 500 million, there is plenty of space.

I never said or implied anything of the sort.

I disagree completely that we should have an open door policy though.

They're in the station in Hungary, chanting 'Germany, Germany' and refusing to go to a registration camp in Hungary.

Possibly because they already have train tickets for Germany? I am sure if I had a train ticket for Germany and wasn't allowed to go there I would be a wee bit peeved too. And maybe chant a bit about it.

Maybe this is why

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/projects/cp/reporters-notebook/migrants/hungary-refugees-pepper-spray?smid=tw-nytimesworld&smtyp=cur

Watching news footage of refugees in Hungary being taken on a train for 45 minutes - with some stating they were at last going to Germany - I couldn't help but have a shudder when I saw what was waiting for them on the platform at their stop... armed guards.

I didn't like the scenario (i felt sick, really) but I can't blame the Hungarians for doing much of what they are having to do.

Now, I'm also of the opinion that an 'open door policy' for everyone that wants to head west ... imagine having that with regards your home or property!!! - but the registration of travellers must be improved on if this problem is to be adressed in any way.

Where are the oil-rich states, and their, in most cases, despotic rulers, when they are needed - living the high life in Monte Carlo, Florida or cruising the Med in $billion gin palaces, that's where.

It's a world problem, not just a third-world problem and no fuqqer (with any real poloitical will or power) seems genuinely interested in solving it.

The MEN is running a poll as to whether 'we' should welcome refugees. I'm disappointed that a city with a great record of historically welcoming thousands escaping persecution, is veering towards the response of 'we've done our bit - leave 'em to it'.

Edited by Wibble

Possibly because they already have train tickets for Germany? I am sure if I had a train ticket for Germany and wasn't allowed to go there I would be a wee bit peeved too. And maybe chant a bit about it.

Are saying ALL of them have train tickets to Germany ? How do you know that ?

Anyway, that's irrelevant to the point that Hungary...their first stop in the EU....is safe and relatively prosperous.

It would seem obvious that many of these 'refugees' are not actually 'refugees', desperate (understandably) for safety. They're demanding to be allowed into more prosperous western Europe.

Does Europe have a moral obligation to care for genuine refugees fleeing war ? Yes, of course.

Does Europe have a moral obligation to care for people who simply want the 'better life' that they feel the nirvana of western Europe offers ? No, I don't believe it does.

Are saying ALL of them have train tickets to Germany ? How do you know that ?

Anyway, that's irrelevant to the point that Hungary...their first stop in the EU....is safe and relatively prosperous.

It would seem obvious that many of these 'refugees' are not actually 'refugees', desperate (understandably) for safety. They're demanding to be allowed into more prosperous western Europe.

Does Europe have a moral obligation to care for genuine refugees fleeing war ? Yes, of course.

Does Europe have a moral obligation to care for people who simply want the 'better life' that they feel the nirvana of western Europe offers ? No, I don't believe it does.

(Historically) doesn't happen too often :D but I agree with all of the above.