England 2018 - Page 4 - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Rubbish bribes

England played the game in 2018, watches, friendlies, Beckman and the royal family. Just a shame Russia just used money, and a lot of it.

I would be surprised if this isn't investigated very shortly in the UK under the Bribery Act. The Bribery Act does not give the same guidelines as FCPA (US version) for "gifts", but I seem to recall the figure for gifts under FCPA should be no more than US$100. Admittedly this is more for government officials but suspect you could apply the same in this scenario and the figure of around £100 for Bribery Act purposes. I assume the watches retailed at more than £100.......

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

lol @ the english whoring themselves over this. Apparently they're willing and able to host the world cup in 2022 if asked.

aye, and i'm willing and able to take my time machine back to 1977 and have an all night drink and drug fuelled threesome with Debbie Harry and Stevie Nicks.......if asked

I would be surprised if this isn't investigated very shortly in the UK under the Bribery Act. The Bribery Act does not give the same guidelines as FCPA (US version) for "gifts", but I seem to recall the figure for gifts under FCPA should be no more than US$100. Admittedly this is more for government officials but suspect you could apply the same in this scenario and the figure of around £100 for Bribery Act purposes. I assume the watches retailed at more than £100.......

A159WGEA-1EFfw800fh800.png

Retail for £19.99 so they might be okay. The FA still can't believe it didn't work.

I'd just like to ask those using the number of deaths on building sites in Qatar as their reasoning for stripping Qatar of the 2022 tourney if they have really thought it through. If you have, which of these conclusions did you come to regarding the fate and future of those 'bonded slaves' still alive?

So, let's assume Qatar is stripped of WC 2022 and work on all the WC stadia and related infrastructure comes to an immediate halt (well, it's not needed any more, is it?)

1) The construction companies that have treated these desperate immigrants as 5hite for so long, confiscated their passports, and 'paid' them wages barely enough to live on would suddenly hand them their passports back along with a nice severance pay cheque and their airfare home with the their thanks and best wishes ringing in their ears

or

2) Abandon them with no money, no passports, no job, no means of exiting Qatar and no way to get home. Then what...?

Edited by Khana Lagur

Iran mobilising a lot of military as we speak, i'm seriously thinking Qatar won't be a safe place for the world cup in 2022. Russia also has border problems and political turmoil which is intensifying, 3 years is a long time in politics. 7 even longer.

I believe FIFA needs a total overhaul as does the bidding process. This is how I'd run the bidding process.

Countries at present up to scratch stadia wise go onto a host list and at present I'd guess that would be France, Italy, Spain, Germany, England, USA, Brazil, Mexico, Japan and South Africa. Any countries wishing to achieve that status they have to work on their infra-structure. None of this pish like we have had where countries put in a bid with virtual reality stadia that have yet to be built. Those on the list are then to host World Cups - the order to be worked out by a basic draw. Other countries wishing to join that list does so after applying for a spot on that list and only if stadiums already exist and infrastructure is adequate.

I believe FIFA needs a total overhaul as does the bidding process. This is how I'd run the bidding process.

Countries at present up to scratch stadia wise go onto a host list and at present I'd guess that would be France, Italy, Spain, Germany, England, USA, Brazil, Mexico, Japan and South Africa.

Russia would also clearly be on the list.

China currently have over 50 stadiums with 30,000 plus capacity!

Throw in Canada, Australia, Argentina plus all recent hosts of the Euros as potential joint bidders: Poland/Ukraine, Switzerland/Austria, Portugal, Holland/Belgium and the list gets a bit more extensive...

North Korea ,that wid sort oot the headhunters !

In fact the fa could pay for new passports for them instead o taken them off them.

Shot in the street for chuckin a can etc.

Howls of indignation and human rights activists exploding

In Trafalgar square.

Russia would also clearly be on the list.

China currently have over 50 stadiums with 30,000 plus capacity!

Throw in Canada, Australia, Argentina plus all recent hosts of the Euros as potential joint bidders: Poland/Ukraine, Switzerland/Austria, Portugal, Holland/Belgium and the list gets a bit more extensive...

Yes but do Russia currently have all stadia built? And it is questionable that Argentina, Canada and Australia currently meet the criteria. The joint bidders you list are at the required level perhaps for Euros but not World Cups and would need to get acceptance on that list. At least this system ensures the countries are up to it and they are not just being awarded it on the say so that everything will be built as that is no guarantee PLUS it rules out bribes to influence decisions.

It's up to you if you want to conflate two entirely different concepts.

You're "advocating" as one possibility letting some folk die to maintain the payments to the rest. Which is the economy around retaining a firing squad in the context of keeping people employed while letting people die.

You also introduced a false binary choice.

Edited by phart

Yes but do Russia currently have all stadia built? And it is questionable that Argentina, Canada and Australia currently meet the criteria.

Not sure how good a nick the stadiums are in but they have capacity to host it without any of the new builds...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_football_stadiums_in_Russia

Canada might need to build some additional stadiums (no problem affording it there though) but Argentina and Australia have more than enough capacity as it stands...

Not sure how good a nick the stadiums are in but they have capacity to host it without any of the new builds...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_football_stadiums_in_Russia

Winter Olympic Stadium in Sochi has gone into a major state of disrepair (Futbolgrad posted some photos while back and I thought it was photos from Chernobyl or something).

Zenit stadium in St Petersburg is not finished yet and has gone majorly over budget.

Be interesting to see what happens with the stadiums in Kaliningrad and Volgograd (Baltika play in Russian 2nd division and Vologograd does not have a major team and team planning to move in play in lowly amateur leagues).

I'd just like to ask those using the number of deaths on building sites in Qatar as their reasoning for stripping Qatar of the 2022 tourney if they have really thought it through. If you have, which of these conclusions did you come to regarding the fate and future of those 'bonded slaves' still alive?

So, let's assume Qatar is stripped of WC 2022 and work on all the WC stadia and related infrastructure comes to an immediate halt (well, it's not needed any more, is it?)

1) The construction companies that have treated these desperate immigrants as 5hite for so long, confiscated their passports, and 'paid' them wages barely enough to live on would suddenly hand them their passports back along with a nice severance pay cheque and their airfare home with the their thanks and best wishes ringing in their ears

or

2) Abandon them with no money, no passports, no job, no means of exiting Qatar and no way to get home. Then what...?

Do you think after the stadiums are finished the construction workers will get a severance or will they be abandoned?

As someone who would go to a world cup I think qatar would be a disaster for supporters. How the hell are they going to get so many fans in the place, as well as going about their usual business? Maybe we can get a billet in the workers camps. I'd imagine the hotel cost will be huge and put off most from going.

what are you going to do between games, go to camel racing? There will be a lot of thirsty guys there too and the culture shock for the locals might be too much, if they are allowed to actually see foreigners. Added security nightmares and it's a cluster#### waiting to happen.

Would supporters even be allowed to freely move about the place? What would happen on a friday afternoon when prayers are on?

It was a disgrace they were awarded it in the first place and I couldn't care who gets it, just not qatar. Dare say it's a reasonable place (for some) to do some business, but a 4 week World cup at any time of the year. ffs.

World Cups (for me) should be dedicated to football-obsessed countries and Qatar isn't one and neither was South Africa. The current bidding process is a fiasco as all that is put forward are virtual reality stadiums - stadiums that are only getting built to ensure they get the tournament. Not stadiums there already built for club football - if you see what I mean. If the country does not have the infrastructure there it shouldn't be even close to hosting it. Let countries get the World Cup that has the stadia, the love of football, the transport systems and the supporters to fill the stadia. That is why I'd have that list of countries I mentioned - akin to the rotating Open Golf Championship courses we have.

World Cups (for me) should be dedicated to football-obsessed countries and Qatar isn't one and neither was South Africa. The current bidding process is a fiasco as all that is put forward are virtual reality stadiums - stadiums that are only getting built to ensure they get the tournament. Not stadiums there already built for club football - if you see what I mean. If the country does not have the infrastructure there it shouldn't be even close to hosting it. Let countries get the World Cup that has the stadia, the love of football, the transport systems and the supporters to fill the stadia. That is why I'd have that list of countries I mentioned - akin to the rotating Open Golf Championship courses we have.

Africa as a whole is Football Obsessed, South Africa, is as well, its just the media and the 'white middle classes' who follow cricket and rugby..

They will become a major player soon i think...

I believe it was a great idea to have the world cup in Africa, and i think having it in Asia is also a good idea,, Should have mibee gone to India

Qatar is a poo, poorr decision .. although I read part of the bid was that all the Stadia , bar one, were to be dismantled and moved to Other Countries..

Football can be a major force for good and 'wee' countries and areas not football obsessed can benefit.. South Korea/Japan.. South Africa . USA..

Has the Rugby World or cricket cup ever been held in a wee country or 'non' popular region.,.

or even the Olympics...

Edited by stocky

I think if the russians pulled out of ukraine their sanctions would be lifted and they would then be able to get any stadiums sorted in time for the 2018 world cup.If they dont pull out of ukraine and they still get the world cup then football fans around the world should boycott the place.No one would then go to the games as the russian people wouldnt be able to afford the tickets unless they are handed out for free.Empty stadiums.

Edited by HIGHTOWER 1314

Africa as a whole is Football Obsessed, South Africa, is as well, its just the media and the 'white middle classes' who follow cricket and rugby..

They will become a major player soon i think...

I believe it was a great idea to have the world cup in Africa, and i think having it in Asia is also a good idea,, Should have mibee gone to India

Qatar is a poo, poorr decision .. although I read part of the bid was that all the Stadia , bar one, were to be dismantled and moved to Other Countries..

Football can be a major force for good and 'wee' countries and areas not football obsessed can benefit.. South Korea/Japan.. South Africa . USA..

Has the Rugby World or cricket cup ever been held in a wee country or 'non' popular region.,.

or even the Olympics...

No my point is if the infrastructures are already in place and it wasn't in South Africa or Qatar then it tells me they aren't particularly football-obsessed otherwise, surely the stadia would already be there for league teams etc. With the bidding system a it is it leaves it A. Open to corruption B. Open to countries getting it who are merely saying they'll have the stadiums ready in time even just by creating virtual stadia in CGI bids. C. Leaves it open to going to countries where stadia are far from full due to lack of home support interest.

The problem I have with "stripping" Qatar of the World Cup is that it will achieve very little.

Qatar have hunners of cash, that'll be the case if they host the World Cup or not.

If they're stripped of the World Cup they'll just build other stuff with their hunners of cash with the same sh1tty conditions for workers they've got at the moment.

Much more effective for them to host the World Cup, but only on the condition that folk they employ to achieve that are given adequate rights and protection. Hopefully that will produce a legacy that these construction companies then build into their future project bids, otherwise they don't get the gig.

That way you use the power of football for good.

Unless you're stripping them of the World Cup because you have concerns about their ability to host travelling fans...

Edited by Goozay