Negative Nicholas - Page 2 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Negative Nicholas

Templeton_Peck

For me that was the greatest ever scottish season in my lifetime, not just because united pipped celtic and aberdeen for the title. There were some immense players at the time and the league was incredibly competitive.

As for Nicholas, I think he could have been Scotland's greatest ever player

He had the natural talent to go all the way thats for sure, bad decision to go to Arsenal (instead of Liverpool) & a couple of bad injuries also had an adverse effect on his career, as someone mentioned in an earlier post, seasons 1982, '83 & '84 where some of the best football years of my life - happy days !!

04:20 - but watch it all. Jeez, but we had some good players.

I have trouble remembering goals from last weekend but some of those seem like they were just yesterday. The Nicholas goal at Ibrox and v Swiss, WGS's goal at Pittodrie for some reason, McStays at Tannadice and Ralph Milnes v Dundee obviously. A great watch, a fantastic 5 minutes odd of anyones time!

I have trouble remembering goals from last weekend but some of those seem like they were just yesterday. The Nicholas goal at Ibrox and v Swiss, WGS's goal at Pittodrie for some reason, McStays at Tannadice and Ralph Milnes v Dundee obviously. A great watch, a fantastic 5 minutes odd of anyones time!

Watched it some great goals & great memories - agree with Flure, we had some cracking players back then, our national team really should have done so much better at WC 1982 & 1986. (1982 especially)

Watched it some great goals & great memories - agree with Flure, we had some cracking players back then, our national team really should have done so much better at WC 1982 & 1986. (1982 especially)

Players like Bannon were superb up here but only got 11 caps, but then I suppose we had a double European Cup winner playing left wing.

The ones that stick in my head were John McGovern, European Cup winning team captain who never got a Scotland cap and John Wark, who did get a decent total of 27 caps, 7 goals, but who was a 1980's better version of Frank Lampard re scoring goals from midfield. Look at his record, 36 (!), 23 and then 23 goals for Ipswich from midfield in 3 consecutive seasons and in his second season at Liverpool he scored 27 and, according to Wiki, outscored Ian Rush that season. Imagine having a player who could score like that and him only picking up 27 caps!!

our national team really should have done so much better at WC 1982 & 1986. (1982 especially)

Again we got a tough draw against a great Russian team and the best Brazilians since 1970. Really unfortunate to be playing in the hottest bit of Spain. And we had Rough and Hansen...

You do detect a whiff of bitterness when Charlie speaks about the national team. Now we know as a player he had an air of arrogance about him so perhaps he holds old grudges like he should have got more caps or something. Not sure but you certainly get the impression he has a deep-rooted problem with us.

He probably should have won more caps, but telling the then Scotland manager that there was no point in him picking him if he wasn't going to play him wouldn't have helped very much in that regard.

Aside from Arsenal, it is rare to hear Charlie speak positively about any of his former teams. Neil Lennon once remarked on the negativity he showed towards Celtic as a pundit. Although, to be fair, Neil Lennon said similar things about plenty of other people!

dont think there is much of an issue with CN with scotland, he was absolutely raging at half time at the lichtenstein game "if we dont win this turn off the lights, we will not be back!" and he used to rave about faddy back in the day (check the mcfadden video on youtube)

has anyone posted about how dalglish said we wont qualfiy yet ? (geniune question)

Edited by LewisEDI

Has anyone else noticed that Scottish pundits seem to all be overly negative when working in England as if to distance themselves from the "inferior" Scottish football? I remember an ex killie player coming on for Greece at the euros and Craig Burley saying "that means he's rubbish".

Has anyone else noticed that Scottish pundits seem to all be overly negative when working in England as if to distance themselves from the "inferior" Scottish football? I remember an ex killie player coming on for Greece at the euros and Craig Burley saying "that means he's rubbish".

Burley is probably the worst for it. Constantly running down our game and the national team at every opportunity.

Burley is probably the worst for it. Constantly running down our game and the national team at every opportunity.

I could be wrong but it seemed t start when uncle George became manager, he started making excuses for him by rubbishing the standard of our game and players.

I honestly think that Nicholas' main problem as a pundit is that he is simply not very intelligent. I also believe that was his downfall as a player when the bright lights of London lured him away from the chance to join Europe's best team. So instead of being slotted into a Liverpool system that would have suited his style and groomed him to be Dalglish's eventual successor, he went to a middling Arsenal side dominated by Don Howe's simplistic tactics, which really did not suit him.

He probably still have had a few more Scotland caps than players like Steve Archibald.

We should have done better in 82 and 86, but blame the managers. Stein's defensive decisions in 82 were really poor: loyalty to a past it Danny McGrain, parachuting in Allan Evans, not realising Leighton was better than Rough, McLeish on the bench, etc, etc. Fergie got the defence right in 86, but little else.

He's a bitter wee so n so.

I remember doing a q&a session at work with him a few years ago and some of his sky colleagues(David Tanner & Neil McCann),I asked if playing or scoring in front of a packed Hampden was as good as playing for Celtic & all of a sudden he went off on one saying Scotland games didn't mean that much compared to playing for celtic as he wasn't getting paid that much and it was basically more hassle than it was worth pulling on the dark blue shirt.

On the other hand Neil McCann said it was the highlight of his career apart from winning the scottish cup with hearts & having a family.

I didn't realise getting paid to play for your country was a 'to do' option when I was growing up,I just wanted to play for them,yeah - Charlie Nic is a prized tool,each to there own I guess & it's his opinion.

So, to clarify. We're one point behind the group leaders who we were relatively unlucky not to beat away. We've still got them at home and can be quietly confident of getting a win against them. We've also got Ireland away and while we only beat them by 1 goal at home they didn't overly trouble us and again 3 points away isn't beyond the realms of possibility. We've also got Germany at home. They beat us away but it could be said a mixture of bad luck and bad defending cost us a point. With a bit more luck and concentration in the return leg would taking a draw of them be so hard to believe? So that's a potential 7 points from 3 key games we have coming up. Gibraltar is a gimme so that's 10. That leaves the potential banana skin of Georgia away but even losing that still has us on 20 points with the results above (should the cards fall that way) damaging all the other teams in the group yet Charlie it seems has us struggling to even finish third?

In summary, Charlie Nicholas is a fud.

So, to clarify. We're one point behind the group leaders who we were relatively unlucky not to beat away. We've still got them at home and can be quietly confident of getting a win against them. We've also got Ireland away and while we only beat them by 1 goal at home they didn't overly trouble us and again 3 points away isn't beyond the realms of possibility. We've also got Germany at home. They beat us away but it could be said a mixture of bad luck and bad defending cost us a point. With a bit more luck and concentration in the return leg would taking a draw of them be so hard to believe? So that's a potential 7 points from 3 key games we have coming up. Gibraltar is a gimme so that's 10. That leaves the potential banana skin of Georgia away but even losing that still has us on 20 points with the results above (should the cards fall that way) damaging all the other teams in the group yet Charlie it seems has us struggling to even finish third?

In summary, Charlie Nicholas is a fud.

:ok::ok::ok: