Wales - Page 2 - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Wales have the luck to have 2 genuine world class players in Bale and Ramsey.

The rest of them are ordinary. Without these 2 they would be...well, us.

Its OK though Rossy, Ricky is busy uncovering and nurturing some big physical runners for our future 1st team.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Aye, having world class players in the positions they do is particularly fortunate.

Darren Fletcher is (was?) the only player you could consider close to world class in our squad.

Darren Fletcher was a good player, he has never been anywhere near word class. We haven't had a world class player for about 30 years.

Aye, having world class players in the positions they do is particularly fortunate.

Darren Fletcher is (was?) the only player you could consider close to world class in our squad.

World class??

I'll have some of whatever you are sniffing please.

Wales are looking good just now but it can all go the other way quickly, happened to them in Euro 2004 campaign. Hope they do it though. Coleman now stamping his authority on the job after a difficult start, mainly to do with the fact he didn't want to affect the good work Speed done before his death but they're doing fine now.

Just to clarify, as a couple of people have mentioned what I said.

I said Fletcher is the only scottish player that could be considered close to world class.

I suppose it depends on what you consider world class, and also if a destructive type midfielder is the type of position you'd be looking at. The majority of "world class" players are attacking, goal scoring, game changing players. While I don't quite consider Bale "world class" he is the right kind of player, and certainly in the mix depending where you draw the line?

How many "world class" players are there at any one time?

Messi and Ronaldo are definites, no matter how tight your definition, then you have Ibrahimovic, Pirlo, iniesta and some others, are the next level down again still world class? World Cup winners? Chanpions league winners?

Depending where your drawing the line, Darren Fletcher could be considered close to world class, he should've played in a champions league final, he's limited at international level by the country he represents, he's won several domestic honours in a strong league.....

Just to clarify, as a couple of people have mentioned what I said.

I said Fletcher is the only scottish player that could be considered close to world class.

I suppose it depends on what you consider world class, and also if a destructive type midfielder is the type of position you'd be looking at. The majority of "world class" players are attacking, goal scoring, game changing players. While I don't quite consider Bale "world class" he is the right kind of player, and certainly in the mix depending where you draw the line?

How many "world class" players are there at any one time?

Messi and Ronaldo are definites, no matter how tight your definition, then you have Ibrahimovic, Pirlo, iniesta and some others, are the next level down again still world class? World Cup winners? Chanpions league winners?

Depending where your drawing the line, Darren Fletcher could be considered close to world class, he should've played in a champions league final, he's limited at international level by the country he represents, he's won several domestic honours in a strong league.....

Fletcher has won medals, but he had never, at any time, been first pick for his club team until he signed for west brom. Whatever way you define it he simply isn't in the same bracket as the lads you mention, not even close.

You make an interesting point though regarding the 'criteria'. My own defenition would be someone that the worlds/europes top clubs would want to sign at any given time. So to take fletch as an example, he was playing for one of europes top clubs. Would the majority of the other top clubs have saught to sign him? Probably not IMO.

I appreciate my argument could be picked apart in seconds of course :)

Fletcher has won medals, but he had never, at any time, been first pick for his club team until he signed for west brom. Whatever way you define it he simply isn't in the same bracket as the lads you mention, not even close.

You make an interesting point though regarding the 'criteria'. My own defenition would be someone that the worlds/europes top clubs would want to sign at any given time. So to take fletch as an example, he was playing for one of europes top clubs. Would the majority of the other top clubs have saught to sign him? Probably not IMO.

I appreciate my argument could be picked apart in seconds of course :)

To be fair to Fletcher between 2008 and 2011 he played in the vast majority of Uniteds games. It's a shame that his illness came about them because he was arguably reaching his peak and an important player for them.

Agree with your definition of world class. It's a stretch to even consider Fletch as world class.

They have won 3 games. 2 of those wins were against Andorra and Cyprus. You don't qualify by winning 3 games. Great results away to Belgium and Israel but they have also dropped 2 points at home. The 2 teams below them have a game in hand. Israel v Belgium tonight. I think they will be in the play offs at best.

If it were not for the fact that Wales are pretty damn good at humbling us, I think there would be a bit more love towards our Celtic cousins :D

I'm glad to see them do well. Beautiful national anthem too.

I can live with Wales skelping us on a fairly regular basis (in at least two sports) but what irks me is that their best player is an unabashed, puffed-up, preening cheat. Credit where it's due, Gareth Bale is an excellent footballer, and this is what annoys me - I can't appreciate him as an excellent footballer because he is so, so obnoxious! :lol:

Wales have produced some great players down the years but they've tended to be 'everymen' types, guys like Ian Rush and big Nev Southall. Even Craig Bellamy had a certain charm, like somebody else's irritating wee brother (but only because you didn't have to actually live with him). Bale, with his alice band, slack jaw and 'look at me' goal celebrations, just gives me the boak!

Agree with you on the national anthem though, it is up there with the best.

I think Wales have solid first team outfit all they really lack is a striker.

Bale is obviously world class, Ramsey I wouldn't say he is, but he is higher EPL standard. Then players like Joe Allen, Ashley Willams, Collins are all pretty solid too.

People are downplaying Wales chances of qualifying, but they are well positioned. The dropped points against Bosnia aren't too harmful considering how badly they have started. They got a draw in Belgium and have beaten Andorra, Cyprus and Isreal, couldn't ask for much more really.

With the way the group is going I think they will qualify as Bosnia were the biggest threat for second who already looked to have blown it, whilst I can't see Isreal or Cyprus realistically beating them to second.

Good luck to them and good luck to NI also who got a good result against Finland. They look well positioned too, but can still easily blow it.

Have said all that it would be horrible if they all qualified and we didn't!