Plane Crash In French Alps - Page 3 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Plane Crash In French Alps

• Replies 355
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No matter how well maintained the plane is it's hard to deal with a flawed human.

Not really. Have a rule that there must always be two individuals in the cockpit. If one of the pilots has to nip out for a couple of minutes, he or she is replaced by another member of the cabin crew. If the other pilot is medically incapacitated, the second pilot won't be locked out (and it would make it tougher in cases of suicide / mass murder by plane).

Edited by DonnyTJS

Not really. Have a rule that there must always be two individuals in the cockpit. If one of the pilots has to nip out for a couple of minutes, he or she is replaced by another member of the cabin crew. If the other pilot is medically incapacitated, the second pilot won't be locked out (and it would make it tougher in cases of suicide / mass murder by plane).

Yeah but in this case even that rule didn't help. Human error us normally the cause for most kinds of accident. Especially for cars. Need to remove humans from the equation. It's not far off...

Yeah but in this case even that rule didn't help. Human error us normally the cause for most kinds of accident. Especially for cars. Need to remove humans from the equation. It's not far off...

I don't think there is currently such a rule for a two-person cockpit, I'm just suggesting there should (and now probably will) be.

I was chatting about this exact scenario to my father in law last night. His neighbour is a Cathay Pacific pilot and his theory on the missing Air Malasyia is exactly that. Co pilot went out for a piss, pilot on some sort of suicide plan, switched off transponders, circled his home town twice, before setting course for the South Atlantic.

Very similar theory to what might have happened.

If this the case the industry need a standard operating procedure to swap a cabin crew member for a pilot in those situations.

Also, regular Psyc tests for pilots.

J

That's Lufthansa policy anyway, so something else has also happened here.

If you toss a coin there is a 50% chance that it will land on heads. Even if you land 99 heads in a row, the probability that the 100th toss will be heads is still 50%. The previous coin tosses have no impact on the outcome.

The fact that a plane crashes today has no impact on the probability of a plane crashing tomorrow.

If you toss a coin there is a 50% chance that it will land on heads. Even if you land 99 heads in a row, the probability that the 100th toss will be heads is still 50%. The previous coin tosses have no impact on the outcome.

The fact that a plane crashes today has no impact on the probability of a plane crashing tomorrow.

You might have responded to the wrong quote then, as you said one of the pilots being out of the cockpit is complete bollocks not the non-dependence of chance.

That is only correct if you assume plane crashes are independent events.

If somebody tossed a coin and got 99 consecutive heads I would have to suspect that those coin tosses were not independent events and that some trickery was going on.

Yeah seems he was knocking to get in to the cockpit and the other pilot wasn't responding to him knocking for some reason or another...

I find this hard to believe

A) I don't think such info could so quickly be ascertained from the CVR

B) that the airline and authorities would be so bold as to release such emotive info

That is only correct if you assume plane crashes are independent events.

If somebody tossed a coin and got 99 consecutive heads I would have to suspect that those coin tosses were not independent events and that some trickery was going on.

Well it would look iffy, especially if there was money involved but there is as much chance of 100 heads coming up as any other combination.

Well it would look iffy, especially if there was money involved but there is as much chance of 100 heads coming up as any other combination.

Do you think the probability of 100 heads in a row is the same as 50 heads and 50 tails? If that's your understanding of probability, I suggest you steer clear of the bookies.

Do you think the probability of 100 heads in a row is the same as 50 heads and 50 tails? If that's your understanding of probability, I suggest you steer clear of the bookies.

No he is saying if you've already thrown 99 heads in a row, the next throw still has a 50/50 chance of being heads.

The probability of 100 heads in a row is the same as 50 heads then 50 tails in a row.

It's not the same as having 100 heads as opposed to 50 heads and 50 tails in any sequence.

Two completely different things.

Any sequence of 100 coin tosses has the same probability as any other sequence. However a random distribution of 50 heads and 50 tails has a much lower probability as there are more sequences that will give that result.

Edited by aaid