Plane Crash In French Alps - Page 5 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Plane Crash In French Alps

Spohr is asked whether Germanwings or Lufthansa protocols provide for a second member of the flight crew to be in the cockpit if one of the pilots leaves. He says that the company does not have such a protocol, that European regulations do not require it, and that he is not aware of any of the companys competitors that have such a procedure.

Change of policy needed immediately IMHO.

J

• Replies 355
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Really?

nope, as i alluded to earlier with my pastings of the posts.

Spohr is asked whether Germanwings or Lufthansa protocols provide for a second member of the flight crew to be in the cockpit if one of the pilots leaves. He says that the company does not have such a protocol, that European regulations do not require it, and that he is not aware of any of the company’s competitors that have such a procedure.

I see i was beaten to posting the question from the press conference.

Edited by phart

Change of policy needed immediately IMHO.

J

Unfortunately, true.

For 100 years now the main way to improve aviation safety is reacting to a catastrophic event and learning from it....even in 2015, we're still doing this.

I would expect that Europe will now adopt the US procedures of having 2 people in the cockpit at all times, and I imagine, and hope, that better and more frequent psychological evaluations will be introduced.

Spohr is asked whether Germanwings or Lufthansa protocols provide for a second member of the flight crew to be in the cockpit if one of the pilots leaves. He says that the company does not have such a protocol, that European regulations do not require it, and that he is not aware of any of the company’s competitors that have such a procedure.

Apart from anything its common sense. Complete joke that it isn't a protocol for every single passenger jet.

Just heard on the radio that Ryanair and Monarch already have the 2 in cockpit policy.

Easyjet implementing the policy as of tomorrow.

That's good as I fly Easyjet to Edinburgh tomorrow!

J

I wonder if this will have an impact on staffing levels.

Some of the really small craft have only one cabin staff. If one of the drivers has to go for a pee and a member of cabin crew has to step in to the cockpit, they'll not want to leave the cabin unstaffed.

Also, check out some of the RAFs front line bombers and transport aircraft.

Airframes almost as old as I am.

However the avionics, engines, hydrolics are brand new and maintained to feck.

J

i was going to say stuff but for the osa and that

Regarding trains there are safety systems built in to stop a train for example travelling to fast towards a buffer a red signal or a junction/ curve, however these systems can be isolated by the train driver so wouldn't work.

The only safeguard and quite a rare one is if you had a runaway train then the signaller and depending what route the train is travelling on could divert the train by operating a set of points

So to all you lovely fare paying customers who travel by train you can all sleep well, if you are a fare dodger then you are not insured so tough. :-)) .

This must be a new system as nothing stopped a runaway train ending up on large main street

This must be a new system as nothing stopped a runaway train ending up on large main street

Hunchy it depends the location of the points are and if for example it was going over the bridge leading into Glasgow Central, then unluckily as all lines lead onto the buffers then it;s to late.

If it was a runaway a mile before then maybe itcould have been diverted away from the lines leading directly to the station even if it meant derailing the train.

I did state it was only on rare occasions and in certain locations this could happen..

I think it is time to consider getting humans out of the cockpit completely. Pilots dont take off, land or 'fly' the plane just now so why take the risk of having them there at all ?

Inspite of the risk of a pilot being a homicidal maniac I would prefer to get on a plane with a flight crew in the cockpit...

Hunchy it depends the location of the points are and if for example it was going over the bridge leading into Glasgow Central, then unluckily as all lines lead onto the buffers then it;s to late.

If it was a runaway a mile before then maybe itcould have been diverted away from the lines leading directly to the station even if it meant derailing the train.

I did state it was only on rare occasions and in certain locations this could happen..

The train went out of control somewhere between west Kilbride and fairlie so there would have been plenty of places for it to be diverted onto sidings. Folk waiting at Fairlie station said the train flew past them with no attempt to slow down

It's just something that hasn't been an issue before...

It's certainly not unknown for one of the flight crew to go on a suicide bender and decide to merrily take a plane full of screaming passengers with him.

The last one was 2 years ago in Mozambique (although the Air Malaysia disappearance may also have been 'suicide').

It certainly focuses minds though when it happens so close to home.

It's certainly not unknown for one of the flight crew to go on a suicide bender and decide to merrily take a plane full of screaming passengers with him.

The last one was 2 years ago in Mozambique (although the Air Malaysia disappearance may also have been 'suicide').

It certainly focuses minds though when it happens so close to home.

Actually crashed in Namibia near the Angolan border, flying from Maputo to Luanda. Africa though, so the stark warning seems to have been ignored.

Regarding trains there are safety systems built in to stop a train for example travelling to fast towards a buffer a red signal or a junction/ curve, however these systems can be isolated by the train driver so wouldn't work.

The only safeguard and quite a rare one is if you had a runaway train then the signaller and depending what route the train is travelling on could divert the train by operating a set of points

So to all you lovely fare paying customers who travel by train you can all sleep well, if you are a fare dodger then you are not insured so tough. :-)) .

If only they had a system that got them to arrive on time, have enough carriages and heating that worked.

If only they had a system that got them to arrive on time, have enough carriages and heating that worked.

Blame the tories. I actually work for the biggest train operator in Britain we run more trains than anyone and roughly 94% of our services arrive within 5 minutes of their booked arrival time.

Considering the age of the units we run i would say we do a pretty good job.

However not being an expert on customer service and i don't work for Scotrail but to those who are unhappy if for example you travel Edinburgh to Glasgow daily and arrive within 5 minutes of your booked time then i suggest you get a bus or drive. :ok:

Blame the tories. I actually work for the biggest train operator in Britain we run more trains than anyone and roughly 94% of our services arrive within 5 minutes of their booked arrival time.

Considering the age of the units we run i would say we do a pretty good job.

However not being an expert on customer service and i don't work for Scotrail but to those who are unhappy if for example you travel Edinburgh to Glasgow daily and arrive within 5 minutes of your booked time then i suggest you get a bus or drive. :ok:

Next time you come along the aisle with your trolley can you make sure you have a kit Kat to go with my coffee

Next time you come along the aisle with your trolley can you make sure you have a kit Kat to go with my coffee

And if i was a trolley dolly watch it as i may spill the coffee. :ok: You must have more money than me, have you seen he price of a kit kat on a train

It'd be interesting to hear from this eye witness...

"Ms Royal confirmed this morning that, soon after 10.30am, when the pilots had stopped responding by radio, the French military scrambled a Mirage jet fighter to investigate. This aircraft was seen by eye-witnesses following the doomed airliner as it skimmed the Alpine ridges before crashing into a sheer mountain-side. The pilot of the Mirage could, therefore, also possess crucial information on the Germanwings aircraft's behaviour."

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/europe/germanwings-plane-crash-airbus-a320-glide-to-destruction-took-18-minutes-not-8-10131891.html#