Plane Crash In French Alps - Page 2 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Plane Crash In French Alps

• Replies 355
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Always seems to happen when I'm about to fly! :cry:

Exactly what I was thinking. Flying up to Edinburgh on Friday with my 6 year old for the Scotland game.

I'll be keeping him away from the news for the next couple of days.

Flying Easyjet so it's an A320 as well.

Just read that 16 school kids and a teacher were onboard. FFS! Tragic.

J

.... but you'll not be on an aircraft thats more than 23yrs old

Heard on the news that an A320 (or it could be an Airbus) takes off and lands somewhere in the world every two seconds. A bit of perspective about how many are flying.

J

I'm fine, just trying to keep my boy away from the news.

TBF he's quite matter of fact, I'm pretty sure this wouldn't worry him. But don't want to risk it.

Never know any kids fear flying. My sister in law, though has to take Valium. She's flying long haul with my 4 month old niece in a few weeks, so no drugs for her.

J

Edited by Bristolhibby

I flew 90k KM last year and find this a bit shocking because it statistically shouldn't happen in Europe on these planes with these airlines. However I dont follow the logic that people make themselves afraid to fly but dont think twice about getting in a car. That is bonkers. Airplane safety is almost at unthinkably low levels, cars on the other hand....

lets keep it real....

It's the lack of control I think - once you're belted in there's no turning back - if you're driving your own car you probably have a false sense of security as you're 'in control'.

Flying is too much of a palaver these days with all the security - if the train is a viable alternative that's my preferred mode of transport.

.... but you'll not be on an aircraft thats more than 23yrs old

You kidding? I read that the average fleet age some of these budget airlines can be 25-30 year old planes easy. Might be Jet2 I was reading about but I think they all do it hence why they can offer cheaper seats.

The Jet2 plane I was on recently was tatty as . They said will often two round trips a day in Europe, stop and refuel back in the air within an hour or two. In a 30 year old plane....

It amazes me these planes are as reliable as they are given the use they take. No doubt that is why they cost so feckin much to buy new.

What scares me about air travel is the fuel should virtually any accident occur. The wings are full of it. Then there is the time it would take you to actually free-fall or semi-free-fall to your death. If you are lucky there is no fire and you just have to endure several minutes of what must be total terror. But if the plane is burning and falling you have several minutes of being slowly incinerated as you fall to your death. Instead of that stupid wee life jacket there should be a cyanide capsule.

Hate being in planes, hate flying, hate airports. Used to like them when I was a kid. The whole security nonsense on top now makes it a painful experience. If I was loaded I would be a private jet job for sure. Those kunts dont even get bothered by customs a lot of the time. Car drives you to the steps of the waiting plane, crew waiting for you to leave when you want... And all for about 10-15 thousand euros per hour flying in the air. Bargain.

Instead of that stupid wee life jacket there should be a cyanide capsule.

There has been a few flights, particularly after a Scotland away games, where I would have gladly taken that Cyanide capsule.

In fact I would taken that before I even got to the airport.

You kidding? I read that the average fleet age some of these budget airlines can be 25-30 year old planes easy. Might be Jet2 I was reading about but I think they all do it hence why they can offer cheaper seats.

The Jet2 plane I was on recently was tatty as . They said will often two round trips a day in Europe, stop and refuel back in the air within an hour or two. In a 30 year old plane....

It amazes me these planes are as reliable as they are given the use they take. No doubt that is why they cost so feckin much to buy new.

Easyjet seem to have a fairly new fleet.

Same with Ryanair.

Irrespective of what airline, or age of planes, they have a very strict maintenance schedule, and Lufthansa are apparently one of the top companies in this respect. Not sure of the frequency of the maintenance intervals for passenger jets, but with helicopters, it's something like 25% of time is spent in maintenance.

Easyjet seem to have a fairly new fleet.

Same with Ryanair.

Is the correct answer.

Newer planes = less downtime = more profit.

Provided it's been correctly maintained, the age of an aircraft is (almost) irrelevant. Lufthansa are world leading when it comes to maintenance.