Project Stop The Jocks! - Page 7 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Project Stop The Jocks!

• Replies 307
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What are peoples thoughts regarding the EU citizens vote? My wife (Lithuanian) voted for independence but a lot of work colleagues and other acquaintances from the EU now living in Scotland voted no.

The thing is, they don't get a vote in the General Election. So, if we are using the referendum as a pointer to the numbers voting for the SNP or otherwise, is the loss of the EU citizens vote going to be significant one way or the other?

Good question.

One of the most shameful tactics adopted by the No campaign was trying to convince EU migrants and asylum seekers that they could be kicked out of Scotland if Yes prevailed. Some saw through it but many didn't.

Off the top of my head I can see no good reason why EU citizens resident in the UK shouldn't be allowed to vote in general elections. They contribute to the country in many ways so why shouldn't they also have a say in how it's run and who governs it?

However, if they were able to vote then no doubt they would be targeted in much the same way as they were in the referendum - 'a vote for the SNP is a vote for the Tories, who'll kick you out' etc. So in that sense the fact that they aren't able to vote at least removes one avenue of potential negative campaigning.

Allan Massie - obviously Scotland's version of Max Hastings.

Had to laugh at all the 'English bulldog is beginning to snarl' nonsense. Cleary a person who is bricking it at the thought of a Nationalist juggernaut heading his way.

As PIAK says, no hint of irony in this piece. Clear forgetting (or probably just ignoring) the fact that Scotland consistently rejected Conservatism yet had our affairs dictated to us by Government for 18 years that we didn't vote for and loathed with a passion.

The boot is clearly on the other foot now, and they can't stomach it. No doubt the right-wing, metropolitan bastards from Surrey will no doubt be crying foul on the Comments bit sooner rather than later.

Ian McWhirter in the Herald today goes to town on Massie and Hastings concluding that 'We scribblers have a responsibility not to turn a general election campaign into a witch-hunt.'

Allan Massie is exercised by the thought that democratically and peacefully elected MPs from Scotland might be in government and the English might riot - "and I for one as a Scot don't blame them."

Was he manning the barricades when Scotland was being ruled (and still is) by Conservative governments they overwhelmingly rejected and who decimated the Scottish economy? Naw, thought not.

I have no problem with unionists - I married one - but if you accept that a majority of UK MPs have a right to form a government, then that works both ways.

You have to wonder about people like Allan Massie who seem to be driven by some form of denial of their own identity. (Maybe they'd say the same about nationalists rejecting a British identity.) Plenty of that type in Scotland too. Can't be good for the blood pressure.

http://www.pressreader.com/uk/daily-star/20150310/281496454754288/TextView

I thought this was quite funny to be honest.

It looks dodgy at first glance but the story is factually accurate and the tone of the piece makes it obvious that it's a piss take.

Edited by Stokesy

It's just like the referendum again...Project Fear 2.0

There's a storm of hatred being brewed up south of the border.....much of it by uber right-wing, Unionist Scots in the media. They're attempting to demonise the SNP, to make them out to be a gang of racist extremists set on acting out centuries old grievancies against the English.

It's desperate, disgusting stuff driven by hatred, fear and resentement, but unfortunately many south of the border take it in, because that's what they want to believe.

I despair at the state of the media and politics in the UK these days.

.....and the love in continues unabated!B_sU2OfWQAAOpMP.jpg

You see, this is the great thing about social media / Internet. I just saw their 'Scottish' edition in Morrisons - 'Scottish rats invade England'. In the old days, people would have bought that shite, totally unaware the same paper was coming out with blatant racism / gingerism.

You see, this is the great thing about social media / Internet. I just saw their 'Scottish' edition in Morrisons - 'Scottish rats invade England'. In the old days, people would have bought that shite, totally unaware the same paper was coming out with blatant racism / gingerism.

On their website it is an actual story about actual ginger coloured rats. I'm sure they didn't even give this headline a moment's thought......... <_<

You see, this is the great thing about social media / Internet. I just saw their 'Scottish' edition in Morrisons - 'Scottish rats invade England'.

'mon the rats. Let's hope they don't turn back at Derby.

That cracks me up. These editors are on a lot of dough. You would think they had a degree of sense.

Would have been January 31st 2008, the Editor of the Guardian phones one his contacts at about 5 pm at night who then somehow gets in direct contact with the person running the HMRC building i'm in. His Self Assessment tax return is due by the end of that day. They had 300 days to put it in and chose the last 2 hours. I was hand-picked to phone the guy back and take him through his self-assessment. I refused, it was quite funny having my line manager his manager and the building manageress all telling me i had to phone him back. I said he's a citizen and like the 2 million other Self Assessments he can just phone the number and sit in the queue like everyone else. Why does being editor of the guardian mean the rules don't apply to you.

The worst thing was the building manager(she has an MBE an everything) came down like i was being offered some great and important duty like filling the kings cup when he holds it out. She's like "John you've been hand-selected to guide the editor of the guardian through his self assessment". Standing there desperate to tug at her forlock.

Aye so editors dont have to be bright cause when they feck up they just pick up the phone and folk fall over themselves to sort the issue their stupidity caused.

Still annoys me thinking about that kent.