Will Anyone Other Then Celtic Ever Win The League? - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Will Anyone Other Then Celtic Ever Win The League?

Okay. What with this afternoon's result and Dundee United's lack of ambition in selling their best two players, I'm wondering whether I shall ever see another team win the SPL. I think Aberdeen have done very well this season but fear, as the Christmas window showed, that Celtic will always have too much in terms of resources. What are we looking? Nine in the row should be a foregone conclusion.

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Okay. What with this afternoon's result and Dundee United's lack of ambition in selling their best two players, I'm wondering whether I shall ever see another team win the SPL. I think Aberdeen have done very well this season but fear, as the Christmas window showed, that Celtic will always have too much in terms of resources. What are we looking? Nine in the row should be a foregone conclusion.

The only team that can stop Celtic getting 9 or 10 in a row are themselves. Delia looks like he is building a good team but it will depend if the board can match the fans ambitions as they have a history of underspending when they think it's all wrapped up.

Admittedly they don't mind splurging a couple of million when they think it's needed, this season.

The next team to win the SPL other than Celtic will probably be Rangers, and given the shambolic mess at Ibrox that could be in twenty years time!

There was a window of opportunity to switch to an eighteen team top division which would have been more competitive, but that opportunity was lost. So I can't see Celtic being challenged until someone has the financial clout to bring in a strong squad and I can't see where that's going to happen in the short to medium term.

It's strange enough going to Scotland games with young adults who have never seen anyone other than Rangers or Celtic win the top division, it's a real possibility that in a wee while you'll be necking pints with fans that have only ever seen Celtic win the title!

Can't blame Celtic they're only doing what they are meant to do!

TT

The next team to win the SPL other than Celtic will probably be Rangers, and given the shambolic mess at Ibrox that could be in twenty years time!

There was a window of opportunity to switch to an eighteen team top division which would have been more competitive, but that opportunity was lost. So I can't see Celtic being challenged until someone has the financial clout to bring in a strong squad and I can't see where that's going to happen in the short to medium term.

It's strange enough going to Scotland games with young adults who have never seen anyone other than Rangers or Celtic win the top division, it's a real possibility that in a wee while you'll be necking pints with fans that have only ever seen Celtic win the title!

TT

I would certainly agree with your 18 team league. That was the way to go for me but of course finances swayed the clubs to decide otherwise.

TT

The old 1st division was such a model for success they canned it for the smaller prem leg set up

Too many middle of table pointless games half way thru season

The old 1st division was such a model for success they canned it for the smaller prem leg set up

The 2nd point - isnt that true for every league with a large number of teams?

1st point - I think the league was changed, because of £. Clubs wanted more games against rangers and celtic for bigger gates, and the TV companies just wanted 30 Old Firm games a season!

A 14 or 16 team league with a split would eradicate this issue quite easily. There will however always be some pointless games.

One thing the last couple of years has shown is that there is no need for 4 Old Firm games a season and clubs can survive on playing Celtic or Rangers just once at home each year...

Fear we may have lost the chance for massive overhaul of scottish football.

As soon as Rangers reach the top league it will as per. 4 games a year a must for any tv deal.

If we play in the winter a 30 game, 16 league setup is fine. We can have a long winter break. League cup pre xmas and scots cup after.

One thing the last couple of years has shown is that there is no need for 4 Old Firm games a season and clubs can survive on playing Celtic or Rangers just once at home each year...

Another thing that the last three years, and more particularly the last month, have proved is that Scottish football does not need the OF or their direct meetings.

Despite what Radio Scotland and the printed media would have you believe, Scotland is a better place without that fixture.

In my lifetime the last three years have been the best since 1980-87 for competitiveness and honours being shared in Scottish football.

Kilmarnock, Hearts, Aberdeen, St Mirren and St. Johnstone would agree too.

Another thing that the last three years, and more particularly the last month, have proved is that Scottish football does not need the OF or their direct meetings.

Despite what Radio Scotland and the printed media would have you believe, Scotland is a better place without that fixture.

In my lifetime the last three years have been the best since 1980-87 for competitiveness and honours being shared in Scottish football.

Kilmarnock, Hearts, Aberdeen, St Mirren and St. Johnstone would agree too.

:ok:

:ok:

Then why does the top league not have a sponsor?

Serious question, is it Rangers related or is the product unattractive or something else?

You say the product is good but corporate sponsors disagree for some reason.

Then why does the top league not have a sponsor?

Serious question, is it Rangers related or is the product unattractive or something else?

You say the product is good but corporate sponsors disagree for some reason.

I'm agreeing from the point of view of a football who thinks the leagues and cups are far more interesting now.

I can't speak for sponsors or the incompetence of the SFA etc in not getting a sponsor.

16 team top league, less midweek games , two games a week on tv with reduced ticket prices at them to get stadiums looking full. Need to get the games looking like something to be interested in, than the empty shells of grounds that make the product look worse than it is.

I'm agreeing from the point of view of a football who thinks the leagues and cups are far more interesting now.

I can't speak for sponsors or the incompetence of the SFA etc in not getting a sponsor.

So it's all the SFA's fault?

Sorry but I don't buy it. They are pretty spectacular in a lot of their ineptitude but nobody seems to be saying we want to do it but the SFA are rubbish so we aren't.

There is more to it than that.

The League Cup only had the Semi's and Final sponsored because of the OF game.

I thought the SFA had a sponsor for the Scottish Cup?

Was there not a good spell without a new sponsor though ?

Not sure, but my point to RB was more to do with the level of interest and increased excitement IMO to Scottish football in last few years.

Whatever the reasons, most fans in Scotland I know have enjoyed the last few years a lot more.

So it's all the SFA's fault?

Sorry but I don't buy it. They are pretty spectacular in a lot of their ineptitude but nobody seems to be saying we want to do it but the SFA are rubbish so we aren't.

There is more to it than that.

The League Cup only had the Semi's and Final sponsored because of the OF game.

Not the point.

To quote Barney (who's point I originally agreed with) "In my lifetime the last three years have been the best since 1980-87 for competitiveness and honours being shared in Scottish football."

Edited by fringo

Was there not a good spell without a new sponsor though ?

Not sure, but my point to RB was more to do with the level of interest and increased excitement IMO to Scottish football in last few years.

Whatever the reasons, most fans in Scotland I know have enjoyed the last few years a lot more.

Did Tennents not sponsor for years before William Hill?

Its the SPFL or SPL in its former life who have questions to answer on sponsorship and the value of tv contracts.

Did Tennents not sponsor for years before William Hill?

Its the SPFL or SPL in its former life who have questions to answer on sponsorship and the value of tv contracts.

Not sure but as per my above posts I was more interested in the level of interest from most fans not sponsors.