Series Worth Watching - Page 99 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Series Worth Watching

9 hours ago, Auchinyell Sox Change said:

- currently watching 'the reckoning ' tough going ; Steve Coogan very good in the part

Just finished it. Coogan was brilliant.

Galling watching the funeral scene at the start. The scum in high places who obviously knew and allowed this state like funeral should be called out. Will never happen tho.

2 hours ago, Och Aye said:

Just finished it. Coogan was brilliant.

Galling watching the funeral scene at the start. The scum in high places who obviously knew and allowed this state like funeral should be called out. Will never happen tho.

Out of interest who in high places should have called out Savile? I don't know enough about his career to say for definite that person X knew of his abusive behaviour and had the power to do something but swept it under the carpet. There were investigations and I guess they (particularly from the BBC) could have been more thorough but he was cleared and nothing substantial came out until after he died, although there was obviously plenty of rumours and lots of hearsay. Even apart from the criminal acts Savile came across as a thoroughly nasty person.

As you say Coogan was brilliant, as were the make up dept., Coogan must have been relieved when he finally had to stop playing such a vile human being.

Edited by Hertsscot

17 hours ago, Ally Bongo said:

Binge watched it and while it is more expansive and focuses more on the victims and their families i think This Is Personal is far better but wrongly more sympathetic to the Ripper Squad

David Morrissey was also miscast for George Oldfield

I meant to say The Long Shadow completely ignores the new £5 note enquiry of the case whereas it is a big part of This is Personal

It is a major fascinating ,although excruciating, bit of the case in which they unbelievably managed to nail it down to 241 employees that could have received the new £5 note which was found in Jean Jordan's handbag

Sutcliffe of course was one of the 241 but before they began interviewing them they cross referenced the names and ignored anyone they had previously eliminated.

It was Bruce Jones (Les Battersby from Coronation St) that found Jean Jordon's body after Sutcliffe had went back to it looking for the fiver and tried to cut her head off 

Edited by Ally Bongo

On 10/12/2023 at 11:16 AM, Ally Bongo said:

I meant to say The Long Shadow completely ignores the new £5 note enquiry of the case whereas it is a big part of This is Personal

It is a major fascinating ,although excruciating, bit of the case in which they unbelievably managed to nail it down to 241 employees that could have received the new £5 note which was found in Jean Jordan's handbag

Sutcliffe of course was one of the 241 but before they began interviewing them they cross referenced the names and ignored anyone they had previously eliminated.

It was Bruce Jones (Les Battersby from Coronation St) that found Jean Jordon's body after Sutcliffe had went back to it looking for the fiver and tried to cut her head off 

Couple things that always stand out for me from reading about it in past ;

they had wads of computer print out of car reg plates from red light area ; but had to try and cross reference it all laying it on the floor using rulers etc…

and the opportunist nature of catching him ; was he prowling in back alleys.?

he wanted to go for a leak in yard before the police took him to station

one of the coppers went back and found his ‘tools’ on top of a wall - from memory 

7 minutes ago, Auchinyell Sox Change said:

Couple things that always stand out for me from reading about it in past ;

they had wads of computer print out of car reg plates from red light area ; but had to try and cross reference it all laying it on the floor using rulers etc…

and the opportunist nature of catching him ; was he prowling in back alleys.?

he wanted to go for a leak in yard before the police took him to station

one of the coppers went back and found his ‘tools’ on top of a wall - from memory 

Aye he was caught by pure luck for having a prostitute in the car and even then was only taken to Dewsbury nick for his car having the wrong number plates

I'm almost certain they were going to release him from there too because when they contacted the Ripper Squad they weren't interested as he had been "eliminated" 9 times already at which point the Office in charge at Dewsbury wasn't happy and insisted someone come and interview him.

Even then, unbelievably, the Ripper Squad investigators when interviewing him thought it was a waste of time.

When one of the bobbies that arrested him found out the ripper squad were interviewing him he had a lightbulb moment and went back to the spot where they had picked him up and let him go for a piss and found a hammer and knife.

Then back at the station they found another knife in the toilet cistern that Sutcliffe had planked there as he hadnt been searched - and when that was brought to the attention of the Ripper Squad detectives interviewing him Sutcliffe spilled the beans.

He could have kept going for much longer because they were never going to catch him with the methods they were using

They eliminated anyone who had been attacked and survived who wasnt a prostitute right from the start- and that was the disastrous decision that cost at least 8 lives.

When Wilma McCann was murdered all the Police needed to do was search for any attacks or murders where a hammer to the back of the head was used as there had been three in the months leading up to McCann's death - one of which was 14 year old Tracy Browne who's photo fit was a mirror image of Sutcliffe

5 minutes ago, Ally Bongo said:

Aye he was caught by pure luck for having a prostitute in the car and even then was only taken to Dewsbury nick for his car having the wrong number plates

I'm almost certain they were going to release him from there too because when they contacted the Ripper Squad they weren't interested as he had been "eliminated" 9 times already at which point the Office in charge at Dewsbury wasn't happy and insisted someone come and interview him.

Even then, unbelievably, the Ripper Squad investigators when interviewing him thought it was a waste of time.

When one of the bobbies that arrested him found out the ripper squad were interviewing him he had a lightbulb moment and went back to the spot where they had picked him up and let him go for a piss and found a hammer and knife.

Then back at the station they found another knife in the toilet cistern that Sutcliffe had planked there as he hadnt been searched - and when that was brought to the attention of the Ripper Squad detectives interviewing him Sutcliffe spilled the beans.

He could have kept going for much longer because they were never going to catch him with the methods they were using

They eliminated anyone who had been attacked and survived who wasnt a prostitute right from the start- and that was the disastrous decision that cost at least 8 lives.

When Wilma McCann was murdered all the Police needed to do was search for any attacks or murders where a hammer to the back of the head was used as there had been three in the months leading up to McCann's death - one of which was 14 year old Tracy Browne who's photo fit was a mirror image of Sutcliffe

Thanks for that !

it is mind boggling what went down in living memory ; and attitudes of the time

think even the public are more savvy now after a constant diet of police procedural shows

On 10/12/2023 at 5:01 PM, Hertsscot said:

Out of interest who in high places should have called out Savile? I don't know enough about his career to say for definite that person X knew of his abusive behaviour and had the power to do something but swept it under the carpet. There were investigations and I guess they (particularly from the BBC) could have been more thorough but he was cleared and nothing substantial came out until after he died, although there was obviously plenty of rumours and lots of hearsay. Even apart from the criminal acts Savile came across as a thoroughly nasty person.

As you say Coogan was brilliant, as were the make up dept., Coogan must have been relieved when he finally had to stop playing such a vile human being.

The church, royal family, political parties and even the armed forces who attended would have advisors be it publicity, public relations, etc. They should have backed away from it. The BBC seemed more interested in ratings than investigating any wrong doings. Thatchers right hand man certainly knew it was more than rumours blocking his knighthood 3 times. Makes you wonder why John Lydon's famous interview where he said "and we all know what Jimmy gets up to" wasn't looked into more. Why didn't the interviewer ask him what he meant? (Unless he knew exactly what he meant) Probably had someone in his ear telling him to change the subject. 

1 hour ago, Och Aye said:

The church, royal family, political parties and even the armed forces who attended would have advisors be it publicity, public relations, etc. They should have backed away from it. The BBC seemed more interested in ratings than investigating any wrong doings. Thatchers right hand man certainly knew it was more than rumours blocking his knighthood 3 times. Makes you wonder why John Lydon's famous interview where he said "and we all know what Jimmy gets up to" wasn't looked into more. Why didn't the interviewer ask him what he meant? (Unless he knew exactly what he meant) Probably had someone in his ear telling him to change the subject. 

9 mins 5 secs in. A very good question indeed.

• 3 weeks later...

Okay a film not a series ; but couldn’t find relevant thread

Filip - on Netflix

Polish Jew escapes warsaw ghetto sets up new life as a french waiter in frankfurt ; ‘romances’ lots of women

i only saw ‘the pianist’ for the first fairly recently ( and embarrassingly so must admit ) not as dark as that though

On 8/21/2023 at 10:50 PM, Fairbairn said:

The Christmas episode of The Bear in season 2 is one of the most intense, exhausting things I’ve ever watched!! 

Have just started Season 2 , not sure I am enjoying this one as much as the first series . God knows what the Xmas episode is like as I found the second from last episode of Season 1 one of the most manic things I have seen . I honestly found myself holding my breath at times 😁

Started watching Tulsa King last night. Its old so has probably been mentioned on here before but the first episode was very funny. Bodes well for the rest. 

Started watching Black Bird last night.  Taron Egerton (pretty much always good in whatever he's in) plays a drug dealer sent to prison who is then offered release if he can get another prisoner to admit to murders they are trying to solve.  Pretty good supporting cast with Greg Kinnear and Paul Walter Houser in key roles.  Only watched one episode last night but enjoyed it and will be back in for more tonight.

I might have to go for something a bit more light hearted next though as prior to this we watched The Longest Shadow (Yorkshire Ripper), The Reckoning (Jimmy Savile) and Maxine (Carr) back to back!  It's a wonder I've not been having nightmares!

19 hours ago, TDYER63 said:

Started watching Tulsa King last night. Its old so has probably been mentioned on here before but the first episode was very funny. Bodes well for the rest. 

Spoiler alert! You’ve just seen the best of it 😂

2 hours ago, Fairbairn said:

Started watching Black Bird last night.  Taron Egerton (pretty much always good in whatever he's in) plays a drug dealer sent to prison who is then offered release if he can get another prisoner to admit to murders they are trying to solve.  Pretty good supporting cast with Greg Kinnear and Paul Walter Houser in key roles.  Only watched one episode last night but enjoyed it and will be back in for more tonight.

I might have to go for something a bit more light hearted next though as prior to this we watched The Longest Shadow (Yorkshire Ripper), The Reckoning (Jimmy Savile) and Maxine (Carr) back to back!  It's a wonder I've not been having nightmares!

Come on FB! You’re made of sterner stuff than that, you’ve been watching fortnightly horror shows at Ibrox for over a decade 😉

1 hour ago, slasher said:

Spoiler alert! You’ve just seen the best of it 😂

Thanks for spoiling the only TV  humour  I can find just now 🙄 Luckily I am easily amused. We watched another 1 1/2 episodes last night and although it wasn’t quite as funny as the first I still giggled at bits, husband looking over at me like I was an absolute idiot . 

55 minutes ago, TDYER63 said:

Thanks for spoiling the only TV  humour  I can find just now 🙄 Luckily I am easily amused. We watched another 1 1/2 episodes last night and although it wasn’t quite as funny as the first I still giggled at bits, husband looking over at me like I was an absolute idiot . 

😂

Apologies. From memory we watched about 4/5 episodes then it just got too stoopid! 🤷🏼‍♂️

1 hour ago, slasher said:

😂

Apologies. From memory we watched about 4/5 episodes then it just got too stoopid! 🤷🏼‍♂️

I have watched every series of Designated Survivor , as perseverance with stoopid goes I wear the crown. 

Between you and Bobster with yer doom mongering  spoilers its hardly surprising I spend my entire life anticipating disappointment . 

1 hour ago, TDYER63 said:

Between you and Bobster with yer doom mongering  spoilers it’s hardly surprising I spend my entire life anticipating disappointment . 

Oy! I guess you’re talking about Ray Donovan? Don’t know how far you got with that but I think it was series 5 or 6 that I didn’t enjoy but overall I liked it.

Orraloon made a couple of really good recommendations in Fisk and Bump. Not sure I’d rate them in the same order as him. I think I’d go Colin from Accounts, Fisk then Bump but all funny.

I’m the same as Fairbairn and came on looking for a light hearted suggestion after also watching a few dark, depressing series. Will probably stay clear of Tulsa King though 🙂

On 10/14/2023 at 10:56 AM, Toepoke said:

Been binging the (presumably) final series of the excellent Rise Of The Nazis.  All four series are now available on iPlayer, so you can watch the historians age before your eyes.

I was recommending this to one of the kids at school today. Excellent series.

On 11/1/2023 at 7:20 PM, Bobster said:

Oy! I guess you’re talking about Ray Donovan? Don’t know how far you got with that but I think it was series 5 or 6 that I didn’t enjoy but overall I liked it.

Orraloon made a couple of really good recommendations in Fisk and Bump. Not sure I’d rate them in the same order as him. I think I’d go Colin from Accounts, Fisk then Bump but all funny.

I’m the same as Fairbairn and came on looking for a light hearted suggestion after also watching a few dark, depressing series. Will probably stay clear of Tulsa King though 🙂

😁 yes Ray Donovan , I have just started series 4 . I am still enjoying it but waiting for the big disappointment that’s getting ever closer . It’s looming in the distance like a new year resolution. 

Yeah, I liked the Aussie shows too though I don’t think I continued with Bump. Dont listen to Slasher , Tulsa King is quite funny and easy watching. Have you tried Jury Duty? I found it funny but in a sort of uncomfortable way . 

On 11/1/2023 at 11:11 AM, Fairbairn said:

Finished this tonight and it’s excellent, all the better considering it’s a true story. The performance from Paul Walter Hauser is unbelievable and Ray Liotta isn’t far behind in one of his last roles. 

On 11/7/2023 at 5:08 PM, EddardStark said:

Missed Ghosts the first time round. We've just watched the whole 5 series. Lovely little comedy. 25 min episodes perfectly scripted and some great characters 

My wife got me into this. I'd watched the trailers when this first got aired and thought it looked rubbish. However it's a really nice gentle comedy though still has moments of poignancy.

On 10/9/2023 at 4:29 PM, Auchinyell Sox Change said:

just watched "Lupin" season 3 ; back to what it was in season 1

light hearted ; Mr Ben meets Mission Impossible type caper

Started this due to your recommendation

It's good, easy watching

Although it's more like Oceans 11 meets Thomas Crown...