Sectarian Singing - Page 27 - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Sectarian Singing

• Replies 849
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cheers.

A fans group formed by an apologist of bigots and a convicted drug dealer, former BNP member and thug.

We are the people.

He is the guy who appeared in the vice documentary about the old firm on YouTube. To be fair seemed like he was trying to turn his life around - he was coaching kids playing football and pretty open about what he had done in the past as a hooligan. Although oddly he said he didn't miss it...

Didn't tartan jons previous incarnation used to brag about being an Aberdeen hooligan back in the day?

I'm not sure that's true. I've theoretically been a Protestant (albeit an atheist one, or even an antitheist) and have lived in Scotland for 41 of my 44 years and I've never once been called a "huun". I've never heard the term used to describe or insult anyone other than Rangers supporters.

Just as not all eskimoes are inuits, neither are all protestants "huuns".

Interesting glossary.

Key difference for me is Sectarian/offensive v derogatory.

Massive difference.

https://www.actiononsectarianism.info/aos-network/aos-network-library/research-documents?download=111:sectarianism-glossary-of-terms

J

He is the guy who appeared in the vice documentary about the old firm on YouTube. To be fair seemed like he was trying to turn his life around - he was coaching kids playing football and pretty open about what he had done in the past as a hooligan. Although oddly he said he didn't miss it...

Renounced his hooligan past but did he renounce his vile white supremacist views ?

Didn't tartan jons previous incarnation used to brag about being an Aberdeen hooligan back in the day?

No idea. Is Tartanjon the head/spokesperson for a fans representative group? Is he going on national radio denying that his clubs and sing sectarian songs?

I am amazed that anyone attends football today. Its so scary with all that singing.

Not scary. Folk are just fed up of listening to song about slaughtering folk due to their religion and having the name of Scottish football sullied by scumbags.

It's mainly the name of your club being sullied, i'd expect decent minded Rangers fans to care a lot about this. Maybe you don't give a shite right enough. You did choose to support a team who had an openly bigoted signing policy. Who knows, maybe that was even why you chose to support them.

Let's be a wee bit fair here.

Rangers have a huge amount of scumbags in their support, and as a club, they're poison. But I've been on this TA Board for over 15 years and almost without exception the Rangers fans who have posted regularly on it have been good lads and pretty much universal in their condemnation of sectarian bigotry.....including Eddard, who's consistently condemned the party songs.

I don't see the sense in attacking these posters. I'm sure they would like this pish to be gone from their club as much as the rest of us would.

It's a fly with the crows mentality by plenty on here.

I get their point, but I've yet to see one Rangers fan defend the bigotry.

We are aware there are problems, and the club can only do so much. This has to come from the top and proper sanctions being imposed.

Let's be a wee bit fair here.

Rangers have a huge amount of scumbags in their support, and as a club, they're poison. But I've been on this TA Board for over 15 years and almost without exception the Rangers fans who have posted regularly on it have been good lads and pretty much universal in their condemnation of sectarian bigotry.....including Eddard, who's consistently condemned the party songs.

I don't see the sense in attacking these posters. I'm sure they would like this pish to be gone from their club as much as the rest of us would.

Excellent point Rossy

We as fans are fighting a losing battle to eradicate these songs as our governing body is too weak to deal with these issues.

As long as the people running our game keep sweeping thing under the carpet then nothing will change.

I not sure what we could do as fans to stop this but see that self policing is not always an option here.

It's a fly with the crows mentality by plenty on here.

I get their point, but I've yet to see one Rangers fan defend the bigotry.

We are aware there are problems, and the club can only do so much. This has to come from the top and proper sanctions being imposed.

That's where we disagree.

Rangers (and Celtic) could do far more to combat the arseholes in their support.

Instead of pandering to the base mentality of the scum, both clubs could be making a concerted effort to divorce themselves from the poisonous 'traditions' which give a vehicle to sectarianism.

The solution to this is only going from the clubs themselves, in combination with the cowards at the SFA and SPFL.

We are aware there are problems, and the club can only do so much.

And the clubs do feck all.

How many folk have Rangers identified and banned in the past 12 months for bigoted behaviour? Rangers stewards were in the crowd last Friday apparently, how many people have been banned from future Rangers matches due to what went on that night?

What was the official response from Rangers? 4 days of silence and then a mealy mouth statement which called bigotry "disappointing" and "inappropriate".

Oh aye, Rangers take this deadly seriously...

We as fans are fighting a losing battle to eradicate these songs as our governing body is too weak to deal with these issues.

As long as the people running our game keep sweeping thing under the carpet then nothing will change.

I not sure what we could do as fans to stop this but see that self policing is not always an option here.

if the fans cared enough we could do something. fan power has worked in the past - very effectively when the game looked like becoming unpalatable to the majority.

Possibly it hasnt reached the point where the fans care enough to act - maybe because this problem seems to appear and then die away again - possibly due to the lack of scrutiny and reporting by the media. perhaps because the fans involved push it so far and then give it a break.

Last time I was at Ibrox though I heard all these songs being sung outside and inside the stadium and it wasnt even mentioned in the press. its the acceptance by the media and the people running the game that is the real problem.

if the fans cared enough we could do something. fan power has worked in the past - very effectively when the game looked like becoming unpalatable to the majority.

Possibly it hasnt reached the point where the fans care enough to act - maybe because this problem seems to appear and then die away again - possibly due to the lack of scrutiny and reporting by the media. perhaps because the fans involved push it so far and then give it a break.

Last time I was at Ibrox though I heard all these songs being sung outside and inside the stadium and it wasnt even mentioned in the press. its the acceptance by the media and the people running the game that is the real problem.

I've been on a bus with a load of Scottish football journalists and they belted their way through the song book themselves!

That's where we disagree.

Rangers (and Celtic) could do far more to combat the arseholes in their support.

Instead of pandering to the base mentality of the scum, both clubs could be making a concerted effort to divorce themselves from the poisonous 'traditions' which give a vehicle to sectarianism.

The solution to this is only going from the clubs themselves, in combination with the cowards at the SFA and SPFL.

I didn't say they were doing enough though.