Sectarian Singing - Page 12 - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Sectarian Singing

You can single out sectarian abuse as something special. It's very easy. It's the most prevalent. It's specific to Scotland - so it needs a Scottish solution.

Sectarian abuse must be singled out - its the most effective way to address it. We've seen what happens when you lump "abuse" into one large pot and try to address it - I give you The Offensive Behaviour at Football and Threatening Communications (Scotland) Act 2012.

If you try and define "abuse" at a football game no one will know where to start. The referee makes a bad decision and I shout out "for f@cks sake ref!," loud enough for folk around to me hear and even the ref himself if he's close enough and I time it right. Is that abuse? Should I be objected from the ground, should the club be fined or docked points? There's a couple of times in my workplace where colleagues or even my boss has questioned my methods to get a project done. That's fine, but if they started singing in unison "you don't know what you're doing" that's technically abuse. You want that song banned from grounds as well?

I'm saying there's songs being sung at grounds that are definitely sectarian and steps should be taken to eradicate them. You're saying "no wait, wait, there's other songs that aren't sectarian that are equally bad. We have to get all the bad songs."

Start with the most prevalent, obvious songs. You know better than me which songs I'm talking about. It's a start. See what progress we've made and what else needs to be done.

Your way - we go round and round debating what's abusive and what's not and nothing gets done. Ever.

I see what you're saying but I don't agree. There are other songs that aren't sectarian but are abusive that can obviously be classed as such.

You're assuming that because it's non-sectarian it's difficult to class as abusive. That's simply not the case.

As others have pointed out some sectarian songs dance a fine line so would be difficult to catch.

I agree that you start with the obvious but that doesn't just mean sectarian.

• Replies 849
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You can single out sectarian abuse as something special. It's very easy. It's the most prevalent. It's specific to Scotland - so it needs a Scottish solution.

I don't agree at all. Apart from one recent, spectacular occurrence on live TV sectarianism is a small problem in both Scottish society and Scottish football.

Sectarianism is also not specific to Scotland, or Northern Ireland.

I don't agree at all. Apart from one recent, spectacular occurrence on live TV sectarianism is a small problem in both Scottish society and Scottish football.

Sectarianism is also not specific to Scotland, or Northern Ireland.

... just when I thought we were getting somewhere. A small problem is it? So you won't notice it when it goes. That's nice.

I see what you're saying but I don't agree. There are other songs that aren't sectarian but are abusive that can obviously be classed as such.

You're assuming that because it's non-sectarian it's difficult to class as abusive. That's simply not the case.

As others have pointed out some sectarian songs dance a fine line so would be difficult to catch.

I agree that you start with the obvious but that doesn't just mean sectarian.

You start with the the most prevalent, which as you've stated is sectarian abuse, that way it will have the biggest impact. You learn from how effective that was and adapt to address other forms of abuse. Call it a pilot project.

But I've a feeling we're going to have to agree to disagree.

... just when I thought we were getting somewhere. A small problem is it? So you won't notice it when it goes. That's nice.

You start with the the most prevalent, which as you've stated is sectarian abuse, that way it will have the biggest impact. You learn from how effective that was and adapt to address other forms of abuse. Call it a pilot project.

But I've a feeling we're going to have to agree to disagree.

You're not really advancing your view, since you refuse to take part in the debate.

Goodnight.

Sectarian stuff is pretty much in the fabric in part of the country

The songs and flags have almost become institutionalized over the decades

Harder for some to wean off

Homosexuality was illegal in some punters living memories and typically fair game thru 80 s and 90s

Racist chants and behaviour were pretty common place for many years ; mimicked on tv as recently ad 80s with show 'mixed blessings'

Mind your language etc

Beastiality appears a bit of grey area

Sectarian abuse must be singled out - its the most effective way to address it. We've seen what happens when you lump "abuse" into one large pot and try to address it - I give you The Offensive Behaviour at Football and Threatening Communications (Scotland) Act 2012.

If you try and define "abuse" at a football game no one will know where to start. The referee makes a bad decision and I shout out "for f@cks sake ref!," loud enough for folk around to me hear and even the ref himself if he's close enough and I time it right. Is that abuse? Should I be objected from the ground, should the club be fined or docked points? There's a couple of times in my workplace where colleagues or even my boss has questioned my methods to get a project done. That's fine, but if they started singing in unison "you don't know what you're doing" that's technically abuse. You want that song banned from grounds as well?

I'm saying there's songs being sung at grounds that are definitely sectarian and steps should be taken to eradicate them. You're saying "no wait, wait, there's other songs that aren't sectarian that are equally bad. We have to get all the bad songs."

Start with the most prevalent, obvious songs. You know better than me which songs I'm talking about. It's a start. See what progress we've made and what else needs to be done.

Your way - we go round and round debating what's abusive and what's not and nothing gets done. Ever.

Excellent points and fair play for sticking with this and not getting exasperated and giving up. :ok:

Is this still going?

:lol:

I think incidents of racism in scottish football are few and far between these days, we've come a long way since the days of Mark Walters and Paul Elliott playing in Scotland.

Homophobia is an interesting one, as it's probably pretty rife in football culture. Most of us will have grown up with homophobic insults being the norm in the playground etc. and it's no coincidence there are very few openly gay footballers.

It's pretty rare to hear a crowd en masse singing racist or homophobic songs, although it does happen ("the hibees are gay" or "whores poofs and junkies" or even "we hate Jimmy hill...").

Edited by sbcmfc

Just you ignore my later post so you can have a wee pop, no problem.

No deflection here, just a realistic attitude that it's not all Rangers fans. Some people on here though just can't accept that. I'd say they were the ones deflecting.

In case you can't find my later post, or are too blinkered I condemned all bigotry and agreed that currently the Rangers fans are particularly bad.

I would say Celtic are FAR worse. Saying that with "The Rangers" not being in the top flight no really seen much of them but compatibly at Tynecastle no one comes close to the disgrace Celtic bring on themselves And To Scotland and get away with time after time.

Don't think I've ever seen someone use the F word before on here

It's been used on this thread and plenty of others.

It seems plenty are happy to use Hu.un specifically... It doesn't bother me but it has similar connotations to fenian and is based on a team/religion/belief...

Possibly an Administrator could clarify.

It either all gets stamped out or not. You can't pick and choose...

Why is one acceptable? Genuine question.

A hu.un is a Rangers fan.

Fenian is a term which has been bastardised to become a derogatory term for a Irish Catholic.

I'm sure even you are bright enough to see the difference.

I'd equate h.un with tim and fenian with orange, as in fenian bassa or orange bassa. Neither Tim Nor Hu.n on their own are either sectarian or even offensive.

I never thought I'd say this....

EK, you're the voice of reason.