Sectarian Singing - Page 16 - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Sectarian Singing

• Replies 849
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll have a go.

The reference to the fondness for ovine romancing can quite clearly be seen as an insult born out of different backing for different football clubs.

The other reference is more sinister and pervading of some aspects of Scottish society. It is part of a societal attitude that freely and openly discriminated against a section of our society simply because of that section's choice of how they worshipped their God.

How's that?

I see your point,but that could be very offensive to farmers.

My point is if you can't handle banter one way,you shouldn't dish it out the other.

None of it offends me,but of people complain,then they should stop all references to everything,or they are just a hypocrite imo.

Would that be in the uk only and would the sfa know about it.

He's booked for Dublin :lol:

The Police may ask him to report to his local station with his passport in the lead up to the match.

Guy I know had to do this before every Scotland away game, even though he has never ever been to a Scotland game. He was actually on a confirmed 5 year ban mind you. I would imagine the ban would apply to every football ground in the UK and games abroad involving UK teams though.

What if you say no? Surely you can't be held for months?

Which is why it works. Young guy, banged up for the first time will sing anything to get out. They can only hold you until the next court meeting, which is usually Monday morning if it's a weekend, you would almost definitely get bail at that unless there was some compelling reason to keep you locked up. The bail act was introduced to free up police cells at busy weekends and was designed to let drunks out when they sober up and other minor offences, it wasn't designed to be used to ban people from football for months on end without a court finding them guilty of something.

Which is why it works. Young guy, banged up for the first time will sing anything to get out. They can only hold you until the next court meeting, which is usually Monday morning if it's a weekend, you would almost definitely get bail at that unless there was some compelling reason to keep you locked up. The bail act was introduced to free up police cells at busy weekends and was designed to let drunks out when they sober up and other minor offences, it wasn't designed to be used to ban people from football for months on end without a court finding them guilty of something.

Even "The Sash"?

Cheers for the explanation.

Polis being whanks and abusing their "power" - who'd da thunk it.

What about calling someone a "paedo cant"?

On the assumption that you genuinely want an answer to this and its not simply rhetorical and designed to deflect I'll give this ago. Although its not dissimilar to Flure's answer about shouting sheep sh@gger.

Shouting "paedo" may be on a par with F#nian but it depends on the context and inference. If the inference is <<all Sellick fans are kaflick, kaflicks had that Priest-paedo scandal therefore all kaflicks are paedos>> that's completely unacceptable because its taken it out of football and is attacking people's faith.

However, "paedo" and "paedophile" has unfortunately become something that football fans call people they don't like. I can recall Scotland fans singing about David Beckham and Alan Shearer with their "packet of sweets and a cheeky smile". At no stage did I think that those singing it genuinely believed that either player was a paedophile - it was just something to defame a player who scored a lot of goals for England. Paedophile had become a modern day w@nker or b@$tard.

Is it in bad taste? Yes.

Would I applaud if the clubs and the SPFL took effective action to stop fans singing about paedos? Yes, I believe I would.

If someone started a thread on the TAMB condemning songs about paedos and demanding something must be done would I incessantly post "but what about the sectarian singing"? No, I definitetly would not.

On the assumption that you genuinely want an answer to this and its not simply rhetorical and designed to deflect I'll give this ago. Although its not dissimilar to Flure's answer about shouting sheep sh@gger.

Shouting "paedo" may be on a par with F#nian but it depends on the context and inference. If the inference is <<all Sellick fans are kaflick, kaflicks had that Priest-paedo scandal therefore all kaflicks are paedos>> that's completely unacceptable because its taken it out of football and is attacking people's faith.

However, "paedo" and "paedophile" has unfortunately become something that football fans call people they don't like. I can recall Scotland fans singing about David Beckham and Alan Shearer with their "packet of sweets and a cheeky smile". At no stage did I think that those singing it genuinely believed that either player was a paedophile - it was just something to defame a player who scored a lot of goals for England. Paedophile had become a modern day w@nker or b@$tard.

Is it in bad taste? Yes.

Would I applaud if the clubs and the SPFL took effective action to stop fans singing about paedos? Yes, I believe I would.

If someone started a thread on the TAMB condemning songs about paedos and demanding something must be done would I incessantly post "but what about the sectarian singing"? No, I definitetly would not.

What if I said, never mind the sectarian singing, let's deal with the paedo singing first? What would you reply?

What if I said, never mind the sectarian singing, let's deal with the paedo singing first? What would you reply?

I'd listen to your rationale and if it was any good wish you luck, hoping that the SPFL would take the lessons learnt from that initiative and apply it to sectarian singing with similar vigour.

But after decades of inactivity on sectarian singing from the authorities and the clubs concerned I wouldn't be holding my breath.

Any more questions?

I see Barca are facing a fine in Spain because their fans sang a song calling Ronaldo "a drunk"!!!

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/spanish-league-chiefs-charge-barcelona-5179584

Aye, they sang that Ronaldo was "up to his knees in Glenfiddich"

Stan Collymore has gone off on one on twitter today. He called rangers fans out for singing sectarian songs, I think saying they were as bad as the chelsea supporters. so now the rangers fans are trying to gte him sacked off BTsport. in return he has raised a petition to end the singing of sectarian songs by the huns.

very entertaining stuff.