2018 Qualification Groupings - Page 2 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

2018 Qualification Groupings

kumnio

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Heard a rumour pre-Ireland game that Denmark in Copenhagen was being lined up for March.

Word in Warsaw was home game in March, and been a lot of talk over the weekend about it being Northern Ireland (a lot of talk about it yesterday from Northern Ireland fans on twitter).

They are sitting at 43rd just now, so could squeeze into the top 40 by March.

Word in Warsaw was home game in March, and been a lot of talk over the weekend about it being Northern Ireland (a lot of talk about it yesterday from Northern Ireland fans on twitter).

Gods sake Looks like we are going to be out sung again at home!!!!

Could the sfa pick a less exciting home game?

LOL my first thought exactly.

NI fan I was talking to yesterday says he is far from happy about it also, as they have a important home game against Finland on the Sunday and would rather the team were focused fully on that.

NI actually makes sense in terms of (manipulating) the rankings, what folk were talking about earlier in the thread. They are reasonably highly ranked at the moment after winning against Hungary and Greece, but it's still a game we would hope to win more often than not. Obviously it would help if they are resting a few players / taking it easy because they have a tough qualifying game in the same period. It's also reasonably good preparation for playing against the Republic in June, which is now our main focus for the rest of the season.

Edited by morrison1982

NI might not be the most appealing but it's exactly what many on here constantly suggest and slate the sfa for not doing. ie playing a team similar to who we have in qualifying. Obviously people assume as countries neighbour each other they play a similar style etc.

In Warsaw I heard it was going to be a home game in March.

Greece and Bosnia would both be good games.

I've not looked at the rankings for a while but from reading this thread I take it Cape Verde are above us? How the hell did that happen?!

Cape Verde have done well in African qualifying recently. IIRC they should have been in one of the WC playoff ties but got kicked out on a technicality. It's kind of hard to evaluate teams like that (or indeed ourselves!) against teams from other continents because they don't play many (if any) games against teams from outside their own zone. So their ranking partly depends on how the other African teams do in the World Cup and so on.

LOL my first thought exactly.

NI fan I was talking to yesterday says he is far from happy about it also, as they have a important home game against Finland on the Sunday and would rather the team were focused fully on that.

:lol:

If it's not spurious transfer rumours, it's rumours about friendlies. Fantastic.

Greece and Bosnia would both be good games.

Greece play Hungary in Budapest the night we play Gibraltar, so could if they do not mind a double away header, then could be a possibility.

Bosnia are away to Andorra on the Saturday, so either they need to agree to a day less recovery or we need to have a longer break between games.

Can not see it being either as I have suspected for a while that Strachan does not really care for friendlies and the world rankings and his attitude is "you are only as good as your last game".

Greece play Hungary in Budapest the night we play Gibraltar, so could if they do not mind a double away header, then could be a possibility.

Bosnia are away to Andorra on the Saturday, so either they need to agree to a day less recovery or we need to have a longer break between games.

Can not see it being either as I have suspected for a while that Strachan does not really care for friendlies and the world rankings and his attitude is "you are only as good as your last game".

No very good then!

Any one have an idea of what you ranking will be after these 2 games?

1 Germany

2 Argentina

3 Colombia

4 Belgium

5 Netherlands

6 Brazil

7 France

7 Portugal

9 Spain

10 Uruguay

11 Italy

12 Switzerland