The Worry... - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

The Worry...

ScotlandFanMuir

Every game in this group campaign is going to be absolutely vital, every single point is going to have to be fought for.

It's already got the makings of a group that's 2nd/3rd place teams are going to be decided by the odd goal.

That's where yesterday comes in.

The Ireland game was a shift and a half. Fair enough. Yesterday we didn't look up for it at all. The worry for me now is looking to our fixtures next year and in particular the DOUBLE HEADER in September.

Away to Georgia and at home to Germany. 2 games in 4 days. Right now, anything can happen in our group - but we've got to be targetting 4 points from those games. The question is though, are our players capable of producing twice in 4 days? Away in Georgia is going to be massive task and at home to the World Champions speaks for itself.

Yes, yesterday was a friendly but the players were giving it the 'this means so much more' chat.

A bit disheartened by yesterdays performance and work so I thought I'd come on here and depress you all too.

We travelled to Poland and gained a hard earned point after playing Georgia a few days earlier.

Think it's better that the Georgia away game is first. That's a must win if we want to finish in the automatic qualifying places and possibly 3rd.

Off the back of 3 points there and an off night for Germany then maybe we can get a result

Edited by ParisInAKilt

I doubt I have seen a more intense physically demanding game than Ireland last Friday, I was totally knackered afterwards & I was just sitting in the stand, everything was gave (by both teams)

Maybe with hindsight Strachan shouldn't have listened to his players & freshened the starting 11 ??

Whilst Germany have dropped points so far, to suggest we should be looking to take a point from them is daft.

We will go all out for the 3 points in Georgia and then hope for the best against the best team in the world.

This.

Anything from Germany was and still is a bonus. We'll go all in in the Georgia game and go for the win. The easier that is, the more chance we have of getting a bonus point or 3 from Germany. But the general point is fair: if we had a Poland/Ireland double header I'd be worried we couldn't get ourselves up for two big games.

I am not particularly worried.

You could tell after 10 minutes that it was different last night and remember Friday was a brutal, tense game.

As the poster above says we took a really good point in Poland after playing Georgia 4 days before.

After the 99 game and the 96 game I could hardly function as I was so gutted but this was an ill timed friendly so forget it - no points lost.

This group for us will now be decided by 3 games:

Ireland (A)

Georgia (A)

Poland (H)

We get 7 points or better from those then we get 2nd place, 5 or 6 points from those games might even be enough. We should get 6 points from Gibraltar taking us to 20 points and have a free shot at Germany at Hampden with nothing expected.

These 3 games are not part of the same double headers; June, September & October....concentrate on these 3 games, other 3 will take care of themselves.

Ireland (A)

Georgia (A)

Poland (H)

We get 7 points or better from those then we get 2nd place, 5 or 6 points from those games might even be enough. We should get 6 points from Gibraltar taking us to 20 points and have a free shot at Germany at Hampden with nothing expected.

These 3 games are not part of the same double headers; June, September & October....concentrate on these 3 games, other 3 will take care of themselves.

All good points.

7 points would be a fantastic return but all 3 are very tough matches. Getting nervous just thinking about it. Still got a long way to go to qualify.

Poland have beaten Germany and Ireland have taken a point off them.

For that reason alone, we have go to be aiming for a point in our home tie against the World Champions to match what the other teams in our group are doing.

The difference between going through in these groups and staying at home are the odd point here or there.

We've got to aim high in my opinion.

Got to keep things in perspective fellas, as much as we'd LOVE to have got it up they s last night the game was as good as irrelevant, it was basically just an irritation. Would you rather have swapped the results round? don't think so.

As much as I am pi$$ed off about it for obvious reasons, I'm more than happy we got the all important 2nd consecutive group win. I'd quite happily lose EVERY friendly if we won enough group games to qualify for tournaments.

Ireland (A)

Georgia (A)

Poland (H)

I'm with this. Any points off Germany is a bonus to any team.

I have some sympathy for the view that the Ireland game took it out of us, look at how much slower we were all over the park last night - until I look at the Ireland result from last night - 4-1 v USA. I guess the Irish weren't as tired as us...

I would be more worried if like last time the Georgia away game was the second game of a double header.

3 points required then anything from Germany is a bonus.

last Georgia away - ie under McLeish ?

it was midweek (2-0 loss / maroon kit - 16yr old keeper etc) meaning we had to beat itly at home on the satruday....

I doubt I have seen a more intense physically demanding game than Ireland last Friday, I was totally knackered afterwards & I was just sitting in the stand, everything was gave (by both teams)

Maybe with hindsight Strachan shouldn't have listened to his players & freshened the starting 11 ??

Yeah he probably should've rotated - fresh legs Russell etc made a difference. Broony looked knackered and Martin needs to stay away from KFC

I'm with this. Any points off Germany is a bonus to any team.

I have some sympathy for the view that the Ireland game took it out of us, look at how much slower we were all over the park last night - until I look at the Ireland result from last night - 4-1 v USA. I guess the Irish weren't as tired as us...

Ireland v USA was practically a B international. Ireland made loads of changes from Friday.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/30006678

Edited by morrison1982

Got to keep things in perspective fellas, as much as we'd LOVE to have got it up they bunny rabbits last night the game was as good as irrelevant, it was basically just an irritation. Would you rather have swapped the results round? don't think so.

As much as I am pi$$ed off about it for obvious reasons, I'm more than happy we got the all important 2nd consecutive group win. I'd quite happily lose EVERY friendly if we won enough group games to qualify for tournaments.

you just took all my hurt at losing to england away! cracker of a post!

It will be tight and require Scotland to be at our best to qualify. One good thing from last night was the introduction of Russell and May, both did not look out of place.

I put more stock in the fact that too many of our key players were to put in a poor display. Did fatigue play its part? Maybe mentally but for the first half hour we matched them but as soon as we went behind it was always going to be tough especially with out our No.1 striker Fletcher. We put in our poorest display for over a year whilst England (who are a better side) put in their best display by all accounts for about a year hence the result.