James Mclean Letter Re: The Poppy - Page 8 - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

James Mclean Letter Re: The Poppy

If the queen can shake hands with Martin mcguiness and Gerry Adams then James McLean can face a flag during a national anthem. It's actions like this that hold back the reconciliation in Northern Ireland.

• Replies 212
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Your army are the real terrorists. You know it.

You have any idea what plantations and british aggression did to Ireland?

I've got my own army? Why am I only finding this out now?

Time to invade England then....... ?

I saw the Yankees play the Blue Jays once and we got two anthems for the price of one, not to mention God Bless America, Take me out to the Ball Park and YMCA

Yea I guess most sports over there have teams in both country's , hockey was just first in my head. Sounds like you got a wonderful day out though haha

I respect the guy for his actions.

I think it's underestimated just how big a set of baws it took not to wear the poppy. It says a lot about how principled he is that he was prepared to do that in order to stand by his beliefs and bring the British army's actions in Ireland into the public arena for discussion.

I also don't see that this recent incident is hypocritical because he earns a wage in England. There's nothing to say he doesn't love England and enjoys working and living with the English. This is the same pish that is thrown at Scottish nationalists. Just because he doesn't want to sing some horrible anthem about saving a monarchy he obviously doesn't agree with, he hates England? Total rubbish.

Fair play to him.

I think it's underestimated just how big a set of baws it took not to wear the poppy. It says a lot about how principled he is that he was prepared to do that in order to stand by his beliefs and bring the British army's actions in Ireland into the public arena for discussion.

I also don't see that this recent incident is hypocritical because he earns a wage in England. There's nothing to say he doesn't love England and enjoys working and living with the English. This is the same pish that is thrown at Scottish nationalists. Just because he doesn't want to sing some horrible anthem about saving a monarchy he obviously doesn't agree with, he hates England? Total rubbish.

Fair play to him.

No one was asking him to sing it - just stand facing the flag during the national anthem while at his work. It's pathetic that he couldn't and he is a hypocrite. If he felt so strongly about it he wouldn't live in the uk, work for a British company or pay taxes here, which fund the forces he claims to despise so much.

. Perhaps if McLean has such a problem with things like this he should consider earning his living somewhere else.

If he felt so strongly about it he wouldn't live in the uk, work for a British company or pay taxes here, which fund the forces he claims to despise so much.

F*ck me, I have stumbled into the Daily Mail comments section by mistake, how did that happen?

You have to wonder how he can vilify the British army for the taking of innocent lives (which is a fair point), yet post pro IRA songs (before being banned from twitter) and wearing IRA badges. The lad is either a hypocrite or a bigot.

Also does anyone know if he turned his back when Ireland played England or in any cup finals or play offs? Maybe he did it this time because he thought he could get away with it

No one was asking him to sing it - just stand facing the flag during the national anthem while at his work. It's pathetic that he couldn't and he is a hypocrite. If he felt so strongly about it he wouldn't live in the uk, work for a British company or pay taxes here, which fund the forces he claims to despise so much.

I suppose he should just feck off back to his own country?

Edited by Dillinger

Fair play to him.

Given his new club it'll be interesting to hear his perspective on the Birmingham bombings.

You have to wonder how he can vilify the British army for the taking of innocent lives (which is a fair point), yet post pro IRA songs (before being banned from twitter) and wearing IRA badges. The lad is either a hypocrite or a bigot.

Also does anyone know if he turned his back when Ireland played England or in any cup finals or play offs? Maybe he did it this time because he thought he could get away with it

Freedom fighters and terrorists, it's not weird at all, surely football fans can understand that, diving for penalties is the most egregious thing in history till your guy does it.

Also "get away with it" he's not robbing a bank, he's just standing a different way from everyone else. Hardly grounds for deportation as some folk think. Sir, sir ,he's no singing the school song, he must never be educated here then.

Freedom fighters and terrorists, it's not weird at all, surely football fans can understand that, diving for penalties is the most egregious thing in history till your guy does it.

Also "get away with it" he's not robbing a bank, he's just standing a different way from everyone else. Hardly grounds for deportation as some folk think. Sir, sir ,he's no singing the school song, he must never be educated here then.

Hes going out of his way to make political points when playing football, hes a numpty because the points he is trying to make, whilst far from resolved have moved on from what he is protesting about. I dont doubt the British Army and the provisionals both got up to some unsavoury stuff . Thankfully it appears to have moved on a bit . All he is doing is drawing attention to himself and making himself look a prize prat. but its a relatively free country so crack on, he just has to take the flak that comes with it.

You are the third different person to post this right wing, britain first, EDL, Daily Mail bollocks. His beliefs have no impact on where he earns a living.

I sympathise with his views and in general have a high level of disdain for Britains colonialism ​past which oppressed people all over the world. I don't particularly like the army, or for that matter really recognise the Union Jack. For the last 10 years I have earned a living in britain, 5 in Glasgow and 5 in London, are you suggesting that I should seek employment in another country?

Hes going out of his way to make political points when playing football, hes a numpty because the points he is trying to make, whilst far from resolved have moved on from what he is protesting about. I dont doubt the British Army and the provisionals both got up to some unsavoury stuff . Thankfully it appears to have moved on a bit . All he is doing is drawing attention to himself and making himself look a prize prat. but its a relatively free country so crack on, he just has to take the flak that comes with it.

Listen if this is the sort of thing moves your soul to action then so be it, i've already spent too much time discussing it. :ok:

Folk on the TAMB outraged by someone expressing their right to freedom of speech/action that they want that person to leave the country.

What a bizarre mindset folk have :lol:

Without stating a pro or against view of McLean's comments and actions, it's fair to say that if he's free to hold the opinion that he does, then other people are entitled to hold their own opinion of him.

Is their actually any proof that (as suggested earlier) that McLean has in the past publicly made pro-IRA comments ? :blink:

Without stating a pro or against view of McLean's comments and actions, it's fair to say that if he's free to hold the opinion that he does, then other people are entitled to hold their own opinion of him.

Indeed. Although just as it's acceptable to post a critique of McLean's actions, it's acceptable to post a critique of the "go back to his own country" style posts we've seen on here.

Indeed. Although just as it's acceptable to post a critique of McLean's actions, it's acceptable to post a critique of the "go back to his own country" style posts we've seen on here.

Indeed.

The more stringent opinions on here seem to be split into 2 camps depending on what football team you support.

All I know about McLean is that he refused to wear a poppy (which I think is his right), and that the incident a few days ago (which seems to be a bit bawbaggish).

Nobody's yet provided any proof that he's done anything more than support his community for a event that happened 40 years ago.....it may seem to some a bit misguided and irrelevant, but it's his right.

If however, he's on record as supporting the more sinister side of Irish republicanism, then it's certainly the right of others to pull him up on that.

Ironically the guys only Irish because the English allowed him to choose so with the good Friday agreement.

He made his point before, he'll be vilified regardless of what he does now when the tune come on or its poppy day.

In summary, he's a dick and it's a shite song.

He's only Irish because England allowed him too ?

You are aware how stupid this is ? So say France can dictate to Germany who is German ?

Maybe you have been living under England far too long you have gone native

Ireland decides who qualifies who is entitled to Irish citizenship no one else

As for the GFA did nothing to alter Irish eligibility - red herring usually brought up by the ill informed or plain thick ( I haven't decided which you are)

He was eligible for citizenship before the GFA