Squad For Ireland And England Games - Page 2 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Squad For Ireland And England Games

wanderer

You could at least argue that Gauld & McGregor merited it. What has MacLeod done? For me, this is a kick in the teeth of all the young guys who are excelling for the Killie, ICT, Hamilton etc. this season.

At it.

I would agree with that, i think it's just a case of Strachan wanting to have a look at him

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The same reason Gauld and McGregor were called up - to get players who are more than likely going to be important for us in the future some experience of the international setup.

And come the next squad next year, he will go the same way as Jack, Pawlett, Guald, McGregor etc... with the next up and coming kid getting a place in the squad.

First post ever woohoo..

With the importance of the next two games we were never likely to see a new young face getting a game so as WGS says its to give them the off the Scotland Squad experience.

I'm more interested in who his 'wildcard' will be for the Gibraltar game for example, where they might actually get some game time..

Possibly Gordon has one berth earmarked every squad for such a talent. however I do have to laugh when the young lad is labelled as the next big thing. Let's wait until he gets to the top league and bigger pressures. Such spotlight is very counter productive . By the Scottish medias reckoning several years back John Fleck will be Getting his 50th cap and Mark Burchill his 100th against the Irish!

Don't forget Jamie Ness (now at Crewe) and Gregg Wylde (now at St Mirren) ! I remember the Daily Record having a right wankfest over those two a couple of years ago.

In fairness I used to tell my mates my mates that Paul Caddis would be amazing by now :-))

I'm more interested in who his 'wildcard' will be for the Gibraltar game for example, where they might actually get some game time..

I really hope come that game that he will call up 3 or 4, rather than his usual one, and maybe even start a couple of them.

Saying that, would not surprise me if we announce a friendly to go with that match against a half decent opponent and Strachan plays it safe with his usual style of squad.

You could at least argue that Gauld & McGregor merited it. What has MacLeod done? For me, this is a kick in the teeth of all the young guys who are excelling for the Killie, ICT, Hamilton etc. this season.

At it.

Who in Scotland is a better talent?

Strachan absolutely raved about him at one of his Q&A's last year and could not praise him highly enough.............

Not been in any squads for a while now and playing for a team third bottom of the Championship. I think it's fair to say Caddis isn't up to international football.

27-man squad and folk are moaning about a young player that almost certainly won't feature.

It's a good chance for the manager to see a possible future cap in training and get him used to the squad should his career kick on over the next 12-months (like Robertsons has).

It sends a positive message to young players that the manager is watching and a place in the squad is achievable.

I'd rather the manager picked players like Watt, Gauld, McDonald and McGregor than players that will NEVER make an impact at this level and has just been called up to make up the numbers.

The squad looks good to me and we can get a good result against Ireland.

As your own link shows, he is 'English.' Obviously has not declared for us or is 'iffy' so that's why GS has omitted him. Be comitted or omitted!

Cairney played for us at Under 19 and Under 21 level. He's already declared for us long ago.

He's also not a "granny rule" player. His father is a Scot.

Edited by ErsatzThistle

Some people just haven't got a clue. Gordon names a youngster in each squad that is hall-marked by his scouts and coaches as international-potential for the future, names them in a squad so he gets to look at them close-up in training, monitor their attitude and all-round values. It also is good because it keeps these youngsters feeling like they are in future plans and so much less chance (I would say) of them jumping ship or being poached by another team. Sadly though, some on here seem to think they know better than Strachan.

Don't forget Jamie Ness (now at Crewe) and Gregg Wylde (now at St Mirren) ! I remember the Daily Record having a right wankfest over those two a couple of years ago.

In fairness I used to tell my mates my mates that Paul Caddis would be amazing by now :-))

Anyone who ever touted Greig Wylde for a Scotland cap had either:

A. Never seen Greig Wylde play or

B: Never seen a game of football.

Jamie Ness did look a player when he broke through however being made of chocolate has severely hampered his progress.

Anyone who ever touted Greig Wylde for a Scotland cap had either:

A. Never seen Greig Wylde play or

B: Never seen a game of football.

Jamie Ness did look a player when he broke through however being made of chocolate has severely hampered his progress.

In other words, your average Daily Record fitba writer ^_^

Strachan absolutely raved about him at one of his Q&A's last year and could not praise him highly enough.............

Did he really? Or is it a "Levein indicated Fletcher rejected a call-up" type story?

27-man squad and folk are moaning about a young player that almost certainly won't feature.

It's a good chance for the manager to see a possible future cap in training and get him used to the squad should his career kick on over the next 12-months (like Robertsons has).

It sends a positive message to young players that the manager is watching and a place in the squad is achievable.

I'd rather the manager picked players like Watt, Gauld, McDonald and McGregor than players that will NEVER make an impact at this level and has just been called up to make up the numbers.

The squad looks good to me and we can get a good result against Ireland.

Given the players who have been called up 'for experience', I'd suggest its more likely to lead folk to think that he isn't watching.

As I said before, how will this resonate with the kids at Killie, Hamilton & ICT? Jeez, you could even suggest the kids at Hearts have the right to be a bit miffed given that most of them have played in the top division and they are currently top of the league.

Edited by The Boss