Scotland V Norway - Page 7 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scotland V Norway

Caledonian Craig

1 minute ago, bigfingers said:

Chucking wingers into the squad ain’t gonna solve much. We need Hickey, Robbo, KT and Gunn back for the Euros or we are fcuked. 

That's the massive take away, in two games we let in 5 goals and it shows first of all our squad is not very deep and how much of a difference those 4 players make....not that we doubted that.  McKenna needs a move in January.  I want to be fair to Clark, I remember the days of David Marshall when we were letting in 3 or 4 goals and he matured many years later. 

• Replies 234
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

4 minutes ago, ProudScot said:

Well Norway had a guy at a top English club who plays mainly premier league 2 matches and the odd 1st team game and he was brilliant tonight. We could’ve done the same with Ben Doak for example. We certainly could have done better than lumping a 31 year old squad player who is a cm out there I think 

So no-one then. Thanks

24 minutes ago, todd said:

John Mcginns post match interview, my wife put me right, I swear he said, when  asked who's idea the T shirts were, he said "it's those eejits at the SFA" Turns out he said, it's either Adidas or the SFA 😁

We all knew what he meant though. 😂 😂

I’m not quite sure why the manager didn’t give a start to either Shankland or Ferguson. I’m left assuming he’s still not seeing enough value in them.

Other than that I’m left thinking Armstrong is a much better option than Christie and Patterson/Taylor at full back will get ye hung! McKenna, I think has played well for us recently, I hope he’s looking for a loan move in January 👍

16 minutes ago, romanticscot said:

That's the massive take away, in two games we let in 5 goals and it shows first of all our squad is not very deep and how much of a difference those 4 players make....not that we doubted that.  McKenna needs a move in January.  I want to be fair to Clark, I remember the days of David Marshall when we were letting in 3 or 4 goals and he matured many years later. 

He was letting in 3 or 4 goals till the bitter end 😂

2 minutes ago, ProudScot said:

He was letting in 3 or 4 goals till the bitter end 😂

I had to look this up  https://www.scottishfa.co.uk/players/?pid=30428&lid=1

His Scotland career came in waves, 14-16 and then 19-21 with the last few years being his best for us. HIs early few, in 2004 and then again in 2009 were painful. 

6 minutes ago, slasher said:

I’m not quite sure why the manager didn’t give a start to either Shankland or Ferguson. I’m left assuming he’s still not seeing enough value in them.

Other than that I’m left thinking Armstrong is a much better option than Christie and Patterson/Taylor at full back will get ye hung! McKenna, I think has played well for us recently, I hope he’s looking for a loan move in January 👍

Or he has his “favourites” and can’t make impartial judgments 

11 minutes ago, ProudScot said:

If you’re saying Kenny McLean is the best winger available to Scotland then you need your heid examined 

Kenny McLean isn’t a winger, he wasn’t playing as a winger.  A midfielder playing on the flank is not necessarily a winger.  It’s not difficult.

I would've hooked Brown and Taylor at half-time.  I like Kenny McLean, but for shoring up a game near the end, not for trying to win one from the start.

Not too many positives from tonight apart from the way they clawed their way back in after losing 2 ridiculous goals.  No idea why Shankland didn't start and why Dykes came on before him.  Bizarre.  That chance for Brown just before Armstrong's goal... Shankland sticks that away every night of the week.

McRorie needs to move in January to see if he can become a back-up keeper or maybe even better as Clark was pretty honking tonight.

7 minutes ago, Scot1 said:

Or he has his “favourites” and can’t make impartial judgments 

Every manager has his favourites, it’s literally what the job is all about, to look at they players available to you, define a system and then select the best players for that system.

Your problem seems to be he doesn’t pick *your* favourites.   That’s a completely different thing.

4 minutes ago, aaid said:

Kenny McLean isn’t a winger, he wasn’t playing as a winger.  A midfielder playing on the flank is not necessarily a winger.  It’s not difficult.

So Clarke could’ve put a young player playing for a good Serie A team in there Or Kenny McLean

2 minutes ago, aaid said:

Every manager has his favourites, it’s literally what the job is all about, to look at they players available to you, define a system and then select the best players for that system.

Your problem seems to be he doesn’t pick *your* favourites.   That’s a completely different thing.

So why did McLean and Armstrong switch sides shortly after the game began? 

6 minutes ago, Scot1 said:

So why not try Doig, you could see Taylor was struggling from the 1st minute. 

I don’t know but I trust the manager. I think he’s earned that. You clearly don’t. That’s not to say he can’t be questioned but players who haven’t played or been tested are always better in fans eyes till you see them. Unlike us, the manager gets to see them in training and clearly he didn’t fancy Doig from the start or off the bench 🤷🏼‍♂️

McGregor stood out tonight and tried to take the game by the scruff of the neck, always wanting to get on the ball as well as directing others. McGinn got stuck in mainly in the first half and Patterson looked good coming out of defence. Apart from that there were few positives. The game had friendly vibes about it and a missed opportunity for a few to stake a claim.

3 hours ago, Yr Alban said:

Defence. Absolutely. Howling.

Yep. Taylor's taking the bulk of the criticism but none of his defensive colleagues covered themselves in glory either (with the possible exception of Patterson, for his goal-saving block).

Nae harm to Zander Clark, I'm sure he tried his best and it isn't his fault he was the best of the limited options available to Steve Clarke for this round of fixtures, but over the past two games he's shown he isn't good enough for international football. Jacob Brown, too, put in a lot of effort but just hasn't got it. He reminded me a bit of Kenny Miller without the ability.

2 hours ago, noctonjock said:

If I was josh Doig I'd be thinking what do I have to do to get a game cause the guy in front of me is shite . 

Obviously not  going  to be too harsh on our manager but to not give Doig a single minute when Taylor was at fault for 3 of the last 5 conceded then questions need to be asked 

Doig is obviously an unknown quantity at international level but surely if he was any worse than Greg Taylor he wouldn't be playing in Serie A!

Of the 5 goals we have conceeded in this break I think McGregor / Gordon / Gunn save at at least 2 if not 3 of them. 

None of them are stand our GK errors but probably just the difference between a decent SPFL GK and a really good one. 

Dont think Kelly would be any better and as much as I rate him I wouldnt call up McCrorie until he leaves Rangers. I actually think it sends the wrong message. He isnt a young prospect anymore. Either force a move or settle for being backup at Ibrox and nowhere near Scotland.

2 hours ago, bigfingers said:

Chucking wingers into the squad ain’t gonna solve much. We need Hickey, Robbo, KT and Gunn back for the Euros or we are fcuked. 

I think a winger would have been useful on Thursday against Georgia, who packed their defence and were intent on being hard to break down (as well as cheating and timewasting!). Someone who could run with the ball, beat his man and put in a good delivery could have opened them up a lot sooner. The trouble is, we don't many players who are capable of that. Ryan Fraser springs to mind and he's on form for Southampton just now, but I think he's still firmly in Steve Clarke's bad books.

2 hours ago, romanticscot said:

David Marshall was (and probably still is) a much better goalie than Zander Clark though. David Marshall was playing for Celtic in the Champions League when he was 19 and went onto get contract after contract with clubs down south. Zander Clark played for St Johnstone until he was 29 then couldn't get a club for months.