Injury Watch - Page 16 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Injury Watch

Caledonian Craig

• Replies 618
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 4/16/2024 at 11:16 AM, 0Neils40yarder said:

Holy fuck...the most mental of mental takes I reckon I've seen on here.

SOD was shite at his 'peak' and now isn't even the best aging right back at Motherwell 

im not saying O’Donnell should be in squad in normal circumstances but we have no one else who has played for Scotland at right back and he does have experience in last Euros. Don’t see Clarke taking a punt on Johnson or McCrorie.

Hopefully Hickey does make it and we go with him and Ralston as back up (assuming Patterson is unfortunately goosed as appeared to be on Monday night).

Edited by Gala Tartan Army (Borders)

2 hours ago, Caledonian Craig said:

I don't see how he 'knackers himself' by playing at the Euros. He is back in the gym and light training with the Euros still two months away. Even if he should fail to playfor Brentford he will be continuing to build his fitness up and can test things out in our two friendlies and take it from there. If he comes through those games fine then I cannot see any danger of him 'knackering himself' at the Euros considering he would have had around two and a half months of activity behind him without mishap potentially.

I think he'll end up going to the Euros, it'll probably end up that he'll play 60 mins in the group games, so he gets his fitness up for the later stages....

2 minutes ago, Bobby Russell's Lovechild said:

I think he'll end up going to the Euros, it'll probably end up that he'll play 60 mins in the group games, so he gets his fitness up for the later stages....

Yes, hopefully, that will be the case.

1 hour ago, Gala Tartan Army (Borders) said:

im not saying O’Donnell should be in squad in normal circumstances but we have no one else who has played for Scotland at right back and he does have experience in last Euros. Don’t see Clarke taking a punt on Johnson or McCrorie.

Hopefully Hickey does make it and we go with him and Ralston as back up (assuming Patterson is unfortunately goosed as appeared to be on Monday night).

Do you actually follow club football? I don't think O'Donnell even starts regularly for Motherwell anymore. The last euros was 3 years ago FFS what he did then is totally irrelevant! 

4 hours ago, Caledonian Craig said:

I don't see how he 'knackers himself' by playing at the Euros. He is back in the gym and light training with the Euros still two months away. Even if he should fail to playfor Brentford he will be continuing to build his fitness up and can test things out in our two friendlies and take it from there. If he comes through those games fine then I cannot see any danger of him 'knackering himself' at the Euros considering he would have had around two and a half months of activity behind him without mishap potentially.

5 hours ago, scotlad said:

I can see Pressley's logic here but I am not sure it's very good advice from a career perspective. If Hickey hasn't recovered sufficiently from his injury then attempting to play competitive football would likely exacerbate it, potentially leading to further issues in the future.

Just to add that the worst that could happen is he tears his hamstring again. As far as I am aware a hamstring tear is not a career-ending injury. Worst scenario would be perhaps 4 to 6 months out but he would play again I am certain of that.

No, me neither, but I'm not medically trained. It could be that he's able to continue his career but it becomes a persistent problem for him, meaning he never quite fulfils his potential. He has already been out since October and isn't expected back for Brentford any time this season, so it's clearly a problematic injury.

Hopefully, though, the injury has completely cleared and he's fit to play a part in the tournament.

Hickey will make the squad if he doesnt have another set back which would def rule him out. 2 months of building up fitness will allow him to play some part but he will be nowhere near his best and certainly not ready for 90 mins imo. Brentford certainly won't risk playing him before the end of the season. Patterson fitness will be key.

Does nobody remember Ryan Fraser being absolutely honkin playing as a wing back. I canny stand him and think he's very overrated, winger that canny go past someone or cross a ball (going by previous displays) but he has been decent this season. Not sure if Clarke will take him at all 

If hickey is unavailable or not 100, 💯 fit then I'd start Ralston. Steady and solid, you know what you're getting 

1 hour ago, Kirk said:

Does nobody remember Ryan Fraser being absolutely honkin playing as a wing back. I canny stand him and think he's very overrated, winger that canny go past someone or cross a ball (going by previous displays) but he has been decent this season. Not sure if Clarke will take him at all 

If hickey is unavailable or not 100, 💯 fit then I'd start Ralston. Steady and solid, you know what you're getting 

My suggestion of Ryan Fraser was as replacement for Lewis Ferguson not Hickey or Patterson. If you can find a more suitable one with international experience and goals for us and getting games and in form then lets hear it.

Some of the names being suggested for RB are solid SPL players for average teams but they'll be shown up at international level.  Greg Taylor starts for the best team in the SPL and he consistently gets targeted and shown up for Scotland. I accept his size doesn't help.

You could probably make the same criticism about Ralston being a good SPL player, and nothing more, but I think he's done OK for us.

3 hours ago, BryanBlessed said:

Some of the names being suggested for RB are solid SPL players for average teams but they'll be shown up at international level.  Greg Taylor starts for the best team in the SPL and he consistently gets targeted and shown up for Scotland. I accept his size doesn't help.

You could probably make the same criticism about Ralston being a good SPL player, and nothing more, but I think he's done OK for us.

Part of the problem with Ralston is he doesn't play enough for Celtic for us to be sure he is much better than any of the journeyman SPL Scottish right backs. He might look solid on occasion but there must be reasons he rarely plays & there's no English championship clubs seem to be showing interest. I do like his attitude & commitment, he isn't intimidated by opponents either but against real quality with pace I think he might be seriously found out .

I would like Ross McCrorie to be called up & tried out in the June friendlies. Think he might suit our style of play also as he is strong, works damn hard & quicker than Ralston . He is also a player who has actually been signed for decent money by a club playing higher level than the SPL.

My suggestion of Ryan Fraser was as replacement for Lewis Ferguson not Hickey or Patterson. If you can find a more suitable one with international experience and goals for us and getting games and in form then lets hear it.

I know Fraser did play wing back once & don't think it worked, can't recall the game though. Fraser is a great player at his best & especially if he still has a bit of pace having him & Stuart Armstrong as in form impact bench players is crucial for us. Trying Fraser as wing back again could be considered if circumstances required it .

I think people tend to get abit misguided about players such as Ralston because they play for Celtic and therefore assume that they are competent. Ralston is a backup player for Celtic. He is more than capable of holding his own when filling in for the odd run of games when Celtic dominate and any mistakes arent punished however anytime he has come up against quality opposition he doesnt look like half the player.

My big concern with him is he switches off / doesnt appear to read the game very well. An example of this was ROI 2nd goal in Dublin where he twice lets the goalscorer run off him but just doesnt recognise the danger until its too late. 

Ive not seen any of McCrorie when he has been in England but if he is getting regular game time then thats obviously a bonus over Ralston, Paterson and Johnstone who are getting very little.

I wonder if Jack Hendry might be considered for RWB. 

40 minutes ago, ProudScot said:

Harrison Ashby an outside shout for RB??

Is he getting a game anywhere? I believe he is on loan somewhere but not played much? At least McCrorie is getting a regular game and as I understand it, in the RWB position. I think he’s got to get a shot in the friendlies 

31 minutes ago, GHfaeGTA said:

Is he getting a game anywhere? I believe he is on loan somewhere but not played much? At least McCrorie is getting a regular game and as I understand it, in the RWB position. I think he’s got to get a shot in the friendlies 

Injured for past few months also.

Have to admit my excitement for the euros has rapidly decreased in the last few weeks with the recent results and injuries starting to mount. There will be more injuries to come before the seasons out to key players I’d be willing to bet. I really thought Ferguson was going to make a big impact and I genuinely thought this was our moment to get out of the group when we qualified but I’d be surprised if we get anything more than 1 point the way things are which will be another disaster - we cannot afford not to get out of the group stages, I believe we possibly hold a record in that respect. Feels like things are hanging by a thread.

42 minutes ago, JECK said:

Have to admit my excitement for the euros has rapidly decreased in the last few weeks with the recent results and injuries starting to mount. There will be more injuries to come before the seasons out to key players I’d be willing to bet. I really thought Ferguson was going to make a big impact and I genuinely thought this was our moment to get out of the group when we qualified but I’d be surprised if we get anything more than 1 point the way things are which will be another disaster - we cannot afford not to get out of the group stages, I believe we possibly hold a record in that respect. Feels like things are hanging by a thread.

I completely agree. I was saving for a new bigger TV to enjoy with the tournament but since our recent results and now the injuries my optimism has gone right out the window. I dont want to suffer embarrassment and have buyers remorse.   

Lets correct that unfortunate typo on BIGGER 

Edited by romanticscot

1 hour ago, JECK said:

Feel similar. I think team maybe peaked last year when we also generally avoided any injuries (we had injuries for last 3 qualifiers but had qualified by then). We are not getting same luck injury wise at moment.

Germany and Hungary looked ominously strong in March games as well, albeit I think any injury to Szoboszlai would knacker Hungary.

1 hour ago, JECK said:

we cannot afford not to get out of the group stages, I believe we possibly hold a record in that respect. 

Correct. We are the only country to have played at three Euros and not got out of our group once.

(We are also the only country to have played at eight World Cups and never got further than the first round).