Scotland Squad - Spain and France discussion - Page 3 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scotland Squad - Spain and France discussion

romanticscot

40 minutes ago, BryanBlessed said:

And better centre backs. Other than that agreed.

Yeh exactly so the reality is we are probably 3 or 4 starting players short of being a top table side. Better than we've been for years but let's not kid ourselves that there's not huge room for improvement.

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

13 hours ago, todd said:

I so wish we hadn't entertained that game against England, all it's succeeded in doing is introducing that element of doubt. If we'd not played that game, I'd be going into Thursdays game convinced we'd get the result we need but now, for some weird reason,  I mean it was just a shitty friendly ffs, I'm now convinced we're gonna get a right doing! Fuck those English cuntz

Could be a good thing. Wee wake up call for the team. If you want to beat the top sides you need to play like we did v Spain at home. Half hearted shite won't get us anywhere. 

We’re a tier below the likes of Spain and England so we need to be at our best, hope they have an off night and a wee bit of luck. 

Fitba’s a funny game, Spain score before half time and it’s potentially a very different second half. 

Looking forward to Spain away, what a position we’ve put ourselves in, hopefully we can go there and play some decent stuff. 

I still stand by what I said before the England friendly.

Friendlies against USA, New Zealand, Jamaica and teams of that ilk are of zero use to us. We look set to qualify for the Euros and for us to succeed we need to be playing teams of the quality that will be in the Euros. You only learn and get better by testing yourself against the best teams not by massaging egos by thrashing inferior opponents or else once we play in the Euros we are in for a shock.

On 10/7/2023 at 8:56 AM, Dillinger said:

Could be a good thing. Wee wake up call for the team. If you want to beat the top sides you need to play like we did v Spain at home. Half hearted shite won't get us anywhere. 

I agree. We were pretty comprehensively beaten by England and I wonder if Clarke expected that to be the case and hoped it might keep everyone grounded. 

10 hours ago, BryanBlessed said:

I agree. We were pretty comprehensively beaten by England and I wonder if Clarke expected that to be the case and hoped it might keep everyone grounded. 

I doubt Clarke had any say in the fixture, surely it's the blazers who arranged it and I'm sure he tried to win the game with the players we had. He's a proud Scotsman and would have liked to have won the same as the rest of us. The reality is that England are just better than us and Bellingham is a superstar in the making if not already, settled into his new team Real Madrid, 14 time European champions easily and currently top goal scorer in La Liga, doubt any of our current players would have that sort of impact.

2 hours ago, Grantyboy1983 said:

I doubt Clarke had any say in the fixture, surely it's the blazers who arranged it and I'm sure he tried to win the game with the players we had. He's a proud Scotsman and would have liked to have won the same as the rest of us. The reality is that England are just better than us and Bellingham is a superstar in the making if not already, settled into his new team Real Madrid, 14 time European champions easily and currently top goal scorer in La Liga, doubt any of our current players would have that sort of impact.

Exactly. And in no way is it a disgrace that we cannot much up to them. They have greater facilities and resources to bring players through. They have a much bigger pool of players to select from. There is far more money in their game (from TV rights to the EPL) and they have success at club level across the continent. All of which we do not have in Scotland.

9 hours ago, Grantyboy1983 said:

I'm not suggesting that he arranged the fixture as it was obviously a money-making exercise from the two FA's.  I'm also not suggesting he didn't want us to win but he probably expected us to lose against probably the best team in the world right now. It was a good way to bring some fans back down to earth in my opinion. We've done really well but everything has gone for us (long may that continue).

I doubt Clarke will call up a replacement, but Shinnie has been playing good.  Might be a useful player to add to the squad as long as we don't play him at left back.  

Edited by romanticscot

12 minutes ago, romanticscot said:

I doubt Clarke will call up a replacement, but Shinnie has been playing good.  Might be a useful player to add to the squad as long as we don't play him at left back.  

was it Kazakhstan away ; he was picked fairly last minute , thrown in at left back (where he hadn't played for years) got caught wrong side of the man for one of the goals, then basically set up as a scapegoat for the whole debacle

0-3 under Alex McLeish  i recall

Carver has confirmed there’ll be no replacement for Jack, saying it was more a hopeful call up than anything as they were aware he had a potential injury. 

Interestingly when asked if we’d play a back four because of Tierney missing out, like when Robbo missed the games against Ukraine and Ireland, he said it’s a possibility.

15 hours ago, ceudmilefailte said:

Personally find it very annoying that he doesn't call up replacements. I know they will be sitting on the bench, but it would be an experience for the player and giveClarke a chance to look at fringe players. 

Yeah agreed. Ideal chance to get someone in to train and look at them

On 10/7/2023 at 9:10 AM, Caledonian Craig said:

I still stand by what I said before the England friendly.

Friendlies against USA, New Zealand, Jamaica and teams of that ilk are of zero use to us. We look set to qualify for the Euros and for us to succeed we need to be playing teams of the quality that will be in the Euros. You only learn and get better by testing yourself against the best teams not by massaging egos by thrashing inferior opponents or else once we play in the Euros we are in for a shock.

Totally agree. We need to learn how to play top sides and tweak little things here and there which will allow us to be competitive. We have some weaknesses in the team which won’t be shown up by lesser teams. The only way to learn how to mitigate those weaknesses and maximise playing to our strengths will be through games against this type of team. Shying away from these type of games might mean we just get pumped in the Euros again. Facing up to these games gives us a chance to become better and hopefully get through the group.

55 minutes ago, breeks_mctavish said:

Totally agree. We need to learn how to play top sides and tweak little things here and there which will allow us to be competitive. We have some weaknesses in the team which won’t be shown up by lesser teams. The only way to learn how to mitigate those weaknesses and maximise playing to our strengths will be through games against this type of team. Shying away from these type of games might mean we just get pumped in the Euros again. Facing up to these games gives us a chance to become better and hopefully get through the group.

I wouldn't be saying sack Clarke but not making the last 16 in my eyes would be total failure unless we got a very unfortunate draw. 

I fear if we lose to Spain, Norway will see the door slightly ajar, giving them the boost needed to get a victory over Spain on their own patch.  Then it'll be onwards to bite number 3 of the Cherry in Georgia!

Obviously hope I'm wrong and we get this wrapped up this month

Edited by todd

6 hours ago, er yir macaroon said:

For me, it’s either Hickey as a straight swap for Tierney with Patterson at right wing back, or  Ferguson as an extra body in midfield in a 4-5-1 with two centre halves from Hendry, Porteous or McKenna. Take your pick of Hickey or Patterson as right back. 

Is Patterson who we want at RB when we'll be up against it? 

3 hours ago, todd said:

I fear if we lose to Spain, Norway will see the door slightly ajar, giving them the boost needed to get a victory over Spain on their own patch.  Then it'll be onwards to bite number 3 of the Cherry in Georgia!

Obviously hope I'm wrong and we get this wrapped up this month

Norway aren't that great and, even against us where they probably just deserved a win or a point they weren't great. I do expect us to lose to Spain just because they're really a much better side than us and won't be making all the changes they made at Hampden.  I hope I'm wrong, too.

Our centre backs are still my worry, especially Jack Hendry who is playing in a joke of a league. At the same time, he's put in great performances when not having much first-team football.