Scotland Squad - Spain and France discussion - Page 2 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scotland Squad - Spain and France discussion

romanticscot

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, scotlad said:

Greg Taylor is decent back-up. Nae point in bringing in Doig just to have him sat on the bench when he could be playing for the U21s.

I'm slightly surprised to see Kevin Nisbet in there when he's injured though, and no Lawrence Shankland. Nisbet is the better player, IMO, but at least Shankland is fit to play (I think).

Jacob Brown isnt someone I see the genius in, but at least he's clear in his commitment to the team, unlike certain others who have been called-up lately.

He's a slightly different kind of player but I dispute that he's better than Shankland! Took him 3 years to score almost the same as Shankland scored in 1. Saying that Shankland's right off the boil at the moment, looks like he's uninterested. Hopefully he's saving himself for Saturday but I'm not surprised he's not been picked. 

5 hours ago, ProudScot said:

Good squad. Jacob Brown is garbage as is Greg Taylor. Apart from that it’s as you’d expect.

Ryan Jack lucky to be in too you’d say. 

Now look here...with Tierney being out, Jack is the ideal candidate to protect the back two. We have no one else with his composure or defensive nous in midfield.

19 minutes ago, Third Lanark said:

Now look here...with Tierney being out, Jack is the ideal candidate to protect the back two. We have no one else with his composure or defensive nous in midfield. 

The Ryan Jack of 12 to 18 months ago yes but I'm not sure he is capable of that form now.

21 hours ago, Bzzzz said:

He's a slightly different kind of player but I dispute that he's better than Shankland! Took him 3 years to score almost the same as Shankland scored in 1. Saying that Shankland's right off the boil at the moment, looks like he's uninterested. Hopefully he's saving himself for Saturday but I'm not surprised he's not been picked. 

To be honest, in an ideal world neither of them would be in serious contention for a place in the squad, because neither of them are international standard strikers, IMO, but of the two I prefer Nisbet - he's more mobile than Shankland, puts himself about more and he's younger, meaning he's more scope to improve.

None of our prospective centre-forwards are exactly goal machines at the moment though.

On 10/5/2023 at 2:28 PM, scotlad said:

To be honest, in an ideal world neither of them would be in serious contention for a place in the squad, because neither of them are international standard strikers, IMO, but of the two I prefer Nisbet - he's more mobile than Shankland, puts himself about more and he's younger, meaning he's more scope to improve.

None of our prospective centre-forwards are exactly goal machines at the moment though.

Dykes isn't international standard either. He's underrated  to an extent and good at the job he does for us but Shankland is a better overall player in my opinion. I say that as someone who never rated him but his all-round game has really improved. 

1 hour ago, BryanBlessed said:

Dykes isn't international standard either. He's underrated  to an extent and good at the job he does for us but Shankland is a better overall player in my opinion. I say that as someone who never rated him but his all-round game has really improved. 

It really is the missing link, imagine us with a really top striker, we'd be right up there on the top table 

19 hours ago, HighlandScot said:

If Clarke was at Celtic Park yesterday hopefully he noticed Taylor have a poor game. Another who is very lucky to be in the squad is Jack, not nearly so influential as a few years ago. Against Spain I would definitely play a holding midfielder, but Hickey and Souttar ahead of Jack.

Difference between the Taylor situation and Jack is that we have alternatives such as Doig for his positon. Jack is the best holding midfielder we have. Hickey is a full back and Souttar a centre back. Not saying they couldnt play holding mid but equally theres no evidence that they can and qualifiers arent normally the place to experiment.

I so wish we hadn't entertained that game against England, all it's succeeded in doing is introducing that element of doubt. If we'd not played that game, I'd be going into Thursdays game convinced we'd get the result we need but now, for some weird reason,  I mean it was just a shitty friendly ffs, I'm now convinced we're gonna get a right doing! Fuck those English cuntz

Edited by todd

Just watching the championship game tonight and Siriki Dembele is getting some very good reviews, had a good start to the championship season after not quite making it at Bournemouth. 3 goals in first 6 games so far.

Anyone know if he's ever come under consideration? All the focus years back was on his brother who was massively hyped but so far hasn't quite met expectations. 

I thought Ivory Coast might've snapped him up but incredibly he's never been capped at any level for any national set up which I find bizarre.

If qualification can be wrapped up this month he'd be a good one to try out in the November and March period rather than Brown who is average and pretty much same as other forwards.

Dembele has pace, skill and can play wide so can offer something different perhaps?