Squad - Elliot Anderson called up! - Page 15 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Squad - Elliot Anderson called up!

• Replies 392
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...
52 minutes ago, kumnio said:

Looks like he has decided that he isn't Scottish. That should be the end of it.

Aye hopefully that draws a line under that fkin nonsense and there's no going back grovelling to him when he doesn't make the grade with his own country.

Keith Downie interviewed him earlier this week, and he said he is still very much making his mind up......

I suspect he tried a bit of what Aaran Hickey did a few years back, and skip the U21's to be straight into the main squad.... Clarke called him up to get a look, probably told him straight that he is not in his short term plans and will be a squad player for the next couple of years, and Anderson has probably thought that he will keep his options open for those couple of years.

Still think when Euros come around he will be backย 

That makes no senseย 

30 minutes ago, wanderer said:

Keith Downie interviewed him earlier this week, and he said he is still very much making his mind up......

I suspect he tried a bit of what Aaran Hickey did a few years back, and skip the U21's to be straight into the main squad.... Clarke called him up to get a look, probably told him straight that he is not in his short term plans and will be a squad player for the next couple of years, and Anderson has probably thought that he will keep his options open for those couple of years.

That makes no sense at all. Why would Clarke call up a player who had been dithering for years over his identity and then make a big deal of how he had now pledged his allegiance to Scotland, then tell him actually he wasn't really in his plans at all so he can just wait and see if he gets a sniff in a couple of years?!? There's no chance that's how it went down.

Anyway those on this thread who insisted, due to their personal insight,ย  he merely withdrew from the last because of an injury and is still fully committed to us (same as he did three successive under-21 squads whilst being fit to play for his club either side) clearly know better

Clarke's just making himself look like an idiot now though as he had confidently proclaimed just a few weeks ago that Anderson had spent time weighing up his options and now decided to commit himself to Scotland and now he's contradicting that again by saying he needs time again to think it through!ย  Basically acknolweding that the whole injury in training thing was a sham

He's already set his stall out with Adams and Gunn that he's going to indulge English players and long as they like until they decide they can't do any better so its inevitable you get situations like this, and will continue to do so. At least he's not going begging after Barnes now (not that he'll be available for a while anyway)

3 hours ago, wanderer said:

You on acid? Thats one hell of a view.

19 hours ago, kumnio said:

You on acid? Thats one hell of a view.

Anderson said on Sky Sports last week he is keeping his options open, so its clearly all about options from his point of view, and when you read Clarke in the Guardian, while not throwing Anderson under the bus, you can tell he was fuming with the tone of some of the answer's he was giving (starts off pleading with fans to lay off the boy, but they does go off on one on him about how he has not spoken to him since he left the squad).

Its fair to say we have even less need for him in next few years than England do in the next 10 years.

6 minutes ago, wanderer said:

Anderson said on Sky Sports last week he is keeping his options open, so its clearly all about options from his point of view, and when you read Clarke in the Guardian, while not throwing Anderson under the bus, you can tell he was fuming with the tone of some of the answer's he was giving (starts off pleading with fans to lay off the boy, but they does go off on one on him about how he has not spoken to him since he left the squad).

Its fair to say we have even less need for him in next few years than England do in the next 10 years.

Clarke has to be as diplomatic as possible. I think we can all understand that.

It is not rocket science though is it? Anderson's ego has been massaged by playing in the Champions League and now for a team likely to finish in the top six in the EPL. His England ambitions have probably seemed more realistic to him so he knocked us on the head.

I have no issues if he wants to go where his heart and soul is - that is how it should be. What annoys me is he has taken us for fools. Telling Clarke he who commit to us then reneging on it - that is a big no no and is why Clarke let anger shine through in some of his answers.

ย 

Get To Fuck !!!! End of! No excuses, no second chance, get to fuck !!! Imagine, chasing this cunt around when we have proud Scottish boys that would bleed for the dark blue... ๐Ÿด๓ ง๓ ข๓ ณ๓ ฃ๓ ด๓ ฟ๐Ÿด๓ ง๓ ข๓ ณ๓ ฃ๓ ด๓ ฟ๐Ÿด๓ ง๓ ข๓ ณ๓ ฃ๓ ด๓ ฟ๐Ÿด๓ ง๓ ข๓ ณ๓ ฃ๓ ด๓ ฟ

21 hours ago, mcnish said:

Clarke's just making himself look like an idiot now though as he had confidently proclaimed just a few weeks ago that Anderson had spent time weighing up his options and now decided to commit himself to Scotland and now he's contradicting that again by saying he needs time again to think it through!ย  Basically acknolweding that the whole injury in training thing was a sham

He's already set his stall out with Adams and Gunn that he's going to indulge English players and long as they like until they decide they can't do any better so its inevitable you get situations like this, and will continue to do so. At least he's not going begging after Barnes now (not that he'll be available for a while anyway)

Clarkeโ€™s done nothing wrong. Itโ€™s on the player.

I donโ€™t think he has enough pace to play in his favoured attacking role and itโ€™s not clear how good heโ€™ll be in a more central, deeper position. So Iโ€™m doubtful England or Scotland will be picking him in the longer term.

6 hours ago, Caledonian Craig said:

I have no issues if he wants to go where his heart and soul is - that is how it should be. What annoys me is he has taken us for fools. Telling Clarke he who commit to us then reneging on it - that is a big no no and is why Clarke let anger shine through in some of his answers.

ย 

Clarke's reaction suggests that's how it went down, although John Carver's comments about "we're having a look at him, he's having a look at us" suggest that it was less of a done deal.

I'm more minded to go with Clarke's version of events, going by the way he's reacted to the situation, which suggest that Anderson reneged on an earlier commitment. Barring some seriously crossed wires, if that's true, that's some bad form from Anderson. Whatever you want to say about Steve Clarke, he comes across as a thoroughly decent guy, and doesn't deserve to be messed about or made to look a fool.

I like Anderson as a player but the last thing I'll say about him at the moment is this: if he doesn't fancy playing for Scotland now, I doubt he ever will, because these are good times we're living through just now. It doesn't get much better than this!

1 hour ago, ProudScot said:

Not named in the England under 21 squad, obviously turned down a call up.

If he chooses Scotland after this hype and interest then that says a lot about his commitment to us.

Lets see what happensโ€ฆ

Yeh maybe out of respect for us he didn't want to be called up to their under 21's. Maybe the lad is genuinely undecided but I still can't help wondering if we had played anyone but England in the anniversary game he might have already been capped albeit in a non committal friendly.

ย Anyway it's got kinda boring chatting about him when none of us know what's going on in his head so I certainly won't be posting anymore until he finally decides.

I bit I don't get is Clarke saying he has not spoken to him. It makes Clarke's statement about him leaving the last squad with an injury a lie

Now from Anderson's point, if he is undecided and is waiting to see if he gets into their team, then sorry its a no from me.

Before anyone makes a comment on we already have a couple of players that Scotland were not there first choice (we have had loads over the years). I will support every player when they play for us but they will not get the same respect if I met them in the street compared to the other players.

I don't want a team full of England rejects. I don't even think Adams should have been picked but I can't fault him since he's come in.

Anderson is English, Adams is English etc.ย  My grandmother was English and guess how English I feel? Not at all. The only one I can believe genuinely has split loyalties is Scott McTominay and Peter Grant said he couldn't wait to play for Scotland and, let's face it, his dad probably encouraged him since he was young.