Squad - Elliot Anderson called up! - Page 10 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Squad - Elliot Anderson called up!

52 minutes ago, Burj_Alba said:

Feel more for Lewis Ferguson than Anderson, Lewis is playing at a high level, turns up to every squad, obviously likes the buzz of the camps but is not a first choice pick. Very mature interview with him on BBC, heard a bit of it on the Hanley Podcast. 

Would love to see him get 45mins against England instead of just his usual cameo

• Replies 392
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

6 hours ago, Tartan blood said:

Technically we have 2 Champions League winners (Gilmour and Robertson)

With the exception of goalkeeper, we just seem to be upgrading a position every time a new person is called up. Right back is probably the most glaring. We've gone from O'Donnell and Palmer, to Hickey and Patterson. That is an outrageous jump in quality.

Centre back, we pretty much relied on Hanley, Martin and Berra for a few years. Now you could throw 6 names in the air and catch any 2 and they'd be good enough to start. (Hanley, Cooper, Hendry, Porteous, Souttar, McKenna)

Centre mid, Gilmour will end up with 100 caps. And McTominay will have joined McGregor and McGinn in the hall of fame by this time next year.

I'd argue the Scotland camp is stronger than the Newcastle one. Anderson will not be put off at all.

Nice positive post which I admire but your kidding yourself if you think any of those 6 centre back options would currently start for Newcastle . 

What is 'new Scots' had to serve a sort of apprenticeship in the under 21s, maybe as an overage player, to bed them into the Scotland camp and 'give something back' up front, mentoring the younger players, before they got into the senior team? See if they are committed, good enough, better than what we have coming through anyway. If all positive, they will have earned their place in the full squad. And will at least have been to Scotland a few times 😉

21 minutes ago, exile said:

What is 'new Scots' had to serve a sort of apprenticeship in the under 21s, maybe as an overage player, to bed them into the Scotland camp and 'give something back' up front, mentoring the younger players, before they got into the senior team? See if they are committed, good enough, better than what we have coming through anyway. If all positive, they will have earned their place in the full squad. And will at least have been to Scotland a few times 😉

Working with Gemmill could be seen as a punishment

3 hours ago, exile said:

Or Clarke could just talk to them first and gauge their commitment? Worked with Dykes and Adams. Same with McLeish and McTominay and several other examples through the years. 

57 minutes ago, Texas Pete said:

Or Clarke could just talk to them first and gauge their commitment? Worked with Dykes and Adams. Same with McLeish and McTominay and several other examples through the years. 

As far as in know that's exactly what he has done with Anderson so there's not reason to question his commitment unless we've heard otherwise from a reliable source.

14 minutes ago, theabsentee said:

As far as in know that's exactly what he has done with Anderson so there's not reason to question his commitment unless we've heard otherwise from a reliable source.

100%

As I said earlier if he has changed his mind (and there is no evidence that he has) then it’s his loss. I won’t lose any sleep over whether he ever plays for Scotland although I hope he does and I’m sure he will. 

On the converse side of this, can you imagine playing for a country that you basically have no allegiance to? As a saints fan, Spoony playing for Canada at the world cup was great. But would your heart be right in it? 

I'm eligible for Scotland, England, South Africa and Singapore, but couldn't imagine playing for anyone else bar Scotland. 

Edited by saintydave

4 hours ago, saintydave said:

On the converse side of this, can you imagine playing for a country that you basically have no allegiance to? As a saints fan, Spoony playing for Canada at the world cup was great. But would your heart be right in it? 

I'm eligible for Scotland, England, South Africa and Singapore, but couldn't imagine playing for anyone else bar Scotland. 

Fair point but everyone is different. Most of us on here are raging mad Scotland fans but I bet all of us know Scots born and bred who share a great deal of apathy for the national side. In short, for some the fire burns but not for others and I'd say that is the same for professional footballers.

9 hours ago, saintydave said:

Like Karamoko Dembele. Ivorian family and had the tentative link of living in England merely weeks after birth. No blood links and no memory of living there

Edited by Bobby Russell's Lovechild

Noticed in an interview with Connor Barron about the U21s it’s mentioned that Jack Newman did some training with the senior side before they went off to Cyprus.

Glad that this along with Fiorini, King & Conway being invited to the last training camp shows Clarke also has eyes on the future

On 8/31/2023 at 3:46 PM, scotlad said:

He was born in Newcastle - close enough. It's certainly closer to Scotland than where a lot of people who call themselves Scottish choose to live.

"Close enough"? Newcastle isn't in Scotland, neither is Java, same difference. 

The Daily Mail are apparently reporting that Southgate says he likes Anderson and his pulling out of our squad is something the FA will be "picking up" (which obviously means they're going to get in touch to try and change his mind).

Watch this space, I guess...🤷‍♂️

Edited by scotlad

1 hour ago, scotlad said:

The Daily Mail are apparently reporting that Southgate says he likes Anderson and his pulling out of our squad is something the FA will be "picking up" (which obviously means they're going to get in touch to try and change his mind).

Or alternatively, Somebody(his agent?) told him that Southgate says he "likes Anderson" and that caused him to pull out of the squad.

If he did pull out of the squad for that reason (after joining up) then there really should be no way back for Scotland if his England career doesn't materialise. I know Stuart McCall did it the other way many years ago but.... 

1 hour ago, Burj_Alba said:

Or alternatively, Somebody(his agent?) told him that Southgate says he "likes Anderson" and that caused him to pull out of the squad.

If he did pull out of the squad for that reason (after joining up) then there really should be no way back for Scotland if his England career doesn't materialise. I know Stuart McCall did it the other way many years ago but.... 

I'm with you there, especially if he had previously told Clarke he was ready to commit to Scotland.

We'll see what happens though.

1 minute ago, ParisInAKilt said:

Not far fetched that someone’s had a word in his ear about England being interested and he’s pulled out. 

Agreed.

And if he is that easily swayed, to me, it would show where his heart really lies.

If I were a friend of his or family member I would tell him to do as his heart says and commit to England. No point in lying to himself and mucking about others. If, it turns out, England do not come calling, tough but at least he was true to himself and not purely out to enhance his CV.

I know much supposition there but it is obviously more than just 'injury' that saw him withdraw as various sources in the media are picking up on snippets.

Do people not think that if Andersons 1st choice was England that he would have sounded out the FA before accepting a call up from us?

I think he considered his position, picked us and then got injured. Hence why he was sent home after being assessed by our doctors.

Everything else is just the media, Southgate will of course hedge his bets because A) Anderson might turn out to be a superstar, B) its no sweat off Southgates nose if Anderson changes his mind and then gets 1 cap before being forgotten about and C) If he changes his mind it weakens Scotland who are improving at a fast rate, currently in a higher nations league group and are the nation most likely to be able to use the parent / grandparent rule for other potential England players.

If totally laid back with whatever Anderson decides but at this moment in time he has declared for us.

34 minutes ago, Diamond Scot said:

Do people not think that if Andersons 1st choice was England that he would have sounded out the FA before accepting a call up from us?

I think he considered his position, picked us and then got injured. Hence why he was sent home after being assessed by our doctors.

Everything else is just the media, Southgate will of course hedge his bets because A) Anderson might turn out to be a superstar, B) its no sweat off Southgates nose if Anderson changes his mind and then gets 1 cap before being forgotten about and C) If he changes his mind it weakens Scotland who are improving at a fast rate, currently in a higher nations league group and are the nation most likely to be able to use the parent / grandparent rule for other potential England players.

If totally laid back with whatever Anderson decides but at this moment in time he has declared for us.

Fair enough but Clarke himself has openly said since his withdrawal that he has choices to make. That tells me it was more than just an injury.

1 hour ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Fair enough but Clarke himself has openly said since his withdrawal that he has choices to make. That tells me it was more than just an injury.

Possibly but I doubt it. Given how Clarke dealt with Fraser, I cant see Clarke standing for that, even less so covering up for the guy.

Again imo its more likely that Clarke is just playing it cool / smart. Concentrate on the group he has. By saying what he did Clarke doesnt look stupid if Anderson changes to England. It also sends the signal that we arent desperate etc

I just cant see any scenario where Anderson actively declares for us, informs Clarke who calls him up, Anderson trains for 2 days and then decides this isnt for me and fakes an injury. As I said, theres no way that if he fancied playing for England that his agent wouldnt have sounded the FA out prior to him declaring for Scotland.

People are acting like him turning up at lesser Hampden suddenly alerted Soutgate to the player and they contacted him to say, what you doing, we want to call you up soon.

47 minutes ago, Diamond Scot said:

Possibly but I doubt it. Given how Clarke dealt with Fraser, I cant see Clarke standing for that, even less so covering up for the guy.

Again imo its more likely that Clarke is just playing it cool / smart. Concentrate on the group he has. By saying what he did Clarke doesnt look stupid if Anderson changes to England. It also sends the signal that we arent desperate etc

I just cant see any scenario where Anderson actively declares for us, informs Clarke who calls him up, Anderson trains for 2 days and then decides this isnt for me and fakes an injury. As I said, theres no way that if he fancied playing for England that his agent wouldnt have sounded the FA out prior to him declaring for Scotland.

People are acting like him turning up at lesser Hampden suddenly alerted Soutgate to the player and they contacted him to say, what you doing, we want to call you up soon.

A lot of sense there. It's not as if England won't have been aware that he's already played for us at age-group level, so I wonder if just a case of Southgate noticing that he's withdrawn from our squad and is wondering if he's changed his mind.

Surely, though, no professional person would be so fickle as to accept a call-up, after seemingly giving it some thought, then change their mind after a day or two. I guess time will tell.

12 hours ago, scotlad said:

Didn’t work with McTominay when he was making his mind up. I’m confident Anderson will be in our next squad & will get capped then. 

If I understood it correctly, the November games is where one cap will tie him to us. Maybe it’s worth just waiting until then to see what he really thinks and avoid some of the fannying about (fully acknowledging, though, that that might all be coming from the media and not the player himself). Doak could be getting that slot in October and then we can see what Anderson really thinks in November without half of the soap opera.

4 hours ago, Diamond Scot said:

I agree with all of this. 

Only thing I’d say is that Scott Burns (DR journo) is hinting tonight that there is something in this rather than just click bait headline. He’s normally pretty credible. 

Not fussed either way. What will be will be.