Eligble Scots 23/24 - Page 3 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Eligble Scots 23/24

syecosse

1 minute ago, wanderer said:

Apparently he has no shortage of options..... naturally England first of all, but he has links to Scotland, Ghana and Barbados through Grandparents.

Livramento is interesting to hear that we are actually following up on, but unless Hickey is out long term (ie the Euros) we are sorted in that position for the next 10-15 years with what we have already.

Apparently Livramento can play further forward, also.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just now, er yir macaroon said:

Apparently Livramento can play further forward, also.

As said, it would be good to have, but I think with Hickey we have someone that a lot of people just do not appreciate what we have with him (apparently Pep is a big fan of him and has made it known that as soon as it becomes known Hickey is available to buy, he wants first dibs on him, and apparently Bayern Munich are sniffing around as well).

If the long term plan for Hickey is to move him into a more central role and RCB, then Livramento becomes appealing, but for the moment its something that does not really suit both parties/

4 hours ago, er yir macaroon said:

Archie Gray probably has the greatest Scottish pedigree out of any player out there in terms of family achievements. He looks a tremendous talent. The prospect of Gray and Gilmour in the same midfield is mouth watering, but it doesn’t look like it is going to happen. 

Interestingly he seems to have been playing at rightback for Leeds of late. No idea if that's a deliberate positional switch or if he is versatile enough he is filling in for injuries. 

2 hours ago, Scots_Wha_Hae said:

Interestingly he seems to have been playing at rightback for Leeds of late. No idea if that's a deliberate positional switch or if he is versatile enough he is filling in for injuries. 

His dad had a decent professional career, far better than me! And was maybe unlucky not to win a few more caps. I'm glad that we'll fight England for young talent but it's worth reminding ourselves that potential isn't always realised. Iirc Archie's dad broke into George Graham's Leeds team when he was about 17 and was more of a winger than a central forward. He looked like he could be a fixture in the Scotland team but his career didn't develop the way I anticipated and it was many years before he gained his Scotland cap. Anyone else remember him as a youngster?

12 hours ago, wanderer said:

As said, it would be good to have, but I think with Hickey we have someone that a lot of people just do not appreciate what we have with him (apparently Pep is a big fan of him and has made it known that as soon as it becomes known Hickey is available to buy, he wants first dibs on him, and apparently Bayern Munich are sniffing around as well).

If the long term plan for Hickey is to move him into a more central role and RCB, then Livramento becomes appealing, but for the moment its something that does not really suit both parties/

Not sure I follow your logic there. Hickey could play right back and Livramento right midfield. As was said, you can never have too many good players. 

6 hours ago, Hertsscot said:

His dad had a decent professional career, far better than me! And was maybe unlucky not to win a few more caps. I'm glad that we'll fight England for young talent but it's worth reminding ourselves that potential isn't always realised. Iirc Archie's dad broke into George Graham's Leeds team when he was about 17 and was more of a winger than a central forward. He looked like he could be a fixture in the Scotland team but his career didn't develop the way I anticipated and it was many years before he gained his Scotland cap. Anyone else remember him as a youngster?

IIRC, his da started in a cup final for Leeds when he was 18 (I think it was the League Cup) to a wee bit of fanfare, but he never really kicked on from there.

I mind him playing for Scotland against Lithuania in about 2003, by which time he was at Bradford City. I think that was his final cap.

43 minutes ago, Kirk said:

Can't believe the amount of folk foaming over there English players. If they're not interested now then get them to fuck 

It is funny and highly hypocritical too.

I recall the seethe towards Aiden McGeady for choosing Ireland over country of his birth plus the angst there was towards Ireland for 'poaching' so many players for their teams of the 90s. Now our own fans are creaming themselves about Scotland doing the same as what they criticized Ireland for. Talk about one rule for one and one rule for another.

2 hours ago, Caledonian Craig said:

I recall the seethe towards Aiden McGeady for choosing Ireland over country of his birth plus the angst there was towards Ireland for 'poaching' so many players for their teams of the 90s. Now our own fans are creaming themselves about Scotland doing the same as what they criticized Ireland for. Talk about one rule for one and one rule for another.

The topics is what it is about eligible young talent, for me it's a damn sight more interesting discussing potential players who could make a significant difference to the level of our squad depth in the future as it if discussing the older average elements of our current squad.

If the likes of you & Kirk don't like the topic I don't know you bother posting on it. 

9 hours ago, er yir macaroon said:

Not sure I follow your logic there. Hickey could play right back and Livramento right midfield. As was said, you can never have too many good players. 

For that, it would mean either having to change the whole shape of the team, or drop someone in midfield, as Clarke's system is basically his LB and RB are his wide men.

Livramento has always been interesting, as it was him that made it known he was eligible, rather than the papers uncovering it, which has made it that he could maybe accept a call up if asked.

15 hours ago, Hertsscot said:

Vague memories he had two really good seasons at Sheffield United, but with the exception of a couple of good season in the early to mid 00's with the likes of Bradford, United and Burnley, he is one of these guys who suffers from being a "Vogts guy" and his career never really took off.

9 hours ago, Caledonian Craig said:

I think the two situations are different. Most English players who play for Scotland do so because they have no chance of getting anywhere near the England squad. It's certainly the case for Che Adams and Angus Gunn though Peter Grant has said McTominay genuninely couldn't wait to play for Scotland. That's why nobody is calling these players traitors in England.

Aiden McGeady would have walked into our team but he chose Ireland. Then I'm sure he had the balls to blame the criticism on bigotry or something when he'd get the same reaction if he was choosing England over Scotland.

11 hours ago, Super_Scotlandfan said:

Worth noting that Livramento is in the England under 21 squad and was name checked by Southgate for doing well this week. 

Staying with their under 21s for the time being and then re-assessing in a year or so, when he’s not eligible, probably makes sense to him. 

England also named 18 year old RB Rico Lewis in the first team add in Reece James and TAA and they are pretty well stocked at RB for the next 10 or so years....so maybe consider us more. 

31 minutes ago, syecosse said:

England also named 18 year old RB Rico Lewis in the first team add in Reece James and TAA and they are pretty well stocked at RB for the next 10 or so years....so maybe consider us more. 

It’s weird Lewis was called up ahead of Livramento. Makes you wonder if he would rather wait to decide for a full cap as you’d think he’d have got a call. Maybe that’s why Southgate namechecked him. 

42 minutes ago, ProudScot said:

It’s weird Lewis was called up ahead of Livramento. Makes you wonder if he would rather wait to decide for a full cap as you’d think he’d have got a call. Maybe that’s why Southgate namechecked him. 

I think Southgate is probably aware that we are sniffing around, so has to be seen to be making some kind of effort to keep these players.

Also I think after getting Gunn, Clarke might have raised the bar a little bit on the standard of players he can get from England.... had things been different, Anderson would be on his 3rd or 4th cap by now, and I still suspect that had he been fit, Barnes would have been in either this squad, if not the previous squad.

Livramento career has not really take off as much as people expected when he first broke in to the Southampton team (think he has only started 2, maybe 3 games for Newcastle, and most of his 6 appearances have been as a sub), that is not really form showing that a England call up is coming any time soon.

1 hour ago, wanderer said:

I think Southgate is probably aware that we are sniffing around, so has to be seen to be making some kind of effort to keep these players.

Also I think after getting Gunn, Clarke might have raised the bar a little bit on the standard of players he can get from England.... had things been different, Anderson would be on his 3rd or 4th cap by now, and I still suspect that had he been fit, Barnes would have been in either this squad, if not the previous squad.

Livramento career has not really take off as much as people expected when he first broke in to the Southampton team (think he has only started 2, maybe 3 games for Newcastle, and most of his 6 appearances have been as a sub), that is not really form showing that a England call up is coming any time soon.

Livramento has had a very bad injury that's without doubt held him back. He will be in or around the English squad by the summer unless he shocks nearly us all by choosing us or Portugal.

22 minutes ago, theabsentee said:

Livramento has had a very bad injury that's without doubt held him back. He will be in or around the English squad by the summer unless he shocks nearly us all by choosing us or Portugal.

Unless Newcastle really turn heads in Champions League and the League this season, I would be shocked if he breaks into Southgates plans this side of the summer, plus missing out on last summers U21 Euros success has probably seen him fall back a little in Southgates eyes a little with James Garner probably next on his list, with his own team mate at Newcastle ahead of him in the national team and now a player younger than him getting fast tracked, and no doubt Southgate will feel he needs to give Reece James after injury forced him out of the last World Cup.

I actually think there is more chance of him ending up choosing Portugal, but ultimatly he will probably be another player who just waits and waits for a England call up.

8 hours ago, wanderer said:

Vague memories he had two really good seasons at Sheffield United, but with the exception of a couple of good season in the early to mid 00's with the likes of Bradford, United and Burnley, he is one of these guys who suffers from being a "Vogts guy" and his career never really took off.

What I recall is that he was quite a quick wide player when he broke into the Leeds team (like his dad and uncle) but ended up as a centre forward who wasn't that quick but was good in the air. Unusual career progression.

17 hours ago, Caledonian Craig said:

The thing is, it is one rule for all. Maybe people have looked at countries like the Republic of Ireland and Wales - countries with smaller populations than Scotland, part-time domestic leagues and other sports as their most popular sport, yet who've been more successful than us so far this century - and asked themselves how they've done it. And one way they've done it - as unpalatable as it might be - is to use FIFA's eligibility rules to their advantage.

Maybe seeing people like McCarthy and McGeady playing in major finals (or Harry Souttar for Australia) while we're sat at home scratching our arses has led people to think, hang on, if we're going to lose players to other countries because of these rules, maybe we should start using them to our advantage too. Maybe people have realised that that is a more useful way to deal with the situation than just sitting there seething about a young talent ditching Scotland to go and play for someone else.

7 hours ago, BryanBlessed said:

I think the two situations are different. Most English players who play for Scotland do so because they have no chance of getting anywhere near the England squad. It's certainly the case for Che Adams and Angus Gunn though Peter Grant has said McTominay genuninely couldn't wait to play for Scotland. That's why nobody is calling these players traitors in England.

Aiden McGeady would have walked into our team but he chose Ireland. Then I'm sure he had the balls to blame the criticism on bigotry or something when he'd get the same reaction if he was choosing England over Scotland.

There was a wee bit of seethe in England back in the '90s over Ryan Giggs playing for Wales instead of England, IIRC (even though under the rules at the time he was only ever eligible to represent Wales!). If Harry Kane had decided to play for RoI - and he qualified to through his father - you can bet there would have been major seethe over that too.

McGeady's decision back in the 2000s to play for RoI annoyed people at the time because Scotland was struggling badly to produce players of genuine quality, and one of the few we did produce - or the press led us to believe we had produced - decides to play for someone else.

As it transpired, McGeady turned out to be a good player but not the superstar world-class talent he was billed as when he first arrived on the scene.  I've no doubt he would have made our squad if he'd decided to play for Scotland but for me, there was little between him and Maloney and McFadden, who emerged at roughly the same time.

17 hours ago, theabsentee said:

The topics is what it is about eligible young talent, for me it's a damn sight more interesting discussing potential players who could make a significant difference to the level of our squad depth in the future as it if discussing the older average elements of our current squad.

If the likes of you & Kirk don't like the topic I don't know you bother posting on it. 

It's a message board where people discuss the topics. I gave my opinion 🤷‍♂️