Eligble Scots 23/24 - Page 4 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Eligble Scots 23/24

syecosse

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

9 hours ago, Templeton_Peck said:

Papers down south are running the story tomorrow that we are after Antony Gordon after his snub from Southgate. 

Suppose if you are any striker in England, you have to look at it from the point of view that it was probably easier to get into the team in the 90's and early 00's, but at the moment nobody is going to dislodge Kane any time soon (he is good for at least another 4 years) and then you have a crop of players like Saka, Rashford, Sterling etc well ahead of you just now.

I do think come the March friendlies that Southgate will probably call up most of these eligible players.... just a case of how many turn into Harvey Barnes and wait years for a 2nd cap that never comes.

17 minutes ago, wanderer said:

Suppose if you are any striker in England, you have to look at it from the point of view that it was probably easier to get into the team in the 90's and early 00's, but at the moment nobody is going to dislodge Kane any time soon (he is good for at least another 4 years) and then you have a crop of players like Saka, Rashford, Sterling etc well ahead of you just now.

I do think come the March friendlies that Southgate will probably call up most of these eligible players.... just a case of how many turn into Harvey Barnes and wait years for a 2nd cap that never comes.

I don’t think they will call up many if any of them.

They have so much depth that none of those players are really on their radar.

I still think Barnes and Anderson will be in our squad next year. 

13 minutes ago, ProudScot said:

True, I think Gordon and Livramento are probably the most likely for a call up from Southgate in March.

Most the English media are talking about the disaster of a season Man United are having, yet for the money that Newcastle have spent of late, they are doing no better (I think if Newcastle's league form improves in 2nd half of the season and they are still in Europe and going strong, then Southgate might turn his attention to them, but I doubt it).

16 minutes ago, ProudScot said:

I agree, England's depth is such that they can now afford to 'lose' lesser players and not be too worried about it. The French, for instance, had no intention of playing Le Normand or Laporte to stop them playing for Spain. Both are significantly better players than anyone we are talking about. Honestly I would have picked Laporte if I were them but that's not the point really, the point is France didn't waste caps and cohesion on players they didn't think fit into their best team/squad. If Southgate does he's a bit of an idiot tbh.

10 hours ago, Templeton_Peck said:

Papers down south are running the story tomorrow that we are after Antony Gordon after his snub from Southgate. 

I'd be a hundred times more exited about Gordon than Barns. I might read too much into stats, but according to who scored they rate Gordon as the best player in the Newcastle squad so far this season Barnes is 19th,older and in a position we have players. 

At 22 Gordon has massive potential. 

5 minutes ago, ceudmilefailte said:

I'd be a hundred times more exited about Gordon than Barns. I might read too much into stats, but according to who scored they rate Gordon as the best player in the Newcastle squad so far this season Barnes is 19th,older and in a position we have players. 

At 22 Gordon has massive potential. 

I think Barnes could option to have in the squad for the next year or two until Clarke decides to go with Doak (if we do get Barnes, it is going to be one of those situations where you know he is just keeping the jersey warm for Doak down the road).

3 hours ago, wanderer said:

I think Barnes could option to have in the squad for the next year or two until Clarke decides to go with Doak (if we do get Barnes, it is going to be one of those situations where you know he is just keeping the jersey warm for Doak down the road).

Clarke got Robertson and Tierney into the same team. He can do the same with other players, if he wants to.

Gordon would be the cream of all of the other players mentioned. Young, played for two big sides and probably the most established in the Newcastle team than the other three. 

Don't see it though as even if Southgate doesn't rate him then a new manager will come in and its back to square one. Might want to wait to take his chance then. 

Anyone who watched that tonight and doesn't think that we should be searching every nook and crannie for eligible players, needs their heads read.

Aye we got away with a point, which isn't a disaster but the performance and in particular the drop off from some of regular starters to those that replaced them is stark.

As I said further up, you can never have too many good players and right now we clearly have good players that are accompanied by some that are not so good.

1 hour ago, 0Neils40yarder said:

Anyone who watched that tonight and doesn't think that we should be searching every nook and crannie for eligible players, needs their heads read.

Aye we got away with a point, which isn't a disaster but the performance and in particular the drop off from some of regular starters to those that replaced them is stark.

As I said further up, you can never have too many good players and right now we clearly have good players that are accompanied by some that are not so good.

Aye totally agree 

19 hours ago, 0Neils40yarder said:

Perfectly summed up🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿💪🩷

On 11/13/2023 at 6:19 PM, Hertsscot said:

Part of the problem is that top Scottish talent is liable to end up in England and having kids in England: Gray, Weir, Fletchers, Gunn. And it's not just football, Redpath played for England, Kenny Logan's son saying he wants to play for them. And it's not just us, Haaland could have been competing with Kane for the no 9 shirt and I'm sure there are others.

It's much less likely that we'll have top English players having kids born or being schooled up here. The closest to that has been the Jordan Rhodes situation.

THIS. It doesn’t get discussed a great deal, but it’s crucial. The best Scottish footballers have always gravitated to English clubs - the money on offer being better (ridiculously so now) and the chance to play in a higher standard of league, with more talented team-mates. And people most commonly have their kids at the sort of age when footballers are in their prime. So there’s always a good chance that our best footballers’ kids end up born in England. Paul Dalglish was born the year his dad signed for Liverpool and would have been born there had he arrived a few months later.

Then, if the kids are good enough, England will get first dibs on them in most cases, and Scotland only if they don’t quite make the grade. The odd one may want to represent Scotland instead (I would have) but most will want to represent the country which will give them the biggest chance of success.

As has been mentioned, in rugby it’s even worse. Economic migration to England (mainly to London) is very much a thing, especially for middle-class professionals who are predominantly the ones who play rugby in Scotland. So there are plenty of rugby players in England with Scottish names and Scottish parents, playing in the England setup because they become less marketable when they lose their EQP status. Fin(lay) Smith and Fraser Dingwall are two examples.

Zander Clark's flapping and flailing over the past couple of games is a taste of what the McGlashan mob on here would have had us subjected to during the entire campaign if they'd had their way.

In fact, had Steve Clarke not persuaded Angus Gunn to play for Scotland I doubt we'd be qualified by now, not with Clark or Liam Kelly in goal.